Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The positive percentage is the big tell in all of it. More testing will mean more positives, yeah. But for a while the state has dropped from 10% positive in tests to 6% while the number of positives stayed the same. That was a good thing! The number of percentage positive tests, however, are increasing and things have been opened for two weeks. It’s not drastic so it’s too early to sound an alarm bell, but it’s worth watching.

Yes, but is the increase in positive % just capturing some of the community spread that already existed but was undercounted (as we know, a lot more have/had it than were reflected in official numbers)? Too soon to tell...it’d be nice if they contact traced some of these people testing positive, which would give a better idea if it’s truly spreading from recently opened business activity

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The SC voted 5-4 last night that limiting the amount of people that can go into church due to COVID-19 is not a violation of the 1st amendment, and it's kinda sad how there for 4 dissenters there. I think that's all I can say without getting banned from this thread :laugh:

Let's just say I don't have a high opinion on organized religion.
There's just really no reason that this kind of rule for churches should exist. They are gatherings just like any other. Use the same gathering rules as anything else.

And the church itself teaches that they don't need to be in the actual building. The people are the Church and all that. I get that it's a community thing, but so is my frisbee league. Anything about the church that anybody is trying to argue is essential can be done remotely, per the churches own teachings.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I mean really? Why? No clue what the relationship is.

This is the kind of actions ISIS did in destroying irreplaceable heritage sites that told the story of the past of their ancestors.

Nothing says justice like looting the College Football HoF. Same goes for the Dior stores and bars. It's all in the name of justice :cool:

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
***NEW WARNING***

- ZERO tolerance for political sides talk. I do not care who is right or left. It does not matter. It is not for this thread or this website. You will be removed.

- RESPECT one another. It's a simple concept. This is a tough time. Just respect one another.

- ZERO tolerance for any mindset that someone dying is okay. That's not going to happen here. You will be removed.

Seriously... just be nice to one another. It's simple.

My theory is that no one reads this or abides by it because it is no longer bolded.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
People who espouse a deep disdain for “experts” and/or science are the truly scary people in this country...facts,truth is relative except what Fox News (or substitute political organization) tells you...these are the people collecting guns and joining domestic terrorist groups...

A lot of people with long resumes call themselves experts and throw shit out there and call it science. I've spent significant parts of the last 27 years tearing opposing expert reports or expert testimony apart/getting (or attempting to get) them thrown out under Daubert, or helping my own experts put their reports/testimony together on certain types of models and other scientific issues. There's a lot of gray out there in the scientific world, especially when it comes to scientific models, and this whole pandemic has simply driven that point home. I wouldn't say that anyone who has questioned that science is scary.

I mean, haven't you ever said, politely of course, that a prosecutor's expert scientific witness is full of shit?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Humans are human. Often wrong or at the very least driven by pre-existing narrative, greed or other ulterior motives that will poison the well.

That doesn't mean that "all experts are wrong." What the hell? Wouldn't we all have polio or be walking around in our caves in the dark were that the case?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
A lot of people with long resumes call themselves experts and throw shit out there and call it science. I've spent significant parts of the last 27 years tearing opposing expert reports or expert testimony apart/getting (or attempting to get) them thrown out under Daubert, or helping my own experts put their reports/testimony together on certain types of models and other scientific issues. There's a lot of gray out there in the scientific world, especially when it comes to scientific models, and this whole pandemic has simply driven that point home. I wouldn't say that anyone who has questioned that science is scary.

I mean, haven't you ever said, politely of course, that a prosecutor's expert scientific witness is full of shit?
disagreeing with an expert is perfectly reasonable. A single person can always be wrong. But when the vast majority of experts start agreeing, you should double check your work if you start disagreeing. They CAN be wrong obviously. But they are more likely to be correct than random non-experts.

Note, I'm not saying that if you disagree you are wrong. I'm saying that if you disagree you should dig deeper and figure out why you disagree and make sure it holds up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Humans are human. Often wrong or at the very least driven by pre-existing narrative, greed or other ulterior motives that will poison the well.

That doesn't mean that "all experts are wrong." What the hell? Wouldn't we all have polio or be walking around in our caves in the dark were that the case?

I don't think anyone said all experts are wrong. But just because someone is an "expert" doesn't mean they're always right.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't think anyone said all experts are wrong. But just because someone is an "expert" doesn't mean they're always right.

My mistake... the quote was "experts are always wrong." I still disagree.

As opposed to what? Jed from down the holler? A crazy ranter Youtube video?

Honestly I don't take issue with being informed, doing the research and coming to your own conclusions with critical thinking. I encourage it. We'd be better off. My issue there is that it's obvious that most are skipping a few steps.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
In a situation like Covid, for sure. Especially since we have been learning so much about it on the fly. I see people pointing to changes in the guidelines as a reason to just ignore what the experts are saying entirely. The notion that changing your opinion as new evidence presents itself is somehow a negative quality in a person is so infuriating. Not aiming that at anyone in particular btw.

So yeah, experts can be wrong. But if they are true experts, they are the best we've got.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
In a situation like Covid, for sure. Especially since we have been learning so much about it on the fly. I see people pointing to changes in the guidelines as a reason to just ignore what the experts are saying entirely. The notion that changing your opinion as new evidence presents itself is somehow a negative quality in a person is so infuriating. Not aiming that at anyone in particular btw.

So yeah, experts can be wrong. But if they are true experts, they are the best we've got.

Don't disagree with anything you've said, especially about learning on the fly. But a lot of people - for any number of reasons -wrongly believe that these experts speak absolute truth on a really complex, poorly understood technical issue where they are in fact learning on the fly. So then they are skeptical when opinions change.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I think "trust" has a lot to do with this. At the beginning, people wearing masks were almost vilified (exaggeration), then masks became the norm. We washed off all groceries and mail. The original discussion was that it could sit on tangible items for like 24+ hours. That recently was changed.

It's frustrating because once you get into a groove on how to go about it, the needle moves. Do people out there wash off their mail/packages/groceries? What are people doing nowadays.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Cole already said this shit was off limits but any comments on what’s going on in Atlanta, Minneapolis or anywhere else from anyone on this board (given the likely demographics) should begin and end with “I don’t know the pain these people feel and have felt, so I’m not going to judge how they react when pushed to their limit.”

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
The degree to which an expert is wrong is insanely minute compared to the degree in which the ignorant ignoring the expert is wrong.
nothing ignorant about ignoring the lies it's those that choose to still believe them. imo irrational hatred has blinded way too many people to the point they can't accept the truth even when their life depends on it. just because it means those they have been listening to haven't told them the truth in the last 5 years.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think "trust" has a lot to do with this. At the beginning, people wearing masks were almost vilified (exaggeration), then masks became the norm. We washed off all groceries and mail. The original discussion was that it could sit on tangible items for like 24+ hours. That recently was changed.

It's frustrating because once you get into a groove on how to go about it, the needle moves. Do people out there wash off their mail/packages/groceries? What are people doing nowadays.
sure it's frustrating, but that's how things work. This shit is hard, and they are giving the best answer they can with the information that they have. But the world is so ready to distrust that they see that as not just a failure, but as intentional misinformation or something.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
sure it's frustrating, but that's how things work. This shit is hard, and they are giving the best answer they can with the information that they have. But the world is so ready to distrust that they see that as not just a failure, but as an intentional misdirection or something.

Oh AMEN man. I totally agree. Data is forever coming in rapidly with this. They are making their expert opinions on the fly. And you know what.. to be fair they are admitting it. They are saying "My opinion as the data sits right now...." But as someone who needs to make the safest choices for my family, my peers, loved ones, etc... I need that shit to be good. :laugh:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Cole already said this shit was off limits but any comments on what’s going on in Atlanta, Minneapolis or anywhere else from anyone on this board (given the likely demographics) should begin and end with “I don’t know the pain these people feel and have felt, so I’m not going to judge how they react when pushed to their limit.”

I’m white, but growing up how I did, I was constantly harassed by the police just because of where I lived.

I had cops follow me home late at night and question me, ask me if I’m a thug when I was trying to help them, and threaten me over mundane things because apparently all inner city kids are drug dealing gang bangers.

My bro came home in tears one day when six cops pulled him over and threw him agt the car and held a gun to his head... simply because he was driving a car that was the same make and color as a robbery suspect.

I know what it’s like to feel my life is in danger because of cops, maybe not to the extent of a black man, but it’s scary as hell and a powerless feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad