Coronavirus/NHL Suspension Talk

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
In an alternate universe right now we would all be finalizing our brackets and discussing the first few completed games of the 2020 playoffs.

giphy.gif

Also I think the draft lottery would be done and we could fantasize about prospects.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
And presumably we would descend into another debate about if the Kase, Ritchie and Sprong trades were even worth it, and arguing about depth charts.

Man, it is kind of surreal that less than a month ago hockey was still going. It feels like everything kicked into high gear the moment Rudy Gobert pulled that shit with the mikes and then got diagnosed with COVID-19 less than a day afterwards.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
And presumably we would descend into another debate about if the Kase, Ritchie and Sprong trades were even worth it, and arguing about depth charts.

Man, it is kind of surreal that less than a month ago hockey was still going. It feels like everything kicked into high gear the moment Rudy Gobert pulled that shit with the mikes and then got diagnosed with COVID-19 less than a day afterwards.
Rudy Gober is an elite shot blocker. He blocked every shot in the NBA and the NHL this year :sarcasm:

Reactions: Ducks DVM

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
It makes me wonder if Kase had this. He was out sick for what, 2 weeks? Flu like symptoms. Maybe it really wasn't his head

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hey guys, what's up? I'm hearing some scary numbers in NY, but Cali seems "better". Just hang in there, Italy is going up and down but it's indeed getting better so USA will do the same if people will follow the rules. Best wishes!

NY is a mess now. I flew back home just before the shit hit the fan.

anyway hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious like this kitty...

56A4C307-95C6-4C1D-B890-DA49959BBD3B.jpeg

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Governor Newsom said no mass gatherings this summer (Pro Sports, Disneyland, etc.)

Empty stadiums/arenas, with players and personnel being tested for Covid-19 often, is the most likely (or only) way Sports leagues can restart.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Governor Newsom said no mass gatherings this summer (Pro Sports, Disneyland, etc.)

Empty stadiums/arenas, with players and personnel being tested for Covid-19 often, is the most likely (or only) way Sports leagues can restart.
a vaccine is the only way we'll be able to have pro sports played in front of fans again in this country

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The majority of the NHLs revenue is gate driven isn’t it? If they were to play all of next season without fans (looks like that could be very possible at this point) how much of a hit would the players have to take for the league to break even?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
The majority of the NHLs revenue is gate driven isn’t it? If they were to play all of next season without fans (looks like that could be very possible at this point) how much of a hit would the players have to take for the league to break even?

Yes, if they determine the entire 20-21 season will be played in empty arenas...a one season salary reduction of 25-50% makes sense. That’s just the first thought in my head, I have no idea what the NHL balance sheet looks like.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Florida is a place that I wouldn't want to live in right now. Covid cases are popping up all over the place and they are setting records for daily temperatures in April. As I understand it these are temperatures that they usually see in July as highs. That's a really bad intersection of things to be happening. I think we have a Floridian or two here. Stay safe.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Florida is a place that I wouldn't want to live in right now. Covid cases are popping up all over the place and they are setting records for daily temperatures in April. As I understand it these are temperatures that they usually see in July as highs. That's a really bad intersection of things to be happening. I think we have a Floridian or two here. Stay safe.
their governor has handled this just about as bad as anyone could have

Reactions: Exit Dose

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Their current focus is still trying to squeeze the remainder of 19-20 and playoffs into this summer. So, we’ll see...

I think hockey is done for this season, regular and playoffs. Would have been done anyway now for us.

I hope they can at least get a half of season of baseball in now. That is looking to be in jeopardy now.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The new cases rate has been falling pretty steadily in the US now for a couple weeks. Deaths are still crazy though

I still sayJuly is when sports will return with no crowds.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
At this point it’s just best to call the season and focus on next year. The logistics of getting this done (At all, let alone in a manner that withholds the integrity of the Stanley Cup!) are going to be too much.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
At this point it’s just best to call the season and focus on next year. The logistics of getting this done (At all, let alone in a manner that withholds the integrity of the Stanley Cup!) are going to be too much.
It will come down to dollars like it always does but yeah, going to be a brutal playoff. There will be even more injuries than normal too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad