OT: Coronavirus XXXV: Y'all Got Any More of Them Vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I still think they need to give us some reasonable targets or dates, or both. Otherwise, this is going to fall apart pretty fast. The worst thing is not knowing when.

So have all of the prisoners gotten theirs already up there? We have a situation here where a senior home hasn't been vaccinated yet and there has been 5 workers that have tested positive in the last month or so. The plan is to start vaccinations of the residents there in the middle of February. This vaccine rollout has been a complete cluster so far.

Reactions: oilers'72

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So have all of the prisoners gotten theirs already up there? We have a situation here where a senior home hasn't been vaccinated yet and there has been 5 workers that have tested positive in the last month or so. The plan is to start vaccinations of the residents there in the middle of February. This vaccine rollout has been a complete cluster so far.
Ran out of vaccines, so the prisoners are contemplating a hunger strike.;)
The government announced that all LTC homes in the province have had vaccinations. Hmmm....must have forgotten about my mom then, because she hasn't received hers yet.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
ya my buddy is a personal trainer and is pulling out his hair in frustration due to the lack of direction
not surprising though coming from the government
Yup, saying we aren't going to do anything until the numbers come down more is just way too ambiguous and invites non-compliance. Come down to what? Hospitalizations at 500? 300? 150?
ICU's under 100? 70? 50?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I still think they need to give us some reasonable targets or dates, or both. Otherwise, this is going to fall apart pretty fast. The worst thing is not knowing when.
I think the one thing to keep in mind is even though Hinshaw said things aren't changing that she doesn't really have the final say. Of course she wants things shutdown. It's in the best interest for her job that things stay shut down.

Now it's up to the people in charge of the economy to state their case to open things up and for Kenney to take that information and make a decision.

Reactions: Duke74

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Yup, saying we aren't going to do anything until the numbers come down more is just way too ambiguous and invites non-compliance. Come down to what? Hospitalizations at 500? 300? 150?
ICU's under 100? 70? 50?

They are not being very active on tracking resolved/recovered numbers either. Theres been a lot of lag on that. Community cases, that test positive, and that are not in hospital or school, they wouldn't necessarily be reported or found to be recovered all that often now. Tracking being overwhelmed also deepsixed the check up calls or information to see how people are doing. being that after a positive test people could expect to be recovered in around 10 days (onset has already occurred) the active numbers are currently highly overestimated.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Israel still leads the way with around 40 % of the population vaccinated. And we're not even the end of January yet.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I understand there are logistics and variables involved here, but looking at this from an entirely objective view:

The world has been shut down and has been put on pause due to a deadly virus leading to the fastest creation, testing phase and production of a worldwide distributed vaccine in history that will battle against it, and we just...don't have it.

Frustrating.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Well given the complete botch job most western countries achieved in every other area related to the pandemic - I guess a vaccine roll-out debacle should not be a surprise .

Isn't Canada making it's own vaccines or is it just importing everything from the states? If one crawls out of the western MSM bubble you see that the countries that have done the best in controlling this virus are taking a different approach. For example, Thailand is buying the Sinovac vaccine which uses well tested (if somewhat less effective) dead virus technology for immediate use in at risk populations. It also cut a deal with AstraZeneca for domestic production of their newer technology vaccine through a local pharmaceutical company; but that will only be approved after more safety data is available (probably later in the summer). Until then they are using their effective public health systems to keep things under control and the fatality rate as low as possible. Common sense has not been entirely stamped out in a grab for profits over anything else. Korea and most other advanced countries in Asia are doing the same thing. Making sure the new vaccines are safe and effective, and until then, using public health tools to keep things in check and prepare the infrastructure.

South Korea's waiting game with the COVID-19 vaccine

So Asia is watching how the guinea pigs in west do before committing wholesale to unproven new technologies, and Canada would likely be well served by paying more attention to successful countries rather than relying on the failed state to the south.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
We tied up our facilities capable of making the Oxford vaccine with endless issue filled renovations. We ignored a company in Toronto that offered back in April 2020 to ramp up capability to produce mRNA vaccines (they gave up most of their facility rental space as they waited for the government to reply). We failed to secure proper agreements that guaranteed us first vaccine batches, then had to beg for earlier deliveries to try to shut the opposition party up, but that may have now got us stuck as one of the first countries to be bumped back for the current production delays.

This is all going really well!

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
We tied up our facilities capable of making the Oxford vaccine with endless issue filled renovations. We ignored a company in Toronto that offered back in April 2020 to ramp up capability to produce mRNA vaccines (they gave up most of their facility rental space as they waited for the government to reply). We failed to secure proper agreements that guaranteed us first vaccine batches, then had to beg for earlier deliveries to try to shut the opposition party up, but that may have now got us stuck as one of the first countries to be bumped back for the current production delays.

This is all going really well!

Yeah not surprising. Similar situation with rapid antigen testing being available in the spring but none could get licensed for all kinds of bs reasons. If you don't have domestic production capacity then you beg when the SHTF. Same thing happened with N95 masks didn't it? But there are options. I would open up to pretty much all vaccine makers who can get licensed and let people make their own decisions in consultation with their physicians. Clearly that's not going to happen in a heavily politicized environment where corporate money and needs are served first.

spider0179

Apr 29, 2017
Possibly just me... but..
Anyone else feel this/these magical cures and their lack of availabilty may be due to Corporate greed in all aspects of how threes a buck to made on on every level..
Packaging/logistics/creation..
Supply and demand
"Make the people wait".. It can only increase profit on all levels

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Possibly just me... but..
Anyone else feel this/these magical cures and their lack of availabilty may be due to Corporate greed in all aspects of how threes a buck to made on on every level..
Packaging/logistics/creation..
Supply and demand
"Make the people wait".. It can only increase profit on all levels

My personal opinion would be that the competition of different vaccines is healthy enough that there is incentive right now for different vaccine producers to get product out ASAP.

When it comes to trying to vaccinate the poor areas that will become the sources of new mutations when all the wealthier countries are vaccinated...I think that really will be the test. Are they going to maintain enough scarcity to try to make it too expensive for organizations to help these countries out and try to squash a lot of potential for harmful mutations? There is obviously great financial incentive for mutations that need a new vaccine to arise once COVID-19 is minimized in well off countries.

Reactions: spider0179
Oct 15, 2008
Spring. April at the earliest. It’s so far away they can’t say because it would be too negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->