Coronavirus and the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
Even if asymptomatic transmission is rare (which sounds like was an overreaction?), the initial report didn't address whether it covered people who were pre-symptomatic or people with unusual mild symptoms that they may not have linked to COVID-19.

I'd love to hear that this was all an overreaction and we can all get back to normal if we just avoid people who are sweating, white in the face, and coughing up a storm - but no evidence indicates that's the case.

Reactions: twabby

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Even if asymptomatic transmission is rare (which sounds like was an overreaction?), the initial report didn't address whether it covered people who were pre-symptomatic or people with unusual mild symptoms that they may not have linked to COVID-19.

I'd love to hear that this was all an overreaction and we can all get back to normal if we just avoid people who are sweating, white in the face, and coughing up a storm - but no evidence indicates that's the case.

From the tweet thread:

upload_2020-6-9_12-9-32.png

So the WHO screwed up royally. What do we believe now?

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
From the tweet thread:

View attachment 349340

So the WHO screwed up royally. What do we believe now?

I guess we're back to where we were before this report. From what I understood, it has been known (or at least seen as extremely likely) that people without active symptoms can spread the disease. It turns out that those people who can spread the disease will go onto develop symptoms versus a fully asymptomatic course.

As the tweet references, this finding seems irrelevant from a policy standpoint and a behavioral influence standpoint.

Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I guess we're back to where we were before this report. From what I understood, it has been known (or at least seen as extremely likely) that people without active symptoms can spread the disease. It turns out that those people who can spread the disease will go onto develop symptoms versus a fully asymptomatic course.

As the tweet references, this finding seems irrelevant from a policy standpoint and a behavioral influence standpoint.

This basically. To summarize the summary:

People who never develop symptoms (asymptomatic) are unlikely to spread the virus.

People who have not yet, but eventually will develop symptoms (pre-symptomatic), are more likely to spread the virus.

Good luck determining which people are which. And the percentages reported are most likely useless.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
So in the end, wear a mask. Especially if you're going to be around people in an enclosed space or like I saw on Sunday, if you're at a bier garten in Arlington with 100 people packed into a small lot...

marcel snapshot

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
So in the end, wear a mask. Especially if you're going to be around people in an enclosed space or like I saw on Sunday, if you're at a bier garten in Arlington with 100 people packed into a small lot...
Were you guys Oshie-ing your beers through the mask though?

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
how many would you estimate wore masks?

I didn't see anyone with a mask. :(

However, I just came from the protest/march downtown and 99% of people were wearing masks. The only one who weren't were in law enforcement and the national guard. :huh:

(fyi, some from the national guard have begun to test positive...whoops)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
temporarily or permanently....

I’ll let you noodle them both. ;)

Disconnect. My point is that the positive testing has started. That a team with 4 or 5 positive tests is going to get yanked off the ice. You cant play hockey that way. One example of this isn't a thing. Repeated and it is. Starting this early isn't a good sign

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Disconnect. My point is that the positive testing has started. That a team with 4 or 5 positive tests is going to get yanked off the ice. You cant play hockey that way. One example of this isn't a thing. Repeated and it is. Starting this early isn't a good sign

good sign? Nope, but hardly a sign of doom. This is why they’re in small groups to start. Other players have already tested positive previously that haven’t been disclosed, so a few players here or there doesn’t worry me much yet.

testing must still be an issue....

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
This is supposed to be the phase they do get positive tests so this alone shouldn’t end it, but unless they are going full quarantine then I don’t see this being pulled off safely.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
with close contact on the ice, and on the bench one player will infect half of each team in one game. either the season ends early, or the league will hide a bunch of positive cases to get the season in. who likes a good conspiracy?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Maybe I'm naive, but wouldn't the league enforce a two week quarantine at the hub cities before the actual games start? Or at least before training camps begin. Get the players over to NA before training camp starts and have them do a serious quarantine.

NHL should also look at moving the training camps of teams in high case areas. Traveled to Florida for vacation last week and it's incredible how everything is wide open as if nothing is happening.

Reactions: Corby78

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
NHL should also look at moving the training camps of teams in high case areas. Traveled to Florida for vacation last week and it's incredible how everything is wide open as if nothing is happening.

I was also against restarting the season, but was swayed into going ahead with it because I thought that COVID-19 would be going down in number of infections by the end of summer/beginning of fall. Much like how the numbers have dramatically fallen in much if the worst hit countries in Europe who are doing much better now.

But the numbers are now increasing again in this country. It's almost unbelievable how certain regions flaunt their not caring anymore like you said about Florida. Its staggering. We've hit 30,000 new infections in a single day again yesterday! Numbers we haven't seen since April or early May during the peak!

This isn't even a second wave. Its still the first wave that should have been dealt with by now.

If we can't even get out of our own way, I can't see how reopening large events will be a good idea any time in the near future.

Last edited:

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
with close contact on the ice, and on the bench one player will infect half of each team in one game.
That's not true at all. A few Senators got Corona early on before the shutdown and went on a road trip with the team. Only a few got it after road tripping together. There were no reports of their opponents getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->