Coronavirus/NHL Suspension Talk

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Wow! That's impressive of the Samueli's to pay for their employees through Mar 31st. That known quantity in pay helps out mentally and can keep spirits up in this time of chaos. Less stress is great for your body's health, both mentally and physically. I'm so proud that Samueli's bought the Ducks! They already do a lot for the community and bringing hockey to California, but they always seem to continue to impress with their generosity.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Some great words of advice from Dallas Eakins...
“I’m just a big believer and right now everything that’s going on and it’s nothing to do with so much the team but our community. Obviously, there’s a breakout of a virus going on and I think we need now a massive breakout of kindness. I think we need a massive breakout of alertness and we need a massive breakout of awareness on what we need to do and to take these things very, very seriously.
“We talk about teams coming together. This is when communities need to come together. We’re going to need that kindness. We’re going to need that awareness so that we can all keep each other safe. Just not ourselves, but the people around us.”

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Samuelis are awesome.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Hope everyone in California is being safe and taking the necessary steps.. out here in Massachusetts it’s like chaos in the markets. I don’t know how toilet paper and paper towels will combat this issue but everyone is out in droves to buy it.

On a random bright side, I guess it’s nice for most NHL players to be home with their families. Less outbreak and spread, the better.

I guess I’ll spend my time watching old Anaheim Highlights. I wish they had more full games from that 03 team..

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Washington is interesting right now too.

It’s the right decision. I know it’s inconvenient, but just because some of us aren’t high risk doesn’t mean it isn’t dangerous.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Lets just end the season instead. Lets not make up the games.

They may think otherwise right now, but I’m not sure it’s realistic to make them up. A two week incubation period likely means it could take a bit of time to see things slow down, and it could be even longer until it’s at a level where restarting things is safe. Speaking for this season, at least.

And really, we can’t trust people not to risk exposing others.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I don't see how you can play the postponed games unless you drastically shorten the playoffs. Bad news for those teams just outside the playoff race, but this as an unprecedented situation. I highly doubt anything will be ready to start back up in a few weeks. I'm guessing mid-April at the earliest.

The only other solution would be to play everything in full, have the SCF in like July or August, and then have a shortened season in 2020-21, maybe not starting until November.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
I don't see how you can play the postponed games unless you drastically shorten the playoffs. Bad news for those teams just outside the playoff race, but this as an unprecedented situation. I highly doubt anything will be ready to start back up in a few weeks. I'm guessing mid-April at the earliest.

The only other solution would be to play everything in full, have the SCF in like July or August, and then have a shortened season in 2020-21, maybe not starting until November.

If that is the case, its better to just cancel the season and move on to the next. it will just be similar to a lockout season.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
They won’t shorten next season.

Whenever they get the ok to play in front of people again, there will be only so many days they can schedule games. It makes more sense to sell them as playoff games (more revenue) than try and squeeze in some regular season games and then shorten the playoffs.

Remember, the league and the PA are 50% partners in all revenues. They will align in whatever brings in more revenue before they care about a team or two getting screwed based on decisions made. Players are already unhappy about escrow. Maximizing revenue will be their highest priority.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Hope everyone in California is being safe and taking the necessary steps.. out here in Massachusetts it’s like chaos in the markets. I don’t know how toilet paper and paper towels will combat this issue but everyone is out in droves to buy it.

On a random bright side, I guess it’s nice for most NHL players to be home with their families. Less outbreak and spread, the better.

I guess I’ll spend my time watching old Anaheim Highlights. I wish they had more full games from that 03 team..
yeah i know there's some full games of the detroit series and the finals but that's it (unless i just haven't found them)

the "how the west was won" season DVD is up though which is pretty cool. there's a lot of full game videos of the 06 playoffs so i've been watching that lately

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
yeah i know there's some full games of the detroit series and the finals but that's it (unless i just haven't found them)

the "how the west was won" season DVD is up though which is pretty cool. there's a lot of full game videos of the 06 playoffs so i've been watching that lately

Maybe on the NHL Vault? Is that still a thing? I have the DVDs of the Detroit and Ottawa series, but not sure about the first two.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
They'll also need to adjust the point totals somehow, if they do end up not resuming at all. At least for the draft. You've got teams between 68 and 71 games. I'm not completely sure how that would work, unless they just take the winning percentage and extend it to 71 games.

Has this already been discussed? I apologize if it has.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Maybe on the NHL Vault? Is that still a thing? I have the DVDs of the Detroit and Ottawa series, but not sure about the first two.
i'm talking about 03

but i don't think there's any full games from 07 unless its the last two rounds

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I am not worried about losing the rest of this season. I am more worried about losing next season as well. Historically pandemics last 1 - 2 years, and I see nothing that would indicate that this is any different.

The goal right now is to try to spread the illness over a longer period of time with fewer cases at any one time rather than letting cases spike initially. Hospitals can only treat so many people, and they are more likely to be able to treat more ill people if the cases are spread over a longer period. This is probably a useful strategy to minimize deaths, but it does mean that there will be new cases throughout at least a one year period.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
They'll also need to adjust the point totals somehow, if they do end up not resuming at all. At least for the draft. You've got teams between 68 and 71 games. I'm not completely sure how that would work, unless they just take the winning percentage and extend it to 71 games.

Has this already been discussed? I apologize if it has.
I’d guess points percentage would be applied. It’s all uncharted territory and no matter what they do, some group of people will be pissed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad