Coronavirus and the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
more testing is one reason. But how are the deaths? We are seeing a lot more positive asystematic tests. I still believe tons of us already had it months ago.

Actually, more testing in Florida is flat out not true. The amount of new tests in Florida actually has plateaued or been stagnant from about the last month, while cases are rising.

Source: Florida Department of Health

tests-06-22-2020.png

cases-06-22-2020.png

The surge in Florida coronavirus cases wasn’t caused just by an increase in testing

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I can't speak for TX/AZ, and I can't speak for everyone here in FL, but I can tell you what I see where I'm at. It isn't that we don't see a threat, and its not that we don't care. But many here feel we need to start pressing the limits and seeing what is possible. Like I said before the vaccine is a ways off. This is the reality of the world we live in, its not going to just vanish if wait it out. People aren't forced to do things, so they can stay home, continue to get pickup groceries, watch church from home, or whatever. But the medical people here are comfortable, the numbers in our county are good, and we are still taking steps. It's not like we are 100% open and flaunting running around down here. We may need to bring it back in, who knows. And if DC isn't ready, or you aren't ready fine. Let us take some steps down here and test the waters, stay up there and we will let you know how it goes.

interesting Russian roulette mentality....I’m afraid many are simply numb to it now.

Reactions: SBraun

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think now that they will have to cancel the season. BLM made the recent spike I guess, that's unfortunate reality I believe.

As numbers rise, it will be evident that those who are in danger aren't players themselves but all the other staff ppl who provide the entertainment.

There is no sense to risk killing any of the older guys. I don't see how you justify continuing the season in this seemingly second wave in US.

Will be glad to see I'm wrong.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think now that they will have to cancel the season. BLM made the recent spike I guess, that's unfortunate reality I believe.

As numbers rise, it will be evident that those who are in danger aren't players themselves but all the other staff ppl who provide the entertainment.

There is no sense to risk killing any of the older guys. I don't see how you justify continuing the season in this seemingly second wave in US.

Will be glad to see I'm wrong.

The 7 day moving average of new positive tests has a few states trending toward double digit % or already there:

AL
AR
AZ
FL
GA
MS
NV
SC
TX
UT

The protests were nationwide, even global. These states are not singled out because of protests, it's because they're generally southern or red states that either never fully locked down or opened too early with no data to justify it.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
So you think ppl watching protests from home decided to be more disciplined and therefore % are going up? Or what? Why does the raise coincide with protests? Pure coincidence?

I see a connection. You dont. Ok.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So you think ppl watching protests from home decided to be more disciplined and therefore % are going up? Or what? Why does the raise coincide with protests? Pure coincidence?

No there is a very good chance there will be increases everywhere people without masks were protesting. Not every area was irresponsible in protesting.

That's a separate issue from what I posted, which is a clear pattern of increased positive testing in areas that have flaunted most if not all protective measures, usually for political reasons.

I'm not sure you know what's been going on here. Trump has been pushing toward denial of coronavirus as a problem and some states have adopted his political stance. And it's purely political, not medical.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010

Well there could very well be a connection.

But in areas that also had massive BLM protests which were much more strict in coronavirus restrictions or had much delayed and cautious re-openings like your very own Capitals' hometown of the greater Washington DC area (DC, Maryland and Virginia), the COVID-19 numbers have been falling or plateaued.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Well there could very well be a connection.

But in areas that also had massive BLM protests but were more much more strict in coronavirus restrictions or had much delayed and cautious re-openings like your very own Capitals' hometown of the greater Washington DC area (DC, Maryland and Virginia), the COVID-19 numbers have been falling or plateaued.

There is currently very little actual statistical connection between protests and rising rates of infection, but there is very strong correlative statistical evidence that re-opening too soon ties directly to rising infection rates. Just like there is very strong correlation between practicing CDC guidelines and infection rate, not all protests looked the same in terms of safety and size, so gathering specific statistics out of each individual protest site is nearly impossible. But gathering statistics out of states or cities which are implementing, or not implementing, CDC guidelines, is a much more informative endeavor.

Bottom line, the statement that its the protests which is causing the spikes is not founded in any science, just political opinion without justification. The statement that cities and states which are reopening without following guidelines are where the spikes are concentrated, is based on easily verifiable evidence.

That the timing of the two occurrences (protests vs re-opening) overlaps is almost irrelevant. They can easily be extrapolated from each other.

Also, give it a month, and lets see what comes out of the Tulsa 6200 gathering with virtually zero guidelines followed. As Neil DeGrasse Tyson says, the thing about science is that its true whether you believe it or not. We'll have some fresh evidence soon enough.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well, I dont follow states or cities and their regulations, tbh. Just accumulative numbers for US.
I stated my opinion and clearly formed it as opinion, not science. Political color of each state is unknown to me.

I see two things: protests (as A weakness of the government anyway) and covid wave number two (possibly). So my opinion was that NHL season is in big trouble.

Artificial increase in covid cases or not, I dont know. You state that Trump does that. I think that Trump is a hired clown and the situation is more complex.

I dont know for a fact how politicians work with states and cities, I do not pay attention because both democrats and republicans are anti-Russian. Which will win the next elections does not matter for us. Wont change much, here at least.

Also, about science. Ive read that the most amount of covid's subtypes was found in US which makes it a probable origin. US gov tells us its Chinese. Is it Trump's incompetence? Are scientists wrong? Am I reading with my ass? Care to enlighten me?

PS: from here latest videos look wild, very wild. I dont expect it to end well anytime soon.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
NHL is looking at Canada for the eastern Hub city.
They seem set in Vegas for the western.

I don’t think the outbreak will have much of an impact on the hub cities

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Well, I dont follow states or cities and their regulations, tbh. Just accumulative numbers for US.
I stated my opinion and clearly formed it as opinion, not science. Political color of each state is unknown to me.

I see two things: protests (as A weakness of the government anyway) and covid wave number two (possibly). So my opinion was that NHL season is in big trouble.

Artificial increase in covid cases or not, I dont know. You state that Trump does that. I think that Trump is a hired clown and the situation is more complex.

I dont know for a fact how politicians work with states and cities, I do not pay attention because both democrats and republicans are anti-Russian. Which will win the next elections does not matter for us. Wont change much, here at least.

Also, about science. Ive read that the most amount of covid's subtypes was found in US which makes it a probable origin. US gov tells us its Chinese. Is it Trump's incompetence? Are scientists wrong? Am I reading with my ass? Care to enlighten me?

PS: from here latest videos look wild, very wild. I dont expect it to end well anytime soon.

I think you would have to share what you’re actually reading with us here....and if it’s smeared with poop, well there you have it. ;) Does anyone really care about blaming for COVID at the point?

Trying not to get political but I don’t see much/any defending Trump here, so take that into account. We’re all along for the ride. Hopefully one ending soon. It’s painful at times. If this was Netflix, this show would have gotten 1 season.

As far as the various states and their rises....Cali makes me wonder the most. They locked down early and are still exploding.....yes they also had massive protesting. Ponderous....

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
NHL is looking at Canada for the eastern Hub city.
They seem set in Vegas for the western.

I don’t think the outbreak will have much of an impact on the hub cities
I saw today that the NHL was finalizing Vancouver, only to have city officials push back again. Looked like the league was going to circle back to the Toronto and Edmonton city officials to try and iron out a plan with Chicago and LA as outside shots if Canada doesn't work out.

I've also heard Vegas is going to be the Eastern hub for whatever reason. Maybe because they don't want Vegas to have some sort of advantage?

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Your actual quote that got my response was "BLM made the recent spike I guess, that's the reality I believe".... now you're saying you don't actually follow the details in the locations and formed your "opinion" without much factual information, looking at it from afar without much true understanding. Gotcha.

As for Covid subtypes and its origin, I haven't studied it and you quoted no source, so rather than forming opinions without any knowledge at all, I'll pass. I'd offer you might consider that next time as well. I will just say this, I trust scientists more than I trust Trump, and reading with your ass seems like doing it wrong.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
As far as the various states and their rises....Cali makes me wonder the most. They locked down early and are still exploding.....yes they also had massive protesting. Ponderous....

California is as guilty as any other state of reopening too soon. They had flattened the curve and say very little increase in rate over May, so it began phased re-opening on county by county basis. Whats happening now is actually a lot of spread into rural areas, farm areas, not the big cities as much. Of course LA County still has the largest numbers, but its rate isn't going up exponentially like some other more rural areas are seeing. But as one example, San Francisco closed up early and has stayed locked down and cases there are very much under control.

Red State, Blue State... doesn't matter much. Follow the guidelines, it slows this thing down. Ignore them and you will have an outbreak. When politics and worldviews enter the picture, the virus doesn't care at all. Doing the right thing but then stopping only prolongs the whole mess.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Would love to see this proof that COVID started in the US. LOL

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
California is as guilty as any other state of reopening too soon. They had flattened the curve and say very little increase in rate over May, so it began phased re-opening on county by county basis. Whats happening now is actually a lot of spread into rural areas, farm areas, not the big cities as much. Of course LA County still has the largest numbers, but its rate isn't going up exponentially like some other more rural areas are seeing. But as one example, San Francisco closed up early and has stayed locked down and cases there are very much under control.

Red State, Blue State... doesn't matter much. Follow the guidelines, it slows this thing down. Ignore them and you will have an outbreak. When politics and worldviews enter the picture, the virus doesn't care at all. Doing the right thing but then stopping only prolongs the whole mess.

So only LA County plus rural areas are spiking? Interesting.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

I was at multiple protests in DC the past 2+ weeks: Almost everyone was wearing masks. The only ones I didn't see wearing masks were the National Guardsmen aka weekend warriors.

With the US's cases not declining vs other countries, I just don't see how the NHL finishes this season.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
The US has two distinct strains of COVID that I've read. The one that is more prevalent in China and Asia, and a deadlier strain that was more prevalent in Europe. The European strain hit the East Coast and the milder Asian one hit the West coast early on..

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The US has two distinct strains of COVID that I've read. The one that is more prevalent in China and Asia, and a deadlier strain that was more prevalent in Europe. The European strain hit the East Coast and the milder Asian one hit the West coast early on..

Read the whole thread for the rundown

Reactions: tenken00

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
No there is a very good chance there will be increases everywhere people without masks were protesting. Not every area was irresponsible in protesting.

That's a separate issue from what I posted, which is a clear pattern of increased positive testing in areas that have flaunted most if not all protective measures, usually for political reasons.

I'm not sure you know what's been going on here. Trump has been pushing toward denial of coronavirus as a problem and some states have adopted his political stance. And it's purely political, not medical.

Haven’t been involved much, and I like me some g00n (we’ve been peas and carrots for a good 5yrs now?), however I don’t see as much of the politics in the moment as I do a reaction to what the people have wanted. It’s not a Red vs Blue issue. It’s jobs/livelihood vs not issue.

There are a LOT of people that don’t want this anymore (I live in Deep Blue CA, and Im very worried for what people are doing with their being more open mindset right now).....but I’m also in an industry that is benefiting from the economic issues COVID has created). So I am not *needing* the economy to open. I’m not on that soapbox.

But it seems easy to understand why so many are. In all states. And of course in the Red States it seems more prevalent. As those people are the ones that needed more income back in 2016, and many are strongly impacted here. And of course they got our current President in the White House.

so it all flows income needs, as well as politics. IMO

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think you would have to share what you’re actually reading with us here....and if it’s smeared with poop, well there you have it. ;) Does anyone really care about blaming for COVID at the point?

Trying not to get political but I don’t see much/any defending Trump here, so take that into account. We’re all along for the ride. Hopefully one ending soon. It’s painful at times. If this was Netflix, this show would have gotten 1 season.

Turns out CA is a tale of 2 states, Northern vs Southern. The line is drawn around Pismo Beach and heads across the state. Around 33% of populace is north, 66% south. Again. Very roughly.

The COVID cases are 14/86 in percentage. North/South.

every single northern CA county is below the state average in cases. Every one.

so CA is really 2 vastly different playgrounds. As it’s always been. North and South are 2 different worlds. For the most part.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
auspice

click the link and "play" the animation

"Although the genetic relationships among sampled viruses are quite clear, there is considerable uncertainty surrounding estimates of specific transmission dates and in reconstruction of geographic spread. Please be aware that specific inferred transmission patterns are only a hypothesis."

I read it as: nothing is a fact yet.

Im no expert in this, I just read certain russian forums. I cant cite it. I just tell what I recall from reading a lot of texts since January.

My current stance about the origin is simple too: there is no evidence it's from Wuhan. It's a hypothesis also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad