Coronavirus/NHL Suspension Talk

Oct 18, 2011
When did I not accept the Johns Hopkins death numbers? I don't know what to believe. Are deaths being reported accurately? When it becomes obvious to me that COVID has become political, I trust no one. I have seen polar opposite sides both citing "science" and "data" to bolster their positions. I'm not a puppet to either side, I question everything that we are being told.
regardless of whether people believe the official numbers or not they provide a ballpark figure. Either way the US has done a poor job handling the virus and we havent learned the lessons of the 1918 flu

We do know that large gatherings are spreading the virus and as citizens we should take a responsibility towards one another but that hasn't been happening. I am not signaling out 1 group of people either I have been seeing dumb behavior from virtually every race and age group

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
You don't know the long term impacts either. Yet you claim the data is clear. You are speculating and people beating this drum are imposing tremendous social costs they refuse to acknowledge. What are the long term impacts of sedentary lifestyles, isolation, depression, increased drug use, reduced educational opportunity, poverty (from not being able to work)?

And if the bolded statement were true, you wouldn't have been mask shaming Zegras.
I didn't claim anything was clear, I said the opposite. We do not know the long term effects of the virus, so saying that any group of people is "safe" is patently false.

The other things you list are absolutely problems in the United States that would not be solved by simply avoiding Covid precautions; there is a reason those have been increasingly ubiquitous issues in the country and the root is not because people had to wear masks and not go to parties for a few months. That is incredibly simplistic to list those as equal risks to the prevalent danger at hand.

The zegras thing that started this was that I thought it was stupid, dangerous thing to do if taken at face value, and that set everyone off for some reason. If he wants to take that risk, fine I guess, but I can still think that is really stupid, it's not either/or. The rest of the argument hasn't even been about zegras, it was more about how people here chose to respond.

The reaction to the initial comment is really strange. It's ok to criticize a player on the team for doing something dumb, that doesn't condemn the person to eternal damnation or mean he is going to be a bad player or something. I don't really understand the defensiveness.

Last edited:

JonathnTaylorTavares

Feb 4, 2019
I didn't claim anything was clear, I said the opposite. We do not know the long term effects of the virus, so saying that any group of people is "safe" is patently false.

The other things you list are absolutely problems in the United States that would not be solved by simply avoiding Covid precautions; there is a reason those have been increasingly ubiquitous issues in the country and the root is not because people had to wear masks and not go to parties for a few months. That is incredibly simplistic to list those as equal risks to the prevalent danger at hand.

The zegras thing that started this was that I thought it was stupid, dangerous thing to do if taken at face value, and that set everyone off for some reason. If he wants to take that risk, fine I guess, but I can still think that is really stupid, it's not either/or. The rest of the argument hasn't even been about zegras, it was more about how people here chose to respond.

The reaction to the initial comment is really strange. It's ok to criticize a player on the team for doing something dumb, that doesn't condemn the person to eternal damnation or mean he is going to be a bad player or something. I don't really understand the defensiveness.
Repost the picture in the coronavirus thread and talk about how stupid is there

Reactions: Rasp

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

I was largely on your side of this “debate” until this post. Your bias is showing when you can think critically in one regard and then be dismissive when it suits you.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I was largely on your side of this “debate” until this post. Your bias is showing when you can think critically in one regard and then be dismissive when it suits you.
Very well could be. Thanks for your previous support anyway.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Very well could be. Thanks for your previous support anyway.

We all have biases. I still support your thoughtfulness.

However, what is challenging about this virus is the damage is not just limited to the most readily available statistic (deaths). I fear there will be many more troubling statistics that play out in the future. Some physical health related, but many more secondary affects. Mental health, education, economic, ect. Unfortunately, there are no universally right answers for the world. Hopefully we can all be considerate of one another, while taking ownership of what we, and our families, need during this time. Stay safe and well.

Reactions: Deuce22 and Static
Oct 18, 2011
You don't know the long term impacts either. Yet you claim the data is clear. You are speculating and people beating this drum are imposing tremendous social costs they refuse to acknowledge. What are the long term impacts of sedentary lifestyles, isolation, depression, increased drug use, reduced educational opportunity, poverty (from not being able to work)?

And if the bolded statement were true, you wouldn't have been mask shaming Zegras.
Once again this all comes back to the complete failure of the American federal government to tackle the problem and take it seriously from the very start and these are the consequences of their actions

Reactions: Terry Yake

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
We all have biases. I still support your thoughtfulness.

However, what is challenging about this virus is the damage is not just limited to the most readily available statistic (deaths). I fear there will be many more troubling statistics that play out in the future. Some physical health related, but many more secondary affects. Mental health, education, economic, ect. Unfortunately, there are no universally right answers for the world. Hopefully we can all be considerate of one another, while taking ownership of what we, and our families, need during this time. Stay safe and well.
Absolutely. My intent was not to minimize the many other problems this will cause, but to emphasize that the emergent threat has to be dealt with primarily. We have to save the head before we can save the arms and legs. You stay safe as well, thank you.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Once again this all comes back to the complete failure of the American federal government to tackle the problem and take it seriously from the very start and these are the consequences of their actions
I think a lot of it is a messaging issue. If the comment I made in the prospect thread had been criticizing a DUI or some other stupid behavior I wouldn't have gotten nearly the visceral responses. That just shows that people aren't on the same page with things, and that enough time hasn't passed until the issue has marinated into society enough to become a universally accepted and understood threat.

Reactions: Boo Boo

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Absolutely. My intent was not to minimize the many other problems this will cause, but to emphasize that the emergent threat has to be dealt with primarily. We have to save the head before we can save the arms and legs. You stay safe as well, thank you.

I agree with this to an extent.

To use your analogy: My concern is that while we are all (rightfully) protecting our respective faces it is coming at the expense of an increase in dangerous blood clots to our limbs, which are not being treated appropriately.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
what does zegras have to do with covid? i'm confused

also, don't you guys know the pandemic will end if we just stop testing? why are we still testing?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
It should all be in this thread. All of us were angry for very different reasons.
he hungout with his friends without a mask on?

i mean, that's pretty much what everyone else is doing. hard to find many people taking this thing seriously, especially in that age demographic

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Dr. Fauci is saying there will be a safe and effective vaccine by the end of the year.

Will the NHL push the start of the next season to January to get some fans back in arenas?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Dr. Fauci is saying there will be a safe and effective vaccine by the end of the year.

Will the NHL push the start of the next season to January to get some fans back in arenas?

I suppose they could, but it may not gain them much. The vaccine being approved and actually getting out into the mainstream public are two separate events.

Reactions: Kalv and Arthuros

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I suppose they could, but it may not gain them much. The vaccine being approved and actually getting out into the mainstream public are two separate events.
this

plus you have to give the vaccine enough time to build herd immunity and with how many anti-vaxxers there are out there, it won't be something that happens quickly. look at polio, there were a couple successful vaccines developed and it still took years to eradicate it

PaddyMcStackin

Goalier Than Thou
Apr 18, 2018
With the next NHL Season delayed until the new year, is anyody watching hockey in any other form? KHL, SHL, CHL?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
With the next NHL Season delayed until the new year, is anyody watching hockey in any other form? KHL, SHL, CHL?

It's tough here in the states. I think DAZN has KHL access in Canada. I've been looking (for years!) for a way to watch Liiga games or SHL games somewhere here that's not through illegal steaming.

you can get lucky with the KHL/MHL/VHL since they live stream their games on YouTube sometimes (more minor league stuff though)

CHL - I'm assuming Champions Hockey League? Those games are streamed on Youtube (depends on geoblocking). Due to COVID it's been pushed to November.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California

Hadn’t thought about it yet, since the cup just ended last week. Maybe NBCSN will pick up another leagues games to fill the void, but I doubt it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->