OT: Coronavirus 3 - wait but Covid 19 is SARS-CoV-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
My kids love this question. My logic to them is that something with water on it is wet. If water is touching other water (molecules) then it is indeed wet. Only a single water molecule can be dry.
I think the wet-making capability of a water molecule cancels out the ability of water molecule to be wet. I mean, I don't think fire is flammable.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
My kids love this question. My logic to them is that something with water on it is wet. If water is touching other water (molecules) then it is indeed wet. Only a single water molecule can be dry.
I’m not sure I am convinced by your logic. Water on glass doesn’t technically make the glass wet even though water is touching the glass. I need to ponder this over a few beers .

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
They Might Be Giants is probably my all-time favorite band, but I understand they aren't for everyone. Their dial-a-song service the couple were talking about in that audio was way ahead of its time... they listed a number you could call and hear new music, basically a streaming service in the 80s. They're still pumping out albums and they're still pretty high quality too even though the Johns have to be pushing 60

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Small sample size, but if true, not very promising in terms of herd immunity and even a vaccine. Going to have to watch this closely as we’ve seen news on small sample studies that later proved false.
Virus immunity may disappear within months: study

Very bad news for herd immunity. Not necessarily bad news for vaccines, which can be ramped up and taken repeatedly as necessary. We take a flu vaccine every year when flu season rolls around; we can do the same with COVID if need be.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Very bad news for herd immunity. Not necessarily bad news for vaccines, which can be ramped up and taken repeatedly as necessary. We take a flu vaccine every year when flu season rolls around; we can do the same with COVID if need be.
True. Could be a twice or 3 times a year deal if need be.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
True. Could be a twice or 3 times a year deal if need be.

My hope is that when the first vaccine comes out, COVID basically "disappears" over the course of a few months because of vaccine-induced herd immunity, and it then becomes a primarily seasonal affliction, and then people can boost seasonally, and more frequently if necessary in areas where hotspots develop.

But I don't really know how any of it works, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

The group found that when a new NHL team moved into a city, it resulted in a 24.6 per cent increase in the local flu mortality rate, or about 20 more flu deaths per city per year. A new NFL team resulted in a 17 per cent increase, or 13 additional flu deaths.

Less affected, but still statistically significant, are cities that become home to new NBA or MLB franchises, which experienced increases in influenza mortality rates of 4.7 per cent and 5.3 per cent respectively. These increases each represent about three additional deaths annually.

Soebbing said some of the results could be chalked up to the time of year the sport is played. Baseball, for instance, runs from spring into the fall, which is typically the shoulder season for influenza. The bulk of the NFL games border peak flu season, while hockey and basketball run throughout the flu season.

As to why the NBA and NHL have marked differences, Soebbing said the difference in the number of teams the respective leagues grew by and when they expanded might be factors, adding that additional research is needed to explore these differences.

The disparity between the NHL and NBA doesn't seem accurate.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
My hope is that when the first vaccine comes out, COVID basically "disappears" over the course of a few months because of vaccine-induced herd immunity, and it then becomes a primarily seasonal affliction, and then people can boost seasonally, and more frequently if necessary in areas where hotspots develop.

I would hope that as well. There is zero chance that a sizable portion of Americans get vaccinated so not sure what % of herd immunity is needed

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

In this country with the prevalence of anti-vaxxer loons and the possibility that some politicians will say they won't take it which then produces a bubble effect....good luck with that.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
In this country with the prevalence of anti-vaxxer loons and the possibility that some politicians will say they won't take it which then produces a bubble effect....good luck with that.

We can never get 100%, but we don't need 100% to confer some degree of herd immunity -- and as I understand it, herd immunity can look different in different places. So there's a chance. Anyway, all hope is not yet lost.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
We can never get 100%, but we don't need 100% to confer some degree of herd immunity -- and as I understand it, herd immunity can look different in different places. So there's a chance. Anyway, all hope is not yet lost.
My belief is we get less than 50% vaccination rate between the anti-vaxxers and those that, like the flu shot, don't seem to think it necessary for one reason or another. I don't think that gets us to herd immunity, but I'm not certain.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Per the CDC, about 40% of adults in the US get the annual flu vaccine...close to 60% of kids get it now that it's recommended for public school (guessing that number is growing with increasing enforcement/removal of exemptions).

If you break down the adult data, 60%+ of US adults 65 and older get the flu vaccine.

Short of wide-spread public/private mandates, I think it's a reasonable starting estimate for the take-rate on a theoretical Covid-19 vaccine.

Edit: Only a handful of States actually have annual flu vaccine mandates. For the rest it's just recommended.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Per the CDC, about 40% of adults in the US get the annual flu vaccine...close to 60% of kids get it now that it's mandated for public school (guessing that number is growing with increasing enforcement/removal of exemptions).

If you break down the adult data, 60%+ of US adults 65 and older get the flu vaccine.

Short of wide-spread public/private mandates, I think it's a reasonable starting estimate for the take-rate on a theoretical Covid-19 vaccine.

My kids are older so I never realized that.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I never made a point of getting the flu shot, mainly because I've never had the flu and it seemed like 50/50 odds that it would really help anyway. It just never felt like it was worth the trouble.

Until all this happened, it never dawned on me that I could carry an illness without actually showing symptoms. I knew about Typhoid Mary and was aware, at a theoretical level, that things like that can happen. But I had no idea how common it was, so I never connected the dots on a personal level until the coronavirus came along and gave us all a crash course on epidemiology.

Now, I don't know if I've managed to go my entire life without ever being exposed to the flu, but it seems unlikely (especially since my wife has had it twice in the six years that we've known each other). But now that I'm aware of asymptomatic spread, I'll be getting the shot every year. It serves the same purpose as wearing a mask, and my thoughts on that are pretty well-documented here.

Hopefully there are others with a similar story that will drive up the take rate on vaccines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad