Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Is that really the case though? Look at Japan's numbers. Look at South Korea. Very good numbers and even Sweden isn't terrible considering the age of their population etc. No lockdown. Are the Chinese numbers not dubious at best? China started partying after they hit 98k cases or so. How the heck?! These numbers are clear...

Age Group Probability of survival
0-19 99.997%
20-49 99.98%
50-69 99.5%
70+ 94.6%

That's the USA whom is criticized for their handling. This thing is not even coming close to outpacing things like Heart Disease and such.

Infographic: Up to 40 Million Americans Face Eviction in 2020
Up to 40 Million Americans Face Eviction in 2020

Then what? Bread lines? for a virus that does not even kill 1%? Tent cities? FEMA camps? How about forcing property owners to house people on their own dime? Then what happens when they have to sell their homes? Market collapse for the housing market? How about all of you that tapped into the equity of your properties over the boom?

different countries count deaths differently. If the US didnt include non-pneumonia fatalities in its death counts we’d be ~ 86,000 deaths.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Interesting premise...Have a conversation in which if hockey for example is the topic, directed not to talk about it's players.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
upload_2020-9-28_19-42-34.png

Where is the second wave ?

Reactions: Smif

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He is a legit Lawyer that has conducted some research and offered his opinion based on his findings? Now, on one hand you can opt to diminish the station he was given a platform to speak on but that doesn't really hold water. You can also diminish his findings based on contrary evidence but that will take effort.

This is why with...

Age Group Probability of survival
0-19 99.997%
20-49 99.98%
50-69 99.5%
70+ 94.6%

We need to have an honest debate. Regarding a lock-down 2.0, I think a referendum would be prudent but all data should be made public. I am tired of only seeing 3 Canadian Doctors on all television stations while all the hospital employees working front lines basically have laughed it off and don't take it seriously.

I'm not going to check the accuracy of your stats but those are with mitigations, if you feel taking precautions is excessive, I would expect you to start licking every door knob you come within 10 feet of. Because this virus is clearly over stated.

I think instead of spending millions on a referendum, maybe we take that money and spend it on prevention of Covid-19..just a thought.

Clearly you are a Russian Troll and a shitty one at that ... all the hospital employees have laughed it off and don't take it seriously? FFS dude go post your bullshit somewhere else.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm not going to check the accuracy of your stats but those are with mitigations, if you feel taking precautions is excessive, I would expect you to start licking every door knob you come within 10 feet of. Because this virus is clearly over stated.

I think instead of spending millions on a referendum, maybe we take that money and spend it on prevention of Covid-19..just a thought.

Clearly you are a Russian Troll and a shitty one at that ... all the hospital employees have laughed it off and don't take it seriously? FFS dude go post your bullshit somewhere else.

Firstly, the data is concise and the risk factors are published. The age groups and mortality rate is also published. There is little concern to any rational human being in good health, under the age of 70.

Secondly, Democracy is still a thing and most people I talk to do not support lock down at all considering the numbers. I wear a mask in stores and wash up, not a big deal to me. I am merely doing so not out of fear but to ease the anxieties of those around me. That's it. My choice.

Thirdly, I made a simple error which I will now correct. EVERYONE I know that works in hospitals is no longer in fear and diminish it's severity.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
In Canada we went from 477 cases Sept 1st to 1,454 September 27th , highest total since April 7th

I honestly couldn't care less about case numbers, I want hospitalization %, ICU capacity and mortality rates

If people aren't dying or being hospitalized I couldn't give a rats ass if 1M people are getting it a day

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I honestly couldn't care less about case numbers, I want hospitalization %, ICU capacity and mortality rates

If people aren't dying or being hospitalized I couldn't give a rats ass if 1M people are getting it a day

You do know this virus has serious side effects? Like lifetime lung, heart and organ disease? You're kind of taking a narrow view of this pandemic.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Pffft, we don't need no stinking evidence

Lockdowns for everybody :partytime:
I laughed at my work asking all of us to do a personal check every morning. If I have a runny nose or diarrhea I’m supposed to stay home. If I have a solid bowel movement it’s cause for celebration. Eating lotsa pasta to make it through the week. o_O

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You do know this virus has serious side effects? Like lifetime lung, heart and organ disease? You're kind of taking a narrow view of this pandemic.

You can get serious side effects from a lot of illnesses, are we going to shut people inside because of that as well?

Locking people down has mental health implications, postponing medical procedures (like cancer followups) isn't exactly ideal for outcomes, not to mention pushing people into poverty which also affects health outcomes and life expectancy

This is a social experiment on a massive scale with extremely detrimental effects to the world economy and forcing a massive debt burden on future generations

Who has the narrow view again?

Reactions: kb

GQS

Aug 2, 2005

How do you know the side effects are 'lifetime' when we're still only months into studying the virus and how it affects people? And how come you discount that the overwhelming number of people who get the virus don't suffer from long term symptoms? Its like our leaders and medical experts are digging deeper and deeper trying to find smaller and smaller things to keep everyone scared of the virus.

First it was shutting down to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed and from deaths getting out of control. Now when both haven't materialized and even with reopening and people being back in public in far greater numbers we're back to worrying about infections again when the vast majority haven't turned into new hospital cases or a dramatic rise in deaths.

This is why its dumb to try and play wack-a-mole with this virus because its pretty much impossible to get the numbers to zero and to keep it there indefinitely. When the infection numbers are higher everyone is running around freaking out about it and our leaders go stupid with the measures they take to try and bring the numbers back down. Then when the numbers do go down to very few like it was a couple of weeks ago, the measures STILL stay in place and we STILL have to be kept in constant fear that we have to maintain things to keep those numbers low. In other words NOTHING will go back to anywhere close to normal until an effective treatment is available to the public which is all our leaders and medical experts are waiting for.

In the meantime we have to go to through the neverending yo-yo of rising and falling infection numbers and the endless media and politically/'medical expert' driven fear that is gripping much of the population and have the vast majority of people continue to suffer for no good reason.

Reactions: Kiwi

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Have you read the virus design documents? How do you know there are long term side effects?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
How do you know the side effects are 'lifetime' when we're still only months into studying the virus and how it affects people? And how come you discount that the overwhelming number of people who get the virus don't suffer from long term symptoms? Its like our leaders and medical experts are digging deeper and deeper trying to find smaller and smaller things to keep everyone scared of the virus.

First it was shutting down to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed and from deaths getting out of control. Now when both haven't materialized and even with reopening and people being back in public in far greater numbers we're back to worrying about infections again when the vast majority haven't turned into new hospital cases or a dramatic rise in deaths.

This is why its dumb to try and play wack-a-mole with this virus because its pretty much impossible to get the numbers to zero and to keep it there indefinitely. When the infection numbers are higher everyone is running around freaking out about it and our leaders go stupid with the measures they take to try and bring the numbers back down. Then when the numbers do go down to very few like it was a couple of weeks ago, the measures STILL stay in place and we STILL have to be kept in constant fear that we have to maintain things to keep those numbers low. In other words NOTHING will go back to anywhere close to normal until an effective treatment is available to the public which is all our leaders and medical experts are waiting for.

In the meantime we have to go to through the neverending yo-yo of rising and falling infection numbers and the endless media and politically/'medical expert' driven fear that is gripping much of the population and have the vast majority of people continue to suffer for no good reason.

unless you’re really sick with a symptom or two why would wait in a line to get tested. If people must be tested, for heaven sakes make it easier.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

would you mind telling us how exactly this virus causes lifetime side effects when we are only 8 months into it?

Maybe you could come back decades later in your life and reply to this post, and let us know what exactly those lifetime effects turned out to be. Simple logic would tell us that's the only way to find out!

Do you question even a little bit of this whole story? Or is it just straight up compliance and auto-believe everything you're told?

Last edited:
Reactions: kb

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
would you mind telling us how exactly this virus causes lifetime side effects when we are only 8 months into it?

Maybe you could come back decades later in your life and reply to this post, and let us know what exactly those lifetime effects turned out to be. Simple logic would tell us that's the only way to find out!

Do you question even a little bit of this whole story? Or is it just straight up compliance and auto-believe everything you're told?

COVID-19 (coronavirus): Long-term effects

COVID-19 symptoms can sometimes persist for months. The virus can damage the lungs, heart and brain, which increases the risk of long-term health problems.

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Most people who have coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) recover completely within a few weeks. But some people — even those who had mild versions of the disease — continue to experience symptoms after their initial recovery.
Older people and people with many serious medical conditions are the most likely to experience lingering COVID-19 symptoms. The most common signs and symptoms that linger over time include:
  • Fatigue
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath
  • Headache
  • Joint pain
Although COVID-19 is seen as a disease that primarily affects the lungs, it can damage many other organs as well. This organ damage may increase the risk of long-term health problems.

Organ damage caused by COVID-19

Organs that may be affected by COVID-19 include:
  • Heart. Imaging tests taken months after recovery from COVID-19 have shown lasting damage to the heart muscle, even in people who experienced only mild COVID-19 symptoms. This may increase the risk of heart failure or other heart complications in the future.
  • Lungs. The type of pneumonia often associated with COVID-19 can cause long-standing damage to the tiny air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. The resulting scar tissue can lead to long-term breathing problems.
  • Brain. Even in young people, COVID-19 can cause strokes, seizures and Guillain-Barre syndrome — a condition that causes temporary paralysis. COVID-19 may also increase the risk of developing Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.
Blood clots and blood vessel problems

COVID-19 can make blood cells more likely to clump up and form clots. While large clots can cause heart attacks and strokes, much of the heart damage caused by COVID-19 is believed to stem from very small clots that block tiny blood vessels (capillaries) in the heart muscle.
Other organs affected by blood clots include the lungs, legs, liver and kidneys. COVID-19 can also weaken blood vessels, which contributes to potentially long-lasting problems with the liver and kidneys.
Problems with mood and fatigue

People who have severe symptoms of COVID-19 often have to be treated in a hospital's intensive care unit, with mechanical assistance such as ventilators to breathe. Simply surviving this experience can make a person more likely to later develop post-traumatic stress syndrome, depression and anxiety.
Because it's difficult to predict long-term outcomes from the new COVID-19 virus, scientists are looking at the long-term effects seen in related viruses, such as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).
Many people who have recovered from SARS have gone on to develop chronic fatigue syndrome, a complex disorder characterized by extreme fatigue that worsens with physical or mental activity, but doesn't improve with rest. The same may be true for people who have had COVID-19.
Many long-term COVID-19 effects still unknown

Much is still unknown about how COVID-19 will affect people over time. However, researchers recommend that doctors closely monitor people who have had COVID-19 to see how their organs are functioning after recovery.
It's important to remember that most people who have COVID-19 recover quickly. But the potentially long-lasting problems from COVID-19 make it even more important to reduce the spread of the disease by following precautions such as wearing masks, avoiding crowds and keeping hands clean.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

COVID-19 symptoms can sometimes persist for months. The virus can damage the lungs, heart and brain, which increases the risk of long-term health problems.

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Most people who have coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) recover completely within a few weeks. But some people — even those who had mild versions of the disease — continue to experience symptoms after their initial recovery.
Older people and people with many serious medical conditions are the most likely to experience lingering COVID-19 symptoms. The most common signs and symptoms that linger over time include:
  • Fatigue
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath
  • Headache
  • Joint pain
Although COVID-19 is seen as a disease that primarily affects the lungs, it can damage many other organs as well. This organ damage may increase the risk of long-term health problems.

Organ damage caused by COVID-19

Organs that may be affected by COVID-19 include:
  • Heart. Imaging tests taken months after recovery from COVID-19 have shown lasting damage to the heart muscle, even in people who experienced only mild COVID-19 symptoms. This may increase the risk of heart failure or other heart complications in the future.
  • Lungs. The type of pneumonia often associated with COVID-19 can cause long-standing damage to the tiny air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. The resulting scar tissue can lead to long-term breathing problems.
  • Brain. Even in young people, COVID-19 can cause strokes, seizures and Guillain-Barre syndrome — a condition that causes temporary paralysis. COVID-19 may also increase the risk of developing Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.
Blood clots and blood vessel problems

COVID-19 can make blood cells more likely to clump up and form clots. While large clots can cause heart attacks and strokes, much of the heart damage caused by COVID-19 is believed to stem from very small clots that block tiny blood vessels (capillaries) in the heart muscle.
Other organs affected by blood clots include the lungs, legs, liver and kidneys. COVID-19 can also weaken blood vessels, which contributes to potentially long-lasting problems with the liver and kidneys.
Problems with mood and fatigue

People who have severe symptoms of COVID-19 often have to be treated in a hospital's intensive care unit, with mechanical assistance such as ventilators to breathe. Simply surviving this experience can make a person more likely to later develop post-traumatic stress syndrome, depression and anxiety.
Because it's difficult to predict long-term outcomes from the new COVID-19 virus, scientists are looking at the long-term effects seen in related viruses, such as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).
Many people who have recovered from SARS have gone on to develop chronic fatigue syndrome, a complex disorder characterized by extreme fatigue that worsens with physical or mental activity, but doesn't improve with rest. The same may be true for people who have had COVID-19.
Many long-term COVID-19 effects still unknown

Much is still unknown about how COVID-19 will affect people over time. However, researchers recommend that doctors closely monitor people who have had COVID-19 to see how their organs are functioning after recovery.
It's important to remember that most people who have COVID-19 recover quickly. But the potentially long-lasting problems from COVID-19 make it even more important to reduce the spread of the disease by following precautions such as wearing masks, avoiding crowds and keeping hands clean.

While I an not someone who believes there is no second wave or someone who is only concerned about deaths, I do believe that you can search up almost anything medical related online and find a vast range of potential side effects. So yes it is serious, but again, I believe these concerns are overstated for COVID but understated in just about every other disease/infection/drug right now.

Also, I know one potential side effect is swelling of the heart (Myocarditis) but this is a side effect of basically everything when you look it up. Sounds a lot more doom and gloom then it is, but mort make a full recovery. While not ideal, again not as bad as just saying it gives you a heart condition.

I still believe at some point we need another lockdown, but this virus and our knowledge has evolved over the past months. I think anyone who is still as paranoid as they were in March could probably relax a bit more, but it still is real and a threat.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You can get serious side effects from a lot of illnesses, are we going to shut people inside because of that as well? False equivalency is a poor way to debate a point. Which contagious disease has killed 1,000,000 people in less than a year or caused as severe side effects as Covid-19?

Locking people down has mental health implications, postponing medical procedures (like cancer followups) isn't exactly ideal for outcomes, not to mention pushing people into poverty which also affects health outcomes and life expectancy. Oh Boo Hoo I have to stay home and be bored, your generation is so freaking fragile mentally, if your favorite TV show wasn't on at the scheduled time, it throws you into a tail spin. Suck it up buttercup. For once maybe think of others before you think of yourself. I despise wearing a mask and I detest missing out on social events but I do it because its the best thing for my community.

This is a social experiment on a massive scale with extremely detrimental effects to the world economy and forcing a massive debt burden on future generations. LOL forcing a massive burden on future generations, news flash there ahs been a massive burden forced on the next generation since the 2nd World War... it's how countries do business.

Who has the narrow view again? Without a doubt you do

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Pffft, we don't need no stinking evidence

Lockdowns for everybody :partytime:

How don't you understand that deaths lag behind confirmed cases? You don't wait for your house to catch on fire before you buy a fire extinguisher. You don't wait for thousands to die before you put mitigation steps in effect.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Canada is in a an OK spot considering the late start. Now is the time to follow the science and keep schools open, let the young people do their thing, stay away from olds....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad