OT: Coronavirus 3 - wait but Covid 19 is SARS-CoV-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
I wonder if the fact that it's mRNA-based has any effect on likelihood of side effects...

it will be the first of its kind if it is approved, so guess we will find out! there are still a lot of unknowns with mRNA vaccine technologies

one of the big upsides is how easy it is to scale up production of this type of vaccine

Reactions: SlavinAway

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I wonder if the fact that it's mRNA-based has any effect on likelihood of side effects...

In what way? I wouldn't think so; the cells read the mRNA as instructions to build a viral protein, and therefore create some of the virus’s molecules themselves. These proteins are solitary, so they do not assemble to form a virus. The immune system then detects these viral proteins and starts to produce a defensive response to them.

Because you’re not introducing the whole virus into the body, the virus can’t mount its own self-defence and so the immune system can concentrate on creating a response to the viral proteins without interference by the virus.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
In what way? I wouldn't think so; the cells read the mRNA as instructions to build a viral protein, and therefore create some of the virus’s molecules themselves. These proteins are solitary, so they do not assemble to form a virus. The immune system then detects these viral proteins and starts to produce a defensive response to them.

Because you’re not introducing the whole virus into the body, the virus can’t mount its own self-defence and so the immune system can concentrate on creating a response to the viral proteins without interference by the virus.

Yes, that's what I meant. I should have been clearer: I wonder if mRNA makes side effects less likely because there is no actual virus present.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
it will be the first of its kind if it is approved, so guess we will find out! there are still a lot of unknowns with mRNA vaccine technologies

one of the big upsides is how easy it is to scale up production of this type of vaccine

I am certainly fascinated by be the notion of mRNA as universal platform for vaccine development. It appeals to the software engineer in me.

Last edited:

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Yes, that's what I meant. I should have been clearer: I wonder if mRNA makes side effects less likely because there is no actual virus present.

Ah. Yeah, I misunderstood.

They certainly have a lot of potential in theory. Plus as previously mentioned will be easier to scale manufacturing which is a huge deal in this situation.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

I can attest. I can give up the restaurants, entertainment, travel, etc. but the few weeks that they closed the State and Federal parks was rough.

Agreed, I've got a fairly active dog who enjoys trail walking/hikes but is not a fan of paved/greenways...trying to find places to go was damn near impossible

Reactions: hblueridgegal

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

I can attest. I can give up the restaurants, entertainment, travel, etc. but the few weeks that they closed the State and Federal parks was rough.

I'm literally standing in middle of a field of nettles. Good for me I guess.

edit: Wasn't perfect, went to stand in middle of a bush of rasberries.

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
And here's the rebuttal:

J.B. Handley’s unthinking person’s guide to the COVID-19 pandemic

The fact that Handley is an autism antivaxxer doesn't do much for his credibility.

Anyway, we'll know in a few weeks. Death rates are a trailing indicator of infection rates. If death rates go back up, we'll know that he's full of shit. If they don't, then maybe some of what he says has merit.

And now we know. This guy was, as many suspected, and despite his clever-sounding arguments, completely full of shit.

It's every person for themselves now. Wear a mask, be careful, wait until you can get a vaccine in 3-12 months, and take care of yourselves as best you can. The American government has failed us in this case.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 11.44.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 11.44.13 AM.png
    152.8 KB · Views: 3

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
And now we know. This guy was, as many suspected, and despite his clever-sounding arguments, completely full of shit.

It's every person for themselves now. Wear a mask, be careful, wait until you can get a vaccine in 3-12 months, and take care of yourselves as best you can. The American government has failed us in this case.
Never trust those in charge, regardless of who it is.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Had some symptoms so my mother made me promise to go to urgent care. They decided I need to get tested and now I’m under quarantine for 10 days. This is very strange and not fun. I don’t expect I have the virus but I guess it’s better to be safe.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Had some symptoms so my mother made me promise to go to urgent care. They decided I need to get tested and now I’m under quarantine for 10 days. This is very strange and not fun. I don’t expect I have the virus but I guess it’s better to be safe.

More time to argue on hockey boards!

Stay safe...

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
When do they expect the results back? Is it 10 days now, thus the duration of your quarantine? If so, that is awful. I had mine back in less than 24 hours back in May.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
When do they expect the results back? Is it 10 days now, thus the duration of your quarantine? If so, that is awful. I had mine back in less than 24 hours back in May.
They gave me a rapid test, which was negative, but because they aren’t super accurate they have to send the other one off which could be up to 8 business days. That could explain the 10 days? The test was not a pleasant experience. My nose will never be the same.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Tbh i don't think early 2021 is excessively optimistic. But it'll take months to produce, distribute and inject the vaccine to the point we could feasibly return to "normal".

Cases in NC are rising so expect Cooper to extend whatever phase we're in Sept. 11th.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Tbh i don't think early 2021 is excessively optimistic. But it'll take months to produce, distribute and inject the vaccine to the point we could feasibly return to "normal".

Cases in NC are rising so expect Cooper to extend whatever phase we're in Sept. 11th.

the distribution is going to be especially rough with some of the vaccine candidates, specifically the mRNA vaccines. i am pretty sure that these will have to be stored, distributed, and administered at very cold temperatures (pfizer's requires something around -90 C storage, iirc). i am a supply chain analyst for a biotech company. i can tell you from experience that cold chain, both 2-8C and freezer space (but especially freezer space), was already in high demand prior to covid-19. mRNA vaccines degrade rapidly as they warm (unlike drugs based on proteins or biosimilars), so they have very rigid storage requirements. unfortunately, this means that our typical processes for administering large numbers of doses of these vaccines will not work. most normal doctor's offices and pharmacies do not have the type of freezer storage to support dosing patients with these at any sort of scale, so they will have to find another way to handle that aspect. they will probably need to find a way to get people to hospitals or analytical labs to actually get the vaccine. this isn't even touching on the logistical nightmare that managing cold shipping/transport of this magnitude will be... but at least that is something that is already pretty routine.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
the distribution is going to be especially rough with some of the vaccine candidates, specifically the mRNA vaccines. i am pretty sure that these will have to be stored, distributed, and administered at very cold temperatures (pfizer's requires something around -90 C storage, iirc). i am a supply chain analyst for a biotech company. i can tell you from experience that cold chain, both 2-8C and freezer space (but especially freezer space), was already in high demand prior to covid-19. mRNA vaccines degrade rapidly as they warm (unlike drugs based on proteins or biosimilars), so they have very rigid storage requirements. unfortunately, this means that our typical processes for administering large numbers of doses of these vaccines will not work. most normal doctor's offices and pharmacies do not have the type of freezer storage to support dosing patients with these at any sort of scale, so they will have to find another way to handle that aspect. they will probably need to find a way to get people to hospitals or analytical labs to actually get the vaccine. this isn't even touching on the logistical nightmare that managing cold shipping/transport of this magnitude will be... but at least that is something that is already pretty routine.
The company I work for is a manufacturer of walk in coolers/freezers and cold rooms for pharmaceutical and biotech companies. I’ve worked on several cold rooms this summer.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

-90 is going to be a challenge given -80 seems like a pretty common target for lab-caliber freezers.

Even if -80 freezers are sufficient as you point out I doubt most offices have one or are going to buy a -80 if they don't have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad