Coronavirus and the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Turns out CA is a tale of 2 states, Northern vs Southern. The line is drawn around Pismo Beach and heads across the state. Around 33% of populace is north, 66% south. Again. Very roughly.

The COVID cases are 14/86 in percentage. North/South.

every single northern CA county is below the state average in cases. Every one.

so CA is really 2 vastly different playgrounds. As it’s always been. North and South are 2 different worlds. For the most part.

wow...wild.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Parties — Not Protests — Are Causing Spikes In Coronavirus

"We're finding that the social events and gatherings, these parties where people aren't wearing masks, are our primary source of infection," Lautenbach says. "And then the secondary source of infection is workplace settings. There were 31 related employers just associated with that one party because of the number of people that brought that to their workplace. So for us, for a community our size, that's a pretty massive spread."

And much of that spread, Lautenbach says, is affecting young people.
"We have seen almost a near flip in the cases that we're experiencing," Lautenbach says. "So in April of this year, we were really struggling with long-term-care outbreaks. And so about 3 out of 4 people were over the age of 30 and really pretty heavily skewed to 60-plus. And by contrast, in June, we're seeing that now 2 out of 3 people that have contracted this disease are under 29."

That trend is mirrored in Florida, where the median age for COVID-19 patients dropped from 65 years old in March to 37 in late June. Dr. Cheryl Holder, an associate professor at Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine at Florida International University, says that's partly because young people are getting exposed more.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
You know my English is not good. Nowhere near my Russian at least.

I read this as protests are one of the primary sources for the recent spike in covid cases. Am I right here?

Is that that exact science which proved me wrong just two days ago?

PS: I just cant get how they type "social events and gatherings" and "not protests" in the same article. Pure highly likely propaganda.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You know my English is not good. Nowhere near my Russian at least.

I read this as protests are one of the primary sources for the recent spike in covid cases. Am I right here?

Is that that exact science which proved me wrong just two days ago?

PS: I just cant get how they type "social events and gatherings" and "not protests" in the same article. Pure highly likely propaganda.

Lol.

No, it does not back you up. It contradicts you completely. Do you know what contact tracing is?

That's how they know.

I'm guessing no amount of data will convince you what you believe is the real propaganda.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Parties and get togethers of a social nature, and work. Those are the two big reasons for the spike. It's in the article. It's in the quote so you don't even have to click the article.

So no. You are not right.

More from the article:

"We did have a rally in Bellingham, which is our county seat, and there was also a protest, and we have not been able to connect a single case to that rally or to the protest, and what we're finding is in large part that's due to the use of masks," Erika Lautenbach, the director of the Whatcom County Health Department in Washington State, tells NPR's All Things Considered. "Almost everyone at the rally was wearing a mask, and it's really a testament to how effective masks are in preventing the spread of this disease."

This is playing out very consistently everywhere. Masks are slowing the spread, even at protests. Places that are stubbornly resisting protection measures and masks, as a matter of some political agenda, are surging in virus positivity rate.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Parties and get togethers of a social nature, and work. Those are the two big reasons for the spike. It's in the article. It's in the quote so you don't even have to click the article.

So no. You are not right.

More from the article:

This is playing out very consistently everywhere. Masks are slowing the spread, even at protests. Places that are stubbornly resisting protection measures and masks, as a matter of some political agenda, are surging in virus positivity rate.

Great to know. I am happy to be on the right track. I need all the defense I can get against the forces of the wrong track. You can present this information to them all you want and it wont make a dent.

I really wonder what they are going to be saying in Texas here shortly?

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Also from the NPR article:

"The concern is that because these younger people are having more mild symptoms, they are going to work sick, they are visiting with their parents and grandparents sick and they're continuing to go to social events where they expose more and more people," Lautenbach says. "So when we think about that web of spread, that web just grows and grows and grows."

This is one reason it's not just a personal decision. And as more people adopt this attitude society gravitates more toward forcing people into exposure, as I said before to Corby, iirc.

One example of this is some daycare facilities are losing emergency funding. So they will eventually have to restore their full pricing instead of offering discounts to parents who keep their kids home, like us. The daycare administrators have to prioritize kids whose parents are returning to work, and returning to work is the only way to keep paying for the full daycare bill. If you don't keep paying you risk losing your spot in a competitive daycare market (which any parent knows well). So you go back to work, and your kid goes back to daycare, even though it's not yet safe.

Stuff like this will keep happening as more and more support structures are removed for those who are isolating (unemployment benefits, utilities payment protections, mortgage grace periods, etc) . It's not just a personal choice. There are ripple effects for everyone, especially when there's a national agenda behind it that carries the full force of the WH and all subordinate agencies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Certainly seemed to me from watching video from various cities over the weeks, that some protest areas had more or less wearers of masks than others. I’d wager that while protesting may not be the primary cause of an increase in many areas, it’s still A cause in most, and therefor not insignificant if it’s causing harm or death.

let the blaming of Millennials and Gen Z begin! Harbingers of doom! Lol

I’m curious what you all think should be done in the next school year. Full time? 2 days in, 3 remote? Full remote?

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Certainly seemed to me from watching video from various cities over the weeks, that some protest areas had more or less wearers of masks than others. I’d wager that while protesting may not be the primary cause of an increase in many areas, it’s still A cause in most, and therefor not insignificant if it’s causing harm or death.

let the blaming of Millennials and Gen Z begin! Harbingers of doom! Lol

I’m curious what you all think should be done in the next school year. Full time? 2 days in, 3 remote? Full remote?

I don't know how they can keep schools from becoming disease farms. I can't see little kids understanding enough and keeping masks on, and who knows if teens will comply.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Married to an elementary school special education teacher. She gets their snot all over her. She then comes home to me with COVID cooties all over her. We are thinking NC is starting with full remote/zoom school. I feel bad for people in areas where they are going to force it

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Fairfax is trying to offer parents both options. Crazy IMO. Loudoun is still deciding. I will probably side with what the public health officials say when closer to the start, but I can’t see anything more than 2 days in school.

We’ll see. Teachers need massive hazard duty pay.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

The Governor of Arizona made an executive order prohibiting local governments in his state from requiring mask use even though many local leaders (mayors, county commissioners) asked to be allowed to enforce mask use.

Way to go Arizona, you're now the top hotspot!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Fairfax is trying to offer parents both options. Crazy IMO. Loudoun is still deciding. I will probably side with what the public health officials say when closer to the start, but I can’t see anything more than 2 days in school.

We’ll see. Teachers need massive hazard duty pay.

Yes teachers need more. Tax payers in red states think they are evil deep state so...

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I find it amusing that nobody here seemingly thinks that Trump does this not because he's dumb.

As for next school year, remote education is not effective. They have to get in schools sooner or later.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
[QUOTE="Raikkonen, post: 172405109, member: 89792"]I find it amusing that nobody here seemingly thinks that Trump does this not because he's dumb.

As for next school year, remote education is not effective. They have to get in schools sooner or later.[/QUOTE]

Your English is a little off....please expand on your thought.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
The Governor of Arizona made an executive order prohibiting local governments in his state from requiring mask use even though many local leaders (mayors, county commissioners) asked to be allowed to enforce mask use.

Way to go Arizona, you're now the top hotspot!

Consistency of position is not a strong suit among many politicians, regardless of their affiliation. But it's striking that a group that so often leans libertarian and pretends to not desire additional leadership at the Federal level is willing to forgo local decisionmaking when an elected official such as the AZ governor wants to throw his or her weight around. Our esteemed veep was happy to regurgitate a "It's not one size fits all" non-response to a reporter's question yesterday, but I don't recall any concerns expressed by any members of the Administration about State-imposed limits on local elected officials determining what is right for their jurisdictions.

Cases are likely to continue to spike through around July 10. If people do not get smarter and mingle unprotected at events related to the 4th, I would expect things to continue 'heading south,' so to speak, almost thru the end of the month. Then many of the supports to the economy fall away. I wonder what the plan is for August?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Your English is a little off....please expand on your thought.

I think he's saying Trump is doing this on purpose, and he'd be right (if that's his argument). He, and the bootlicking governors loyal to him that are content to put party agenda over the wellbeing of their own citizens, need to deflect from what a colossal f***up their handling of this situation is.

It's all just very sad and selfish. Just wear a mask when you're in public, particularly around other people or when indoors, and stay away from crowds, and most of this situation would go away and we could live some semblance of a normal life. But, that's not patriotic and it violates people's rights and masks cause disease (disclaimer: all of those things are inaccurate) so let's just let the 'Rona burn out of control because this is America and we're going to be #1 at everything even if it kills us (narrator: and it is killing us).

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
upload_2020-6-27_9-44-17.png

MD is a good example of consistent increase in testing and consistent decrease in positive %, along with a seemingly untethered decrease in positive % toward the end while testing was fairly stable and probably averaging just under that 10K axis.

Contrast with states like Florida and Texas that are just spiking the positive % and now locking down again. Why? Because political appearances dictated reckless behavior.

Trump set the tone by refusing to wear a mask and denying the problem. Some governors followed his direction and paid the price. Hell, he's even threatened governors who didn't comply or who disagreed with him. He put funding and aid at risk in exchange for loyalty to him personally. Gov. Hogan of MD is one of the few GOP Governors to stand up to Trump.

Note the difference.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think he's saying Trump is doing this on purpose, and he'd be right (if that's his argument).

Yes, Trump is like Locker to JoeB. A guy who will make colorful comments. My stance is that Trump was hired to be bright colorful guy to deflect the attention from what is happening or is in the making. His style covers his intentions.

Although I think Trump's team is... does he have a team at all now? Even if there was some plan before Trump was elected I think it was altered due to many things/factors.

I would say he didnt start any war yet, so its a plus objectively. Other things look unusual to say the least. Maybe it was planned just like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad