Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What I dont understand is how people will just shrug off certain stats. As in, 3% of people over 65 who get covid die(I made that figure up) and some people are just meh about it. Do you not have grandparents, parents, co-workers etc of that age? I'm not saying shut everything down or what have you, but to dismiss unnecessary deaths is insane to me.
Exactly. I still remembered a few months ago, it got pretty heated here bc a poster was giving vibe like deaths to seniors means nothing. I think that’s extremely insensitive and just plain wrong.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
I think it shuts down theatres, bars, restaurants/in house, hairdressers, massages, and malls ... not sure what is does for schools although Premier seems intent on keeping schools open
Schools seem to be the biggest issue here though. How come all of a sudden there's been a big uptick in cases? We were fine all the way through July and August and then boom, schools open, and its 400+ a day.

I'm saying this cause I hope they look at what the causes have been, how many deaths, how many are in the hospitals etc.

I'm mainly just hoping my gym doesn't close again. We haven't had a single issue there yet.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
yup. Also I feel for small to medium sized businesses. In fact some larger ones are in trouble too. Another lockdown for this and we will all be in trouble. It’s a serious disease for some folks. But sometimes Mother Nature does her thing. This is not a lockdown and ruin everyone worthy scenario. Mind you lotsa folks around my area are working for cash on the side and collecting government handouts. This country is in for a a very rough time soon. And us folks who are working through this and contributing economically are going to get the shit covered end of the stick

100%

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
priceless!

Attachments

• Bruce_09_30_2020_RGB.jpg
    Bruce_09_30_2020_RGB.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 7

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So you post a bunch of potential side effects that may result from getting the virus, but you don't post how many people are actually suffering from these kinds of side effects? Its almost like you want to create hysteria and fear to keep people in line rather than posting all the info and DEFUSING such fears and anxiety in people. Seriously please tell me how many people are suffering from these long term effects vs how many people who had the virus who have recovered with little to no side effects?

Why not try and be honest with what you're posting instead of being like the media and our politicians and medical experts and only highlighting information that supports your narrative? Its like a few months ago when the media was jumping all over the story of some kids developing some kind of inflammatory syndrome that may be linked to the virus and they were blowing that story up until it eventually flamed out because very few kids actually developed that issue.

The same goes for all these other conditions that we're tying to the virus. Unless these things are happening in hundreds of thousands of people then why scare people over it unless your intention is to purposely keep people in fear of a virus that has been repeatedly been proven to be not very lethal to the overwhelming majority of people?

Why do you think that on the entire African continent there's been only about 35,000 deaths TOTAL? Is it because they're handling the virus far better than western countries? That they have more knowledge and advanced medical systems in place to handle it better than us? Or is it simply because they have a very young population that's largely healthy and are short on seniors for the virus to kill?

The bottom line is as I've said many times before, the health of a population is FAR more important than worrying about the number of infections. If our medical experts and politicians would've understood this from the beginning, we'd would've suffered much few deaths and accomplished it without all economic damage we've done to ourselves.

Folks we just found the poster boy for the willfully ignorant... here's your sign... one example.. you ask why is a developing continent like Africa reporting so few cases...hmmmmmm... geeze thats a tough one... why is a continent with poor health care, limited resources, spread out populations, with the exception of the large cities reporting such low cases... TBH I'm shocked that anyone with an education above the 5th grade would even ask that question... ouch...

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
How don't you understand the death rate is extremely low and getting lower as time goes on and we develop better ways of treating people?

That's why you give case numbers not hospital capacity and death rate numbers now, because you know you have nothing and the evidence is moving against you

How don't you know death rates lag behind hospitalization rates by a few weeks? We've tripled in cases over the last 4 weeks, deaths will triple in the next 4 to 6 weeks ... I've not provided the death rates because the 2nd wave has not had time to do it's damage .. 4 to 6 weeks...

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I am a business owner and it's devastating. Next shutdown will destroy the majority of small to medium size businesses for sure.
Same spot here. I have put aside enough to be fine for my family for a few years but I worry more about 600 people who will be out of work again. Most can't survive on $2,000 a month. If we even get back that $2,000 a month. Personally I would prefer we stay open but if we shut down to phase 2 again then we need more govt support. In saying this I know it likely puts me in a worse spot health wise but we have to think of our kids and da young people too. Some/lot of businesses in retail space won't survive another shut down. It is a very bad situation. We need a cure or vaccine. I am shocked that with da world affected by this that we have not figured it out already. Very upsetting and shocking to me.

Reactions: TopChedder

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Schools seem to be the biggest issue here though. How come all of a sudden there's been a big uptick in cases? We were fine all the way through July and August and then boom, schools open, and its 400+ a day.

I'm saying this cause I hope they look at what the causes have been, how many deaths, how many are in the hospitals etc.

I'm mainly just hoping my gym doesn't close again. We haven't had a single issue there yet.
We don't know da cause but 1 + 1 usually makes 2 and it seems logical to me that opening schools is causing community spread. Tons of moms taking kids to school and no masks going on for most part. Teachers are having a difficult time keeping masks on kids. At least I heard that last night from a teacher friend who sent 3 more kids to extra sick room yesterday for moms to pick them up. Ear pieces breaking. Da thing is working but just a ton more movement of people to/from schools everyday that was not there last 2 months. If cases keep skyrocketing there will need up being no choice here. To me I would shut down schools first and see if we go back to where we were before like 10 days ago.

Reactions: Leafs1991

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Folks we just found the poster boy for the willfully ignorant... here's your sign... one example.. you ask why is a developing continent like Africa reporting so few cases...hmmmmmm... geeze thats a tough one... why is a continent with poor health care, limited resources, spread out populations, with the exception of the large cities reporting such low cases... TBH I'm shocked that anyone with an education above the 5th grade would even ask that question... ouch...

So are you going to answer the question about how many people are suffering from the long term symptoms that you listed in your previous post as part of the danger of getting this virus? Or are you going to completely ignore it now because I've asked you for the number of people??

Also I stated that the entire African continent has so far reported 35,000 virus deaths to date and I'm asking you why do you think its so low compared to western countries? Do you think they're doing a much better job of managing the virus or that they're drastically undereporting the number of deaths or is it simply because if you do believe that 35,000 number that have died due to the virus so far that the simple answer is probably they're much younger and healthier and hence are mostly not affected by the virus in a significant way?

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So are you going to answer the question about how many people are suffering from the long term symptoms that you listed in your previous post as part of the danger of getting this virus? Or are you going to completely ignore it now because I've asked you for the number of people??

Also I stated that the entire African continent has so far reported 35,000 virus deaths to date and I'm asking you why do you think its so low compared to western countries? Do you think they're doing a much better job of managing the virus or that they're drastically undereporting the number of deaths or is it simply because if you do believe that 35,000 number that have died due to the virus so far that the simple answer is probably they're much younger and healthier and hence are mostly not affected by the virus in a significant way?

How would I know how many? It's somewhere between 1 and 100,000,000. reports have put side effects at 9 out of 10 people, so 90% of cases, we know the case count is much lower than reported, so your guess is a good as mine. For example, based on the symptoms, I think I had it in January before it became a big thing, I had all the typical symptoms but never got tested so I don't know for sure. My lasting effect is lung damage, my lung capacity is considerably less than before I was sick. I'm gassed after a 15 minute walk, where before I would easily do 90 minute walks with my wife every day the summer before. Do I know it was Covid? No. What I can tell you is the bug I caught in January was unlike any bug I've ever had. I was exhausted but alert. I couldn't sleep but I was extremely tired, tired and alert at the same time so odd, it was weird. I lost my taste for 6 weeks, I had terrible night sweats, I had a cough for 4 months afterwards.

So what do developing countries/ continents do poorly when it comes to medicine?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How don't you know death rates lag behind hospitalization rates by a few weeks? We've tripled in cases over the last 4 weeks, deaths will triple in the next 4 to 6 weeks ... I've not provided the death rates because the 2nd wave has not had time to do it's damage .. 4 to 6 weeks...

How don't you understand that even with an increase in case numbers now hospitalization and mortality rates are still going to be extremely low?

This isn't April

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
How don't you understand that even with an increase in case numbers now hospitalization and mortality rates are still going to be extremely low?

This isn't April

You have too much faith in people being responsible for their actions. Define extremely low. We can come back here in January to see how far off you were.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

This isn't April
This is a possibility lets hope but no one knows what will happen in next month or so as weather worsens and 2nd wave really kicks in ... my guess is schools will get closed down because teachers do not know who has colds, flues or COVID so in a class of 20 when you have 10 kids in da extra room it gets to point where school becomes a health centre anywho .. our teachers are older in Ontario and more and more are already going on EI before school even started ... and we are missing hundreds already and our supply list was used up due to homeschooling hiring ... as it gets worse we don't have enough teachers due to sickness or EI and too many kids sent home going through testing protocols with parents .. it will get to point where schools can't even operate. You will hear this from many teachers. And when schools can't operate then people can't go to work again. It is a cycle.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
It’s not priceless at all. It has cost Canadian taxpayers billions of $$$$ to support the region so they can implement that strategy.

Try getting a sense of humor. I was referring to the cartoon, but I suspect you knew that and are just being a.....‍

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You have too much faith in people being responsible for their actions. Define extremely low. We can come back here in January to see how far off you were.

So I shouldn't have faith in people making decisions based on their own circumstances but I should have faith in the government with a one size fits all approach instead?

I can define it as extremely low because people like you no longer talk about mortality rates and hospital capacity any longer, you've pivoted to case numbers and long term effects instead

Why's that you think?

I'm more than willing to do that because if we did what you want we would never leave our ******* houses again, it's an infectious disease that isn't just going to magically disappear so people should be allowed to live their lives as they see fit

You want to stay inside, have at it but everybody that wants to go about their lives once more should be able to

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
So I shouldn't have faith in people making decisions based on their own circumstances but I should have faith in the government with a one size fits all approach instead?

I can define it as extremely low because people like you no longer talk about mortality rates and hospital capacity any longer, you've pivoted to case numbers and long term effects instead

Why's that you think?

I'm more than willing to do that because if we did what you want we would never leave our ******* houses again, it's an infectious disease that isn't just going to magically disappear so people should be allowed to live their lives as they see fit

You want to stay inside, have at it but everybody that wants to go about their lives once more should be able to
If I could like this a billion times I would.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

This isn't April

First it was the deaths...then they went down ...so they hyped the hospitalizations ....they went down...so now we are just flat out counting anyone who gets it?

All I know is...if it was as bad as they thought..they never would have had to pump up the numbers by making any death WITH covid..a death because of covid. Something is not right...Sweden did it the right way...instead of following their lead..we are doubling down on stupidity.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
upload_2020-10-1_12-15-2.png

Not the best sign.

Sigh.

Uptick in the death rate keeps up we are screwed.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Why's that you think?

Faith in people making decisions based on their own circumstances? So Covid parties were a figment of my imagination? Covid cases spike right after holidays because people do the right thing? If people did the right thin all the time there would be no need for police or the courts. Newsflash there are a lot of people that don't give a rats ass about you or your health, unfortunately these people don't wear jackass signs to be easily identifiable.

People like me no longer talk about mortality rates? Great to see you are so binary in your thinking. I've discussed mortality rates, hospitalization rates, testing rates, number of cases. Most people can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time but you clearly demonstrate a bias that limits your ability to debate the point vs debating a mythicial boogie man you have constructed in your head.

So when I said define low, I mean provide a %...

If we did what I want you would never leave your house? When did I ever say that, leave your house all you want, this pretend boogie man really has your attention...

I can see why you are so upset, you struggle with what is real and what is a figment of your imagination...

Reactions: GreytWun

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I thought the letter was interested. Don't really care which site prints it.
I hear ya. There was leaked documents showing Ford doesn’t want another shutdown at all cost. That cost will be very sick and dying people potentially. Financial before health basically. I know how these things take shape from being in the loop with high ranking provincial and federal conservatives. Nice people but i know how they politic. :)

Provincial politics has wormed its way in to a health priority. Not cool. Not acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad