Coronavirus/NHL Suspension Talk

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Universal Orlando has been open for about 2 weeks now, and the park is dead, even if they are limiting to like 30% capacity. I think a lot of people are going to wait, even if they have annual passes.
Orlando is generally a vacation place though, with most guests flying in. Disneyland in Anaheim has a huge local base and I think people will be fighting for reservations.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Orange County had 13 deaths yesterday from the corona virus, possibly related to the lockdown protests last month.
Of the people under 45 who have been dying from corona virus, nearly all of them are obese and it doesn't seem to matter if they don't have diabetes or hypertension, their blood oxygen level is already very low due to their weight and the corona virus is gonna plummet that to dangerously low levels that lead to death.
I've lost maybe 50 pounds since the lockdown started, not dieting but with exercise equipment indoors.

Corona virus effects the circulation in blood vessels and people have also been dying from strokes caused by blood clots they got from corona virus, people who are getting regular exercise have better circulation. People in their early 30s have been getting strokes related to corona virus.

Countries with a very low body mass index (BMI) among its population have the done the best with handling the virus such as Japan and South Korea.
Even though China's numbers are fake, their relatively low BMI among its population could suggest their death rate could potentially be lower than the USA despite it being the chain smoker capital of the world just like how germany has a higher smoker per capita rate than France and Italy but massively lower death rate from corona virus.

Japan and South Korea handled COVID-19 because they reacted quickly to the outbreak by a high amount of testing, contact tracing, making wearing masks mandatory, closing schools early in their outbreaks, and shutting down parts of their economies sooner. All things the U.S. did not manage well. BMI may be accountable for lower death rates, but both these countries also have better health systems than the U.S. does. Also, I don't know how well prepared either Japan or South Korea were in terms of hospital capacity or PPE, but again, the U.S. was unprepared in these areas as well.

Reactions: SirQuacksAlot

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
people in japan and SK are also accustomed to wearing masks in public so having them be mandatory wasn't an issue at all

meanwhile here in OC you have brainless pieces of shit arguing that masks have ruined their quality of life, infringed upon their constitutional rights, made them sheeps of the media, and the ridiculousness goes on for days

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
people in japan and SK are also accustomed to wearing masks in public so having them be mandatory wasn't an issue at all

meanwhile here in OC you have brainless pieces of shit arguing that masks have ruined their quality of life, infringed upon their constitutional rights, made them sheeps of the media, and the ridiculousness goes on for days
If I wear a mask when I go into a business or building with other people present, but not when walking around town or driving my car, am I a "brainless piece of shit?" Just wondering, since you seem to be the arbiter of acceptable social behavior for others.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
If I wear a mask when I go into a business or building with other people present, but not when walking around town or driving my car, am I a "brainless piece of shit?" Just wondering, since you seem to be the arbiter of acceptable social behavior for others.
Orange county doesn't mandate masks in public places anymore because people were leaving government workers death threats. Yes, those people are brainless pieces of shit.

I take my mask off outdoors and in the car too, as long as no one else is around. Nothing wrong with that.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
if you're walking around town and there are a lot of people then you should be wearing a mask. obviously when you're driving or in a place where you're not around people there's no reason to wear one

it has nothing to do with "acceptable social behavior." its a f****** extremely menial task that protects others, yet so many people act like they're being "oppressed." the fact that the OC health director and her family received death threats tells you everything you need to know about the people we are up against. they've made it a political issue in an attempt to spite liberals

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
if you're walking around town and there are a lot of people then you should be wearing a mask. obviously when you're driving or in a place where you're not around people there's no reason to wear one

it has nothing to do with "acceptable social behavior." its a f****** extremely menial task that protects others, yet so many people act like they're being "oppressed." the fact that the OC health director and her family received death threats tells you everything you need to know about the people we are up against. they've made it a political issue in an attempt to spite liberals
When encountering people around town (maskless) I maintain distance between myself and them. There have been mixed messages from health "experts" on COVID guidelines so I think people have reason to be cynical every time they are told to do something by said experts. I wear a mask out of consideration for others, not because I think masks are that effective.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
When encountering people around town (maskless) I maintain distance between myself and them. There have been mixed messages from health "experts" on COVID guidelines so I think people have reason to be cynical every time they are told to do something by said experts. I wear a mask out of consideration for others, not because I think masks are that effective.
a mask that is 60-70% effective is a whole lot better than wearing nothing

health experts telling people to wear masks shouldn't cause anyone to be "cynical." the only people who think that way are the ones going around peddling stupid conspiracy theories. there's nothing difficult about wearing a mask. healthcare workers wear them hours on end each day. the regular person should have zero issues wearing one in crowded places for an hour or two

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
What is your reasoning that they aren't effective? Even if they are just somewhat effective, that wouldn't be enough to wear one for your own safety?

I mean, the disease is primarily communicable via droplet transmission, so a face covering that helps limit droplet transmission....

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

health experts telling people to wear masks shouldn't cause anyone to be "cynical." the only people who think that way are the ones going around peddling stupid conspiracy theories. there's nothing difficult about wearing a mask. healthcare workers wear them hours on end each day. the regular person should have zero issues wearing one in crowded places for an hour or two
People don't want to wear masks because they don't want to be told what to do and/or don't want to be inconvenienced. No amount of logic or data will change these people's minds.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Since COVID-19 is a brand new virus it is not unexpected that guidelines on what works may change during this initial period. Very good strides are being made with regards to the disease, both in terms of understanding how it is spread and how to treat it. One of the newer lines of thought, based upon new studies, is that wearing masks in public may be the most effective way of preventing spread of the disease outside of, and possibly including social distancing. If correct, this information will support continued economic activity while controlling the spread of the disease, assuming that people wear masks in public.

Since this evidence is based upon studies of areas where the disease is prevalent, it is impossible to expect that these sorts of studies and the conclusions from them could come out before now. When this started my doctor did not believe that wearing masks was particularly important. Now, based on newer information, he is a firm believer in wearing them when around people other than his immediate family.

Meanwhile the number of new infections in states which have opened up sooner and where there is less emphasis on mask wearing is increasing. New highs in infections since the start of the pandemic were hit in Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, and South Carolina today. Texas had the second highest number of new infections in one day. (source, Washington Post) California also has increasing cases, although not a record number of new infections today.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

You're wasting you argument on the wrong person. What I objected to initially was your attitude that anyone that didn't agree with you was a brainless piece of shit. I do wear a mask and maintain social distance. What COVID has shown is that no one has all of the correct answers, it is fluid and we are still learning.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
People don't want to wear masks because they don't want to be told what to do and/or don't want to be inconvenienced. No amount of logic or data will change these people's minds.
There are some people like that, I agree. But pretending that there is only one correct source of data or logic depends on who you trust. Both political poles have tried to use this pandemic to their advantage, I tend to be skeptical of their motives.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
You're wasting you argument on the wrong person. What I objected to initially was your attitude that anyone that didn't agree with you was a brainless piece of shit. I do wear a mask and maintain social distance. What COVID has shown is that no one has all of the correct answers, it is fluid and we are still learning.
why are you making it all about you? you wear a mask and distance, i'm glad to hear that

no one may have all the correct answers, but we do know that wearing a mask does help prevent the spread of the virus. and yes, anyone who is against wearing masks because it has "ruined their quality of life," "infringed upon their constitutional rights," or any other bullshit excuse like that is a brainless piece of shit

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
There are some people like that, I agree. But pretending that there is only one correct source of data or logic depends on who you trust. Both political poles have tried to use this pandemic to their advantage, I tend to be skeptical of their motives.
Totally agree. Solely getting your info from either side means your info will be skewed in one way or another to fit their political agenda. Ever wonder why there is so little talk of how to prevent it? How to help boost your immune system, etc? One side says it's the worst thing ever and we need to be locked down any time we have a virus that kills 100k people and the other side says masks infringe on constitutional liberties. Each side holds onto their narratives and says the same things over and over. Doctor groups and scientists talk about how to prevent, what they are doing to improve recovery, etc. If you think 50% of the country is completely stupid and 50% has all of the answers because that's what your media is telling you then you are just naive and easily manipulated by their narratives. If you cant at least entertain critical thought without calling the other side an idiot then you are exactly why the country is so divisive.

Reactions: Deuce22

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
why are you making it all about you? you wear a mask and distance, i'm glad to hear that

no one may have all the correct answers, but we do know that wearing a mask does help prevent the spread of the virus. and yes, anyone who is against wearing masks because it has "ruined their quality of life," "infringed upon their constitutional rights," or any other bullshit excuse like that is a brainless piece of shit
Point taken regarding masks, but there is also a case to be made for people being able to make their own decisions. There are nuts jobs on both sides of this debate.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
That's why I, personally, listen to medical professionals only. Politicians are fools, all of them. I'm in nursing school, so I'm lucky that I have access to a lot of information and people who share advice based on what they are seeing in the hospital. People should wear masks.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Totally agree. Solely getting your info from either side means your info will be skewed in one way or another to fit their political agenda. Ever wonder why there is so little talk of how to prevent it? How to help boost your immune system, etc? One side says it's the worst thing ever and we need to be locked down any time we have a virus that kills 100k people and the other side says masks infringe on constitutional liberties. Each side holds onto their narratives and says the same things over and over. Doctor groups and scientists talk about how to prevent, what they are doing to improve recovery, etc. If you think 50% of the country is completely stupid and 50% has all of the answers because that's what your media is telling you then you are just naive and easily manipulated by their narratives. If you cant at least entertain critical thought without calling the other side an idiot then you are exactly why the country is so divisive.
masks have only become a political issue because one side has taken it as "liberal politicians are telling me to do something? i'll do the opposite!"

places like japan and SK have done so well in handling the pandemic because people had no problem wearing masks. here, it's been the opposite. it's almost like wearing masks actually helps! hint: the side crying about masks infringing on constitutional rights are the idiots in this fight

like i said, wearing a mask that is 60% effective is a whole lot better than not wearing one

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
That's why I, personally, listen to medical professionals only. Politicians are fools, all of them. I'm in nursing school, so I'm lucky that I have access to a lot of information and people who share advice based on what they are seeing in the hospital. People should wear masks.
I have a lot of questions for those of you that are so sure on this issue.
-For how long should we wear masks?
-Which medical professionals do we listen to? For instance, I've already been told by my personal physician not to take the vaccine for COVID when it becomes available. She feels that it will be rushed to the market to make $$ and won't be properly tested and vetted. I've heard some already floating the idea of making the vaccine compulsory.
-Since much of the information coming from medical professionals has proved to be incorrect, how can I trust them in the future?
I'm not as sure as you are about this. It seems like things keep changing and each political side has its own medical professionals to spout the party line.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
-Which medical professionals do we listen to? For instance, I've already been told by my personal physician not to take the vaccine for COVID when it becomes available. She feels that it will be rushed to the market to make $$ and won't be properly tested and vetted. I've heard some already floating the idea of making the vaccine compulsory.
-Since much of the information coming from medical professionals has proved to be incorrect, how can I trust them in the future?
I'm not as sure as you are about this. It seems like things keep changing and each political side has its own medical professionals to spout the party line.
I don't listen to anyone they put on TV. The WHO just made a very public blunder about asymptomatic people rarely transmitting the disease, which isn't true. I just listen to the people I know who have had direct contact with patients who have had it.

As far as how long to wear masks, I personally am going to wear it as long as the numbers dictate it. I won't feel comfortable being around people without one for a very long time.

For me, I think my way of life is going to be different for the foreseeable future, even with the economy opened back up. That is a personal choice based on who I live with and the risk I am willing to accept for myself and for them. It would be a lot easier if my decisions didn't affect others, but they do.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i'll be wearing a mask out in public until we have little to no new daily cases and it stays that way for at least a month. that's not gonna be for a very long time

the vaccine is being rushed but to think it won't be properly tested enough is ridiculous. there's zero chance pharmaceutical companies will risk losing billions in lawsuits because they failed to follow the necessary protocols on getting the vaccine to the public. but i don't expect a vaccine to be widely available until at least early next year

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010

And the idiots were also sending death threats to the county health officer who was going to make masks mandatory. I just don't get the selfish mentality and having so little social conscience that you can't make a small sacrifice by wearing a freaking mask to save lives.

Reactions: Terry Yake

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010

You seriously can't see the difference between driving around in your car and going into a business or building with other people present? Are you in close contact with other people in our car?

Reactions: Terry Yake

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
You seriously can't see the difference between driving around in your car and going into a business or building with other people present? Are you in close contact with other people in our car?
I see the difference, was being sarcastic. I've seen many people wearing masks while driving.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
So you don't trust the medical professionals but are you going to take your doctor's advice to not take the vaccine? And how does she know at this time that it will not be effective? I guess that you are lucky to have a doctor who can foretell the future so well. I would rather have a doctor who would evaluate the vaccine based upon all of the information available at the time, not on what he/she thinks is going to happen. I will take a vaccine when my doctors says that in his opinion he feels that it is safe and effective.

I agree that there is a risk that the FDA will approve a vaccine that is not as effective as it should be, or which has undesirable side effects. There is a valid concern that an effort is being made to rush a vaccine too quickly, and there are some experimental approaches being taken to this vaccine. It is certainly worth study and analysis to determine whether it is appropriate to take. But to predict now and today that you should not take it because it will be rushed to market to make money is, in my opinion, irresponsible and unprofessional. I would be changing doctors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad