Coronavirus/NHL Suspension Talk

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It will come down to dollars like it always does but yeah, going to be a brutal playoff. There will be even more injuries than normal too

Yeah agreed. I heard somewhere (I think on insider trading) that the NHL has $500M in sponsorship revenue and income from TV deals riding on completing the playoffs and awarding the cup. Which explains why Bettman is seemingly adamant we will see hockey again this season.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Insider Trading: NHL viewing future in phases

NHL has a four phase plan. At this point they still see regular season games as viable (which is ridiculous!). Basically at end of day though health officials will need to give it all the ok which isn’t going to happen anytime soon. Lots of info in there but nothing hugely noteworthy. Sounds like Bettman is pushing hard for an early June draft.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Insider Trading: NHL viewing future in phases

NHL has a four phase plan. At this point they still see regular season games as viable (which is ridiculous!). Basically at end of day though health officials will need to give it all the ok which isn’t going to happen anytime soon. Lots of info in there but nothing hugely noteworthy. Sounds like Bettman is pushing hard for an early June draft.
For what it's worth, it sounds like Germany and Italy are planning to continue on their football seasons to finish them up beginning next month. I don't think they are officially allowed yet. It's not just the NHL.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hey just checking in, hope all is well. Man these times suck. If I could go 12 rounds with thing thing and kick the crap out of it, would do it.

Reactions: Exit Dose

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
What happens to all the free agents? If their contracts are up in July are those extended and insured? I assume a late start to the season next year and fewer games unless Bettman can pull off some miracle in June.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
My guess is the league wants to capitalize on people not doing much to get TV viewers. Either get them hooked on hockey or else get some good viewership numbers to leverage during TV contract renewals. It’s also possible that NBC and the RSN’s are pressuring them so that they can get some content as well. NBC has 3 weeks of Olympic programming void to fill, and I’m sure with live sports, broadcasters could charge advertisers more.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
6:00 pm Prime Ticket:

upload_2020-4-27_17-32-51.jpeg

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
and lose our top 5 pick because of it. that format easily punishes us the most out of any team for no good reason.
Is that confirmed? IF the league goes with this format, you are only excluding 7 teams from the playoffs correct?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Man I miss that blueline. That was peak Manson, Montour playing way over his head, Fowler had his career year and Lindholm and Vatanen while both playing with separated shoulders and other ailments were still really effective in the playoffs, especially Hampus defensively.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ducks need that Top 5 pick more for their future. They are not playoff contenders. This would hurt them more by sacrificing that Top 5 potential pick for a one and done in the playoffs this year. The NHL sometimes just doesn’t really think very well.

Reactions: Paul4587
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Ducks need that Top 5 pick more for their future. They are not playoff contenders. This would hurt them more by sacrificing that Top 5 potential pick for a one and done in the playoffs this year. The NHL sometimes just doesn’t really think very well.

They actually probably wouldn't. The league badly wants the draft to happen in a month so there's a decent chance it'll happen before the season resumes.

I'm guessing there's no way that happens because of how absurd it is. They seem greatly worried about bubble teams getting the shaft so they're going to still keep two out of the hunt while two clearly worse teams get to play playoff hockey? No chance IMO. Its a bluff.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Here’s a thought . Keep draft order as is, to keep draft in June. Do new playoff format ! Ducks would finally get some good karma back from a league who’s officially shaft us year in and out

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If they do some sort of playoff format where 24 teams get in the top 7 picks I guarantee would go to the bottom 7 teams who didn’t play in the playoffs. So if somehow we got in we would be picking highest of those in the playoffs but below a team like NYR who got shafted. We would have no 8 overall in that case.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Imagine seeing our sorry ass team having to play in the playoffs, would be even worse then our last playoff appearance :laugh:

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
They actually probably wouldn't. The league badly wants the draft to happen in a month so there's a decent chance it'll happen before the season resumes.

I'm guessing there's no way that happens because of how absurd it is. They seem greatly worried about bubble teams getting the shaft so they're going to still keep two out of the hunt while two clearly worse teams get to play playoff hockey? No chance IMO. Its a bluff.

Yeah it doesn’t make sense to me. Plus, the bottom teams are relying on building onto their future with those top picks. I would think to make everyone happy, expand the playoffs to some of the bubble teams, and maybe make them play a one game playoff for the WC spots, similar to what baseball does.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Man thjat situation would screw us over if we have to play playoffs and lose top5ish pick

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Man thjat situation would screw us over if we have to play playoffs and lose top5ish pick
No guarantee we do or don’t add a significant player. Rather have the youngsters get some much needed playoff experience and also see where people like Manson and rakell fair in them( since imo they are on thin ice )

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
No guarantee we do or don’t add a significant player. Rather have the youngsters get some much needed playoff experience and also see where people like Manson and rakell fair in them( since imo they are on thin ice )
no, but we have a much better chance at high quality player if we draft in the top 5 instead of the bottom 15 of the 1st round. Also, I don't think the young guys need 4 games of playoff experience over a much needed high draft pick. They can get the experience when the team deserves to be in the playoffs, not when they get in based off of some weird format that only exists because of a global pandemic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad