Coronavirus/NHL Suspension Talk

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
No guarantee we do or don’t add a significant player. Rather have the youngsters get some much needed playoff experience and also see where people like Manson and rakell fair in them( since imo they are on thin ice )
I actually think that if we`re rested and healthy, we definitely can take some teams out. We have solid backend (D+G) and if Getzy can become his best for a short run, we`re dangerous.

However, it would suck not having a top pick after a loss-filled season :laugh: Depends on a format but this would not be the same playoff experience for youngsters, imo. So wouldn`t be worried over that this time.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What if the lottery sees the #5 pick move to #2, #3 or #4 ? That means Stutzle, Byfield or Drysdale. To lose out at a chance at one of them for 4 game sweep in the playoffs is horrible for the future of the franchise. If its Byfield that makes them deeper down the middle in the future with Byfield, Zegras, Getzlaf, Steel and Lundestrom, if its Stutzle they got a guy who can develop chemistry with Zegras in the future, if its Drysdale then the D is set for the future.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Yeah it doesn’t make sense to me. Plus, the bottom teams are relying on building onto their future with those top picks. I would think to make everyone happy, expand the playoffs to some of the bubble teams, and maybe make them play a one game playoff for the WC spots, similar to what baseball does.

The standings don't do the league a ton of favors. Even with the clearest dividing line, there's 7 teams clearly below .500 leaving 24(the number they seem to be looking at) at or above that mark, still has the Sabres and Devils with semi-legitimate complaints. Basically if they won their two games in hand over the Habs, they'd be in over them. It's highly unlikely but you can't really tell them they're that wrong.

I do think that's the best scenario, it has the best case. Well, actually, if they can figure a way to make it work with 11 teams per conference, that has a better one with no team having a legitimate complaint they were unfairly left out. But I have no idea how that would turn out.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
For all the debate about whether it'd be better to make the playoffs or have the picks, I think its mostly moot. The league is probably deciding Monday that they're having the draft in early June, presumably with a lottery coming in mid-May. There's no way they're also deciding on a playoff format, they don't even know if the regular season is going to be resumed or not. Regardless of the system we're gonna have the 5th best odds no matter what.

I also highly doubt they'll have any kind of playoff that involves this team making it, it's much more of a legitimate complaint that pretty much anything else they can do. They'd have an easier time just sticking to the current system as is, just sorted by points percentage.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Game 3 of the 2017 SC playoff game between the Ducks and Flames is being replayed on Prime Ticket and even though I know the outcome, it's disgusting how much the Ducks get shafted on penalties. 13 minutes into the game, Calgary has had three power plays and two power play goals. One penalty for interference came minutes after the Flames didn't get called for interference when they should have and then later a late hit on Bieksa could have been interference or a late hit as well and no call. The Flames can hold onto Ducks arms and sticks and no calls. Yup, that's California refereeing for you. I'm so glad the Ducks got the last laugh in this game and in the series.

Theodore is getting a lot of minutes without Fowler (thanks Kneeordano) and Vatanen. :banghead: :madfire: Murray.

Last edited:

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Game 3 of the 2017 SC playoff game between the Ducks and Flames is being replayed on Prime Ticket and even though I know the outcome, it's disgusting how much the Ducks gets shafted on penalties. 13 minutes into the game, Calgary has had three power plays and two power play goals. One penalty for interference came minutes after the Flames didn't get called for interference when they should have and then later a late hit on Bieksa could have been interference or a late hit as well and no call. The Flames can hold onto Ducks arms and sticks and no calls. Yup, that's California refereeing for you. I'm so glad the Ducks got the last laugh in this game and in the series.

Theodore is getting a lot of minutes without Fowler (thanks Kneeordano) and Vatanen. :banghead: :madfire: Murray.
Was that the ridiculous Sam Bennett hit from behind? I couldn't believe that wasn't called.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Too bad Zegras and Badini's ELCs don't start till next year. I would give them both a look if we theoretically made the playoffs.

Zegras-Getzlaf-Milano
Rakell-Steel-Silfverberg
Badini/Jones-Henrique-Heinen
Deslauriers-Agozzino-Terry

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Gudbranson
Djoos/Larsson-Hakanpaa/Irwin

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Sources: NHL mulling conference-based playoffs.
The top four seeds, determined by their standings points percentage when the regular season was paused, would receive byes through a round of best-of-five play-in series that would feature the fifth seed through the 12th seed.

I like the idea. This way the bubble teams can still play their way in. And pretty much everyone starts from the same place - trying to regain chemistry and getting up to speed. The first couple rounds could be training camp level sloppy though.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
We’re in the most frustrating part of the whole process. The curve has flattened and even got down rather significantly. But it still doesn’t feel like we’re closer to normalcy than we were a month ago.

Reactions: Duck Off

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
A closer look at the NHL’s 24-team playoff proposal - TSN.ca

Not all of those players would need to return. A 24-team format means the season would be over for Detroit, Ottawa, San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim, New Jersey and Buffalo. That would officially mark the Sabres’ ninth straight season outside of the playoffs and the first time since 1995-96 that all three California clubs missed. Those seven clubs face the prospect of not hitting the ice for up to nine months, depending on when the 2020-21 season starts.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
We’re in the most frustrating part of the whole process. The curve has flattened and even got down rather significantly. But it still doesn’t feel like we’re closer to normalcy than we were a month ago.

One way in which things are getting back to normal is every week there are more and more cars returning to the freeways.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Just give the Ducks a top 3 pick and let’s call it a day!
Well, Boston's too. I know they get a bye but if they go out early do we get a better pick? Does that affect the lottery? Will the lottery only be the seven teams not in the playoffs? So many questions.

Bye not buy.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well, Boston's too. I know they get a buy but if they go out early do we get a better pick? Does that affect the lottery? Will the lottery only be the seven teams not in the playoffs? So many questions.

There are so many questions. They are trying to make everyone happy and it’s impossible to do that. So someone will get screwed, and I hope its not Anaheim or the Rangers.

If I get my way, Ducks get a Top 5 pick guaranteed, praying for Top 3, and Rangers get a shot at a playoff spot with this 24 team thing they are implementing. Ducks need this top pick to help with their re-tool, reboot, remake, re-whatever you want to call it. Rangers and other teams in their boat (bubble teams) don’t.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Hopefully they either just have the lottery be the bottom 7 teams, and draw for the top 3 spots, or the lottery include everyone (maybe except the teams that get a bye in the "first round") and draw for the top 3 spots, but allow no one to move up more than 4 places.

Reactions: DigiDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad