Coronavirus/NHL Suspension Talk

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Hopefully they either just have the lottery be the bottom 7 teams, and draw for the top 3 spots, or the lottery include everyone (maybe except the teams that get a bye in the "first round") and draw for the top 3 spots, but allow no one to move up more than 4 places.
Feels like the easiest thing to do is hold the lottery amongst the 7 excluded teams, with the rest of the positioning determined by the traditional standings/conference finalists. Maybe they'd use Points % to determine? I also like this because then you don't get another team near the playoff bubble possibly moving to get a Top-3 pick.

But I could also see them waiting for the play-in rounds to conclude and adding in the eliminated teams. Of course a wrench there is what happens if a 5 seed that was comfortably in a playoff spot loses there and then ends up in the lottery drawing?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I’ll just say, it’s pretty dumb to have the playoffs still. I want hockey back just like everyone, but cancelling the season isn’t the end of the world.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
For those interested, here are the best of 5 "Qualifying Round" matchups:

PIT vs. MTL
CAR vs. NYR
NYI vs. FLA
TOR vs. CBJ

EDM vs. CHI
NSH vs. ARI
VAN vs. MIN
CGY vs. WPG

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

PIT vs. MTL
CAR vs. NYR
NYI vs. FLA
TOR vs. CBJ

EDM vs. CHI
NSH vs. ARI
VAN vs. MIN
CGY vs. WPG

I can see more than a few upsets there.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I’ll just say, it’s pretty dumb to have the playoffs still. I want hockey back just like everyone, but cancelling the season isn’t the end of the world.
It's easy to say, but cancelling the season would be disasterious financially for the NHL. With the prospect of no fans going to games next season too that's a huge monetary loss for NHL teams, so the NHL will want to get all the money it can get to soften that blow.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So Anaheim’s season is officially over. Hope next season isn’t too delayed. Now have to hope for a Top 3 pick at the draft.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

PIT vs. MTL
CAR vs. NYR
NYI vs. FLA
TOR vs. CBJ

EDM vs. CHI
NSH vs. ARI
VAN vs. MIN
CGY vs. WPG

Most of these look pretty even and they could go either way, but I would be shocked if Pittsburgh lost to Montreal.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
So in this time of self isolation I decided to go through some old things abd found a box full of old hockey cards from the 90s. I'm not really interested in keeping them or cataloging them. Anyone have any ideas on what to do with them. I feel wasteful to just toss them.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
With all these riots showing tens of thousands of people inches away from each other when are we all going to realize we got hoodwinked and demand this country to reopen?
A good amount of the country is open. It’s really just the big counties that have kept dine in and bars closed still. I think it’s time for LA to open.

concerts and sporting events aren’t happening this year or next year

I understand your point, I even agree to a certain degree. But understand that if you think the US got hoodwinked then so did the entire rest of the world.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
With all these riots showing tens of thousands of people inches away from each other when are we all going to realize we got hoodwinked and demand this country to reopen?
There are at least 111,000 people in this country (John Hopkins figures as of this morning) who have died from COVID-19 since late February, and who might disagree with the concept of being hoodwinked. But of course they can't disagree because they are dead.

So here is the question I always ask people who want to open everything up the way it was, how many deaths are you willing to accept in this country each year from COVID-19 to operate the country the way it was in January, 2020? Many people sputter at this concept, but it is a valid policy consideration as to what can/should be opened up.

Reactions: Goose of Reason

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I don’t agree with the end conclusion of that post, but the first part of it brings up an interesting question. If the virus is truly as prevalent and communicable as it’s said to be, wouldn’t you expect a huge spike of positives in the next week or so? You basically had every large city (and many small cities) completely ignoring social distancing and basically every other preventative guideline with thousands upon thousands of people being shoulder to shoulder for days on end.

You can almost treat it as an unofficial experiment to see how active the virus is in current conditions.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Well I don’t know about the whole year(no one does) but I’d imagine the 2020-2021 NHL and NBA seasons will be without fans. It is what it is

Either that or authorities just accept that the virus is going to run rampant and hope it becomes less deadly over time. It’s a can’t win situation really.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
One of the highest death and case rates per million people, but sure. You got hoodwinked :laugh:

Reactions: Goose of Reason

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We flattened the curve, but that doesn't mean the Kung Flu got defeated. We're still about 6 - 12 months until we find a vaccine. The point of the lockdown was to prevent the overcapacity of hospital beds and ventilators. The most prone are the elderly, but the young are far more resilient. Being outside in the sun is a good event because the sun's rays does kill viruses. We should still practice social distancing, wearing masks, and hygiene. (Well, I wear a mask because I just don't trust others.) I guess baseball day games would be a good event to go to, but that heat will make it miserable! (So make sure you know which side gets the shade and which side will bake you.)

In CA, LA got hit the hardest in cases and deaths. But if you live in other counties, it isn't bad. Yet, it's LA that dictates what we do in the whole state.

I'm more worried about the elderly. Right now, we do have ample hospital rooms and ventilators. We should open up, but in strategic places. Since all CA NHL teams were kicked out of the playoffs, that's a good thing for us. LOL But we should have technology to detect one's heat signature for large venues. Still, the youth can still carry the virus without showing any symptoms. Or have portable/handheld UV light rays that kill viruses.

As for the protests, I just remember when there was a protest in Spain at the beginning of the pandemic. Then the cases skyrocketed after the protest in Spain. But the whole wearing a mask thing wasn't enforced either. ::: shrugs ::: just gonna see what happens in the next couple of weeks with Kung Flu cases and where they're at.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The virus is absolutely nuts in that there is so many unique things about it, so many variables and so many things we continue to learn about it.
Now they are releasing reports and studies that say the virus has mutated in a good way in becoming less deadly & potent.

Only in America do we not protest and demand justice for the 110,000+ that have died because the Beijing government held back intel/data on the Corona Virus.
Regardless of how many more died because our president is a idiot, we were gonna lose 75,000+ because of Beijing.

Its now possible to ease tensions with China since June has not been about corona virus anymore.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
There are at least 111,000 people in this country (John Hopkins figures as of this morning) who have died from COVID-19 since late February, and who might disagree with the concept of being hoodwinked. But of course they can't disagree because they are dead.

So here is the question I always ask people who want to open everything up the way it was, how many deaths are you willing to accept in this country each year from COVID-19 to operate the country the way it was in January, 2020? Many people sputter at this concept, but it is a valid policy consideration as to what can/should be opened up.
I'll bite on this one. First of all, we know and have known that we were never going to be able to contain the spread, just delay it. The only reason for the quarantine was to slow the spread so hospitals had capacity. Since that isnt an issue, very few of those deaths are preventable. We have data on areas now that have opened up and their hospitals are not overly run. So opening up isnt creating many, if any additional deaths. The quarantine is and will cause deaths related to substance abuse, suicides, etc. A typically bad seasonal virus kills 40k-150k so this isnt some massive anomaly. So if we know a quarantine only delays the spread and doesnt really prevent deaths, i would say we should only consider a quarantine when death rates are over 2% (of everyone that has it, not just those in the hospital). Right now we are closer to 0.3% and that is going down by the day.

The numbers are also skewed because of how we treated it. Ever notice how the vast vast majority of people dying are on Medicare and Medicaid? That's because those public hospitals have massive financial incentive to label cases covid and put intubate someone on a vent. When on a vent you are on paralytic with 8-9 different drugs constantly running through your veins, including fentanyl. A healthy person cannot survive on a vent for very long. You can go braindead. This is why you are seeing massive clusters of deaths at certain public hospitals that are heavily funded by Medicare and Medicaid.

Dr.s have learned how to better handle this and death rates are already much much lower now that we arent putting people on his pressure setting vents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->