OT: Coronavirus XXXV: Y'all Got Any More of Them Vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
You know what's fun to do?

Find a hard surfaced chair, that's been placed on a hard surfaces floor, and unashamefully let one rip n feel the chair vibrate into the floor and the walls while the sound reverberates through the room. And then have the wife come to yell at you because we're out in public but she stops mid sentence while the smell begins to ass-sualt her nasal senses to the point it's burning her nose hairs, thus forcing her to have to turn away and run from the area.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You know what's fun to do?

Find a hard surfaced chair, that's been placed on a hard surfaces floor, and unashamefully let one rip n feel the chair vibrate into the floor and the walls while the sound reverberates through the room. And then have the wife come to yell at you because we're out in public but she stops mid sentence while the smell begins to ass-sualt her nasal senses to the point it's burning her nose hairs, thus forcing her to have to turn away and run from the area.

You sir are an expert on biological warfare!

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it is apparently a big deal based on the group having done the research (one of the most prominent in the field), the method (looking at not only antibodies but also t-cells) and the conclusions. Robust (not complete) immunity to Covid19 lasts at least 5-8 months.

News article: https://www.businessinsider.com/long-term-coronavirus-immunity-months-years-2020-11
The study: Immunological memory to SARS-CoV-2 assessed for up to 8 months after infection | Science

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it is apparently a big deal based on the group having done the research (one of the most prominent in the field), the method (looking at not only antibodies but also t-cells) and the conclusions. Robust (not complete) immunity to Covid19 lasts at least 5-8 months.

News article: https://www.businessinsider.com/long-term-coronavirus-immunity-months-years-2020-11
The study: Immunological memory to SARS-CoV-2 assessed for up to 8 months after infection | Science

Its been out for a little while. Good evidence with speculation that if you've had covid you'll have long term immunity. Of course no way to prove that, but people who contracted SARS in 2003 are immune to SARS-cov-2 now. 17 years later. That's why this insistence on not going for herd immunity was ridiculous from the beginning. Literally worst case scenario is you only get 1 year immunity, best case we never see this disease again. Now with the SA variant hitting younger kids, it's even dumber that they weren't exposed to the less lethal version of the virus. Potentially saving quite a few young lives.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Its been out for a little while. Good evidence with speculation that if you've had covid you'll have long term immunity. Of course no way to prove that, but people who contracted SARS in 2003 are immune to SARS-cov-2 now. 17 years later. That's why this insistence on not going for herd immunity was ridiculous from the beginning. Literally worst case scenario is you only get 1 year immunity, best case we never see this disease again. Now with the SA variant hitting younger kids, it's even dumber that they weren't exposed to the less lethal version of the virus. Potentially saving quite a few young lives.
It's been out for less than a week, but I guess that can be called a little while.

Literally the worst case scenario according to this study is that you get 5-8 months robust immunity. The rest are just your assumptions. That last one about saving young lives by exposing more people earlier is missing so much context that it is just ridiculous, jmo though.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It's been out for less than a week, but I guess that can be called a little while.

Literally the worst case scenario according to this study is that you get 5-8 months robust immunity. The rest are just your assumptions. That last one about saving young lives by exposing more people earlier is missing so much context that it is just ridiculous, jmo though.

Well if the virus mutates right now and starts killing children do you think policy makers made the right decision to try and shield them from the virus? Knowing they'd have long term immunity if they caught the current virus which gives them mild symptoms? Because that's what we may have with the South African Variant.

And I feel, I read the study more then a week ago. I want to say it came out around December 28th, another study showing 6 months immunity also came out in early December IIRC.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Vaccine manufacturers already have the base 'recipe'. All they need to do is make a few subtle changes to counteract any mutations which may slip by the current vaccine recipe and back to stabbin' and jabbin' with the updated version. This was posted on BBC News three days ago:

South Africa coronavirus variant: What is the risk?

Prof Francois Balloux, from University College London, said: "The E484K mutation has been shown to reduce antibody recognition. As such, it helps the virus SARS-CoV-2 to bypass immune protection provided by prior infection or vaccination."
But even in the worst case scenario, vaccines can be redesigned and tweaked to be a better match in a matter of weeks or months, if necessary, say experts.

Pfizer already says theirs works on both variants, despite it not being 100% proven or concluded with 100% certainty.

Pfizer says its coronavirus vaccine appears to work against U.K., South Africa variants

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Nothing was done.

LEVY: Second wave ignites 'humanitarian crisis' in long-term care homes | Toronto Sun

"Despite the numerous press conferences hosted by Premier Doug Ford and his senior ministers over the past few months promising changes to address the concerns raised by the Canadian military last May, the second wave has ripped through long-term care (LTC) facilities yet again, with all the same issues under the microscope."

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Well if the virus mutates right now and starts killing children do you think policy makers made the right decision to try and shield them from the virus? Knowing they'd have long term immunity if they caught the current virus which gives them mild symptoms? Because that's what we may have with the South African Variant.

And I feel, I read the study more then a week ago. I want to say it came out around December 28th, another study showing 6 months immunity also came out in early December IIRC.
That is also what we may not have with the South African strain. I thought you were the one shooting down fear mongering here, so far every official source says that while it is more transmissible there is no evidence that these variants cause more severe illness or increased risk of death. Your question is not really relevant to be honest, they did not know at the time, they could make educated guesses, but they did not know. Also kids don't live in a bubble. Parents, grandparents, teachers, etc. It was about reducing transmission to others, not about specifically protecting the kids, you know that.

It was published less than a week ago and, as I wrote in my first post, the point that has been made over where I live is that this is significant because of who did the study and how it was performed. I know there are other studies which indicate the same, but this is obviously very solid. Not sure how/why this has anything to do with the content though, actually not sure why you felt the need to make a point as if I was posting old news. Or maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say there.

Reactions: Lacaar

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not enough people were frightened to be in favour of the vaccine(s) initially.

Regardless of anyone's take on the vaccine, unless we reach herd immunity as a species relatively soon there will continue to be mutations of this virus as mutations tend to occur when there are large numbers of people or animals infected. The virus will be jumping to other species and mutating potentially making it more lethal as well. One way or another we need to knock this damn thing down and personally I would rather get the vaccine than long haul covid or die. I'd also MUCH rather we get this shit over and done with so that we can go back to not wearing masks and get life back to how it was before the cluster f*** that was 2020 and is 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad