Status
Not open for further replies.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
July 27, 2020 / 11:37 AM
Three-quarters of adults with COVID-19 have heart damage after recovery

By Brian P. Dunleavy

July 27 (UPI) -- Seventy-eight percent of people diagnosed with COVID-19 showed evidence of heart damage caused by the disease weeks after they have recovered, according to a study published Monday by JAMA Cardiology.

Of 100 participants in the study, 78 had evidence of heart damage on magnetic resonance imaging, or MRI, according to the researchers.

None of the 100 patients included in the analysis had experienced heart symptoms related to the new coronavirus and "were mostly healthy ... prior to their illness," the researchers said.

"The patients and ourselves were both surprised by the intensity and prevalence of these findings, and that they were still very pronounced even though the original illness had been by then already a few weeks away," study co-author Dr. Valentina Puntmann told UPI.

"We found evidence of ongoing inflammation within the heart muscle, as well as of the heart's lining in a considerable majority of patients," said Puntmann, a consultant physician, cardiologist and clinical pharmacologist at University Hospital Frankfurt in Germany.

The researchers said the MRI findings were consistent with two potentially serious heart conditions: myocarditis and pericarditis, according to the researchers.

Myocarditis is inflammation of the heart muscle, and it can reduce the heart's ability to pump, potentially causing irregular heartbeats, Puntmann said.

Pericarditis causes inflammation of the protective tissues surrounding the heart and can cause pain, she said.

The 100 study participants, 45 to 53 years old, had recovered from COVID-19. Participants' underwent MRI evaluation two to three months after being diagnosed with the virus, researchers said.

Sixty percent of the participants had evidence of ongoing heart inflammation on their MRIs that was independent of preexisting conditions or the course of their COVID-19 infection, according to the researchers.

Two-thirds of the participants recovered from COVID-19 at home, and 18% never had symptoms of the virus, the researchers said. Roughly half had mild to moderate symptoms of the coronavirus, they said.

"While we do not yet have the direct evidence for [long-term] consequences yet, such as the development of heart failure, which can be directly attributed to COVID-19, it is quite possible that in a few years this burden will be enormous based on what we know from other viral conditions," Puntmann said.

Although the participants in Puntmann's study recovered from the virus, a separate analysis, also published Monday by JAMA Cardiology found evidence of infection in the hearts of 16 of 39 -- or 41% -- patients who died from the disease.

The findings were made after autopsies of the patients, who were between 78 and 89 years old.

"[COVID-19] can infect the heart and, in severe cases, the virus seems to replicate within it," study co-author Dirk Westermann, a cardiologist at University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf, also in Germany, told UPI.

"We need long-term follow-up studies of COVID-19 survivors to see whether [the virus] impacts cardiac function over the long-term," he said.

Three-quarters of adults with COVID-19 have heart damage after recovery

Reactions: Slot

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
We either believe in science and in math, or we don't.

The criteria for what is true in science and math, is not really up for discussion.

Scientific evidence is different from anecdotal evidence.

This Covid-19 is a serious disease. It is better to stick to the former than the later.

The criteria for what is true in science and math, is not really up for discussion.

This Covid-19 is a serious disease. It is better to stick to the former than the later.

Agreed!

I am confused how some are still argueing that Covid has a mortality rate of less than the flu, and all the way to 0.001.

That has already been proven impossible mathamatically.

Take Chile for an example. Population of 10 million. 9400 deaths. In order for that number to be at 0.001, you would need over 9 million cases. As we can see the virus still spreading at a quick rate, we know herd immunity has not taken place, so therefore the tate is higher.

You can use the same formula for any country and realise, we are nowhere near herd immunity anywhere, and we need to continue to take this seriously

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I been staying away from this thread because I am actually in this field.

None of the 'good' studies show benefit as far as I know. The random anecdotal evidence from observation studies are not good evidence. It has been utter chaos in most ICU's, there are no controlling of anything in those environments.

Also, many doctors are NOT trained as researchers. You would be shocked how poor the comprehension of research is when it comes to some doctors. Medical school only requires intro epidemiology course and the vast majority of doctors are not involved in research. I wish people would stop quoting random doctors. They see an MD beside the name and they assume they are credible.

Your last part is something I have been throwing around among my friends and families.
Not saying these MD are not creditable but how knowledgeable are they when compare to say Dr. Bonny Henry?
It is like taking hockey tips from Sid is a lot different than from someone like the Goat. Not saying the Goat can't give good hockey tips but he is not Crosby.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Turkey claims success treating COVID-19 with broad use of drug touted by Trump

tn_tu-flag.gif

Turkey: Population 84,078,320
Coronavirus Cases: 229,891
Deaths: 5,674
Recovered: 213,539

Better than us

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Those are COVID numbers out of turkey, I'd take them with a large grain of salt, hell even developed western countries numbers can be dicey at times

I posted 5 other countries or more earlier on. They have better numbers than us but I guess entire medical staff and profession of other countries can't keep count. What actual reason do they have to lie again? Again, there are multiple countries using it and having good success if you do a little research you can also find hundreds of Doctors written statements to the effect, but if they are all lying...???

Reactions: Nineteen67

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I posted 5 other countries or more earlier on. They have better numbers than us but I guess entire medical staff and profession of other countries can't keep count. What actual reason do they have to lie again? Again, there are multiple countries using it and having good success if you do a little research you can also find hundreds of Doctors written statements to the effect, but if they are all lying...???

For a start I didn't say they are lying, I said the numbers could be dicey coming out of a country like Turkey, they can be dicey in developed western countries so I'd have some scepticism and the studies I've seen on that drug are mixed

I don't mind doctors giving opinions but I'd want to see some evidence backing that before I'd get to excited

kb

Aug 28, 2009
For a start I didn't say they are lying, I said the numbers could be dicey coming out of a country like Turkey, they can be dicey in developed western countries so I'd have some scepticism and the studies I've seen on that drug are mixed

I don't mind doctors giving opinions but I'd want to see some evidence backing that before I'd get to excited

Kiwi, anything that is cheap, effective, and works is immediately shut down under the guise of 'misinformation'. That's what every media site has done. So you will never get 'evidence'.

Big pharma and the media have this covered. Nothing that doesn't make big pharma rich will ever see the light of day.

Reactions: Nineteen67

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Fair enough, don't you think their testimony is evidence? The studies that "discredit" HCQ have either been retracted or were ridiculous overdoses or not even using Zinc. The whole point of HCQ is to be used with Zinc because the Zinc is actually the important mineral in defeating it while the HCQ apparently allows Zinc to pass into our cells.

Lot's of debate going on, I just want people to live, love and laugh.

Reactions: mmalady and kb

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I been staying away from this thread because I am actually in this field.

None of the 'good' studies show benefit as far as I know. The random anecdotal evidence from observation studies are not good evidence. It has been utter chaos in most ICU's, there are no controlling of anything in those environments.

Also, many doctors are NOT trained as researchers. You would be shocked how poor the comprehension of research is when it comes to some doctors. Medical school only requires intro epidemiology course and the vast majority of doctors are not involved in research. I wish people would stop quoting random doctors. They see an MD beside the name and they assume they are credible.
ICU is too late for HCQ to be effective.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
My municipality just made masks manditory... We have zero cases and only 3 since the beginning.

When would we possibly end the manditory mask order since we already dont have any??? slippery slope giving into the mob.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Kiwi, anything that is cheap, effective, and works is immediately shut down under the guise of 'misinformation'. That's what every media site has done. So you will never get 'evidence'.

Big pharma and the media have this covered. Nothing that doesn't make big pharma rich will ever see the light of day.

The studies on it are inconclusive, if people want to take it go for it but I don't think it's a silver bullet, I don't think anything is a silver bullet for this thing

I just think it needs to run it's course, I'm not willing to change how I live my life because of it though

Fair enough, don't you think their testimony is evidence? The studies that "discredit" HCQ have either been retracted or were ridiculous overdoses or not even using Zinc. The whole point of HCQ is to be used with Zinc because the Zinc is actually the important mineral in defeating it while the HCQ apparently allows Zinc to pass into our cells.

Lot's of debate going on, I just want people to live, love and laugh.

It's evidence but there's also evidence around that would make you question how effective it's going to be as well

I want my civil liberties back, for every kid to be back in school and under 40's to go about they're everyday lives because that's what the available evidence suggests should happen

Reactions: kb

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver

tn_tu-flag.gif

Turkey: Population 84,078,320

Coronavirus Cases: 229,891
Deaths: 5,674
Recovered: 213,539

Better than us
Can’t compare death rates between countries and attribute it to a single drug. Turkey has different testing protocols, different death classification protocols, and is a substantially younger population than anywhere in the West.

Reactions: Blue Nate and Slot

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

This HCQ thing reminds me of the urban legend during the SARS in HK. It was rumoured that SARS patients are all non smokers which led to people picking up smoking to prevent SARS.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
My municipality just made masks manditory... We have zero cases and only 3 since the beginning.

When would we possibly end the manditory mask order since we already dont have any??? slippery slope giving into the mob.
My town had 0 cases since this whole thing started, so I don't feel the need to wear a mask that doesn't do anything anyways when I go shopping.

Reactions: CreeksideStrangler

kb

Aug 28, 2009
This HCQ thing reminds me of the urban legend during the SARS in HK. It was rumoured that SARS patients are all non smokers which led to people picking up smoking to prevent SARS.
And people who wanted to disinfect themselves from the inside for this. lol Definitely can't fix stupid.

I have heard only anecdotal on HCQ, but it supposedly was only effective in conjunction with Zinc, Vitamin D3, and C. I don't care to debate whether or not this works, just the fact that we will only hear neutral or negative reports because there is very little $$$ to be made with this no matter how effective it is.

As Kiwi said, give me my freedoms back. We are at the thought police and public shaming stage. Stringent rules on what you can and cannot do, and sources of information and messages are strictly controlled.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don't like the government's back to school proposal. It's too soon to be sending kids back.

Virtual classrooms should be the norm until the pandemic is over, and parents that are impacted financially should receive extended benefits.

There are many parents that are currently working from home and won't have an issue.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
HCQ has not shown to be effective at any stage. RCTs have shown this. Conspiracy wackos cling to anecdotes and the one retracted study, ignoring the mountain of evidence showing no efficacy.

I wouldn’t call them wackos. Where it has been used have seen fewer deaths. Maybe it’s luck.
If I was to get it, and showed symptoms, there’s no question in my mind I would take it and probably Ivermectin.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

I will say this. They have been using it on people with mild symptoms. All these reports you are claiming do have some validity, but again, you need to give all the facts.

Treating younger patients with mild symptoms and then claiming it is working is misleading.

There is some proven success, and Canada has used it in around 13% of the cases.

No one has said it doesn't work, but the arguement is that the side effects can be brutal.

Like all medication, it depends on the person taking it, how it will react to the body/ virus.

For some, there is no doubt that this can be a tool against Covid. But to say it is effective for everyone is not true.

Taking a bunch of younger individuals with mild symptoms and saying " Look,, they didn't die,, is a false narrative".

Thwre has been numerous studies on this issue. Read the ones that are pro and against it and you can decipher the fact from fiction

Reactions: Blue Nate
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad