OT: Coronavirus 3 - wait but Covid 19 is SARS-CoV-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Yes. Yes it is.

I'm just waiting to find out next that all the covid deaths were due to some pedo-pizza or some such nonsense.
Didn’t the initial report come straight from the CDC? I get that those with an angle will want to make their own biased arguments because of it ... but I think the genesis was the CDC.

Anyways...it’s getting better. This is good.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Didn’t the initial report come straight from the CDC? I get that those with an angle will want to make their own biased arguments because of it ... but I think the genesis was the CDC.

What "initial report" are you referring to?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

The table came from the CDC.

Table 3 in this report.

The conspiracy theory springs from a footnote in the table that stated that 6% of death certificates only listed Covid as a cause of death with no other contributing factors.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
What "initial report" are you referring to?
The information (the 6% number) is not a lie. It comes from somewhere, I’m assuming death certificates. What people do with the information is up to them, as it is with anything. There are a lot of stupid people in this world. You can’t fix all of them.

Reactions: DaveG

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
The information (the 6% number) is not a lie. It comes from somewhere, I’m assuming death certificates. What people do with the information is up to them, as it is with anything. There are a lot of stupid people in this world. You can’t fix all of them.

It is true that only 6% of the death certificates only listed COVID but that doesn't mean that only 6% of the deaths can be attributed to it.

That would be akin to saying only 6% of car wreck fatalaties occur at impact; the other 94% are due to collapsed lungs, hemorrhage, and various other injuries so shouldn't be counted as car wreck fatalities.

COVID-19 (or the car wreck in the above example) is still the underlying cause which caused/exacerbated the other comorbidities.

Edit: Not accusing @Sens1Canes2 of not understanding; just adding a continuation to his post.

Last edited:

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
It is true that only 6% of the death certificates only listed COVID but that doesn't mean that only 6% of the deaths can be attributed to it.

That would be akin to saying only 6% of car wreck fatalaties occur at impact; the other 94% are due to collapsed lungs, hemorrhage, and various other injuries so shouldn't be counted as car wreck fatalities.

COVID-19 (or the car wreck in the above example) is still the underlying cause which caused/exacerbated the other comorbidities.
Yes. I agree. I never indicated otherwise.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
And, due to the current administration's directives ..we now have this which may have implications in the long term.

Poll: Most Americans believe the Covid-19 vaccine approval process is driven by politics, not science
from STAT .

Seventy-eight percent of Americans worry the Covid-19 vaccine approval process is being driven more by politics than science, according to a new survey from STAT and the Harris Poll, a reflection of concern that the Trump administration may give the green light to a vaccine prematurely. The response was largely bipartisan, with 72% of Republicans and 82% of Democrats expressing such worries, according to the poll, which was conducted last week and surveyed 2,067 American adults.

The sentiment underscores rising speculation that President Trump may pressure the Food and Drug Administration to approve or authorize emergency use of at least one Covid-19 vaccine prior to the Nov. 3 election, but before testing has been fully completed.
In fact, his remarks over the past several months have stirred debate and anxiety over the extent to which certain FDA decisions may be politicized. In the process, the agency’s scientific integrity has been questioned and FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn, a political appointee who took the job earlier this year, has faced mounting criticism.

Reactions: MinJaBen

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Yes. I agree. I never indicated otherwise.

Yep, I wasn't trying to indicate otherwise. Was just posting a continuation to your post that the 6% number itself isn't a lie, it's just being misinterpreted. Apologies if I wasn't clear.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
@Boom Boom Apathy @bleedgreen

That was one of the things that genuinely confused me when I was visiting. All the pastry was sweet. Our everyday bread, buns, and this https://static.kosik.cz/images/thumbs/59/860x800x1_598f57689393cf238340a14abd256801.jpg aren't sweet unless we smash some honey or jam on it.

Also, that thing on the pic? You are missing out. Imagine something the size of a croissant, that doesn't give you diabetes.
I have a horrible sweet tooth so it’s a daily struggle for me. When you cut out all the processed foods and avoid our sugar, when you go back and taste it again it’s horrible. You have to actually get used to it again. It’s everywhere and our sliced white bread typically is awful.

It’s hard work to cut the sugar our own country feeds us out if your diet. If you’re struggling financially and spend the money you have on fast food you’re in trouble. A lot of our country lives on that crap.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The most popular “healthy” lunch for kids at school is a sandwich made of two ingredients that each would be considered “sweets” if eaten on a spoon on their own.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Interesting research into a possible link/explanation for all the weird COVID-19 symptoms.

Medium
Very interesting read. Before this, I’d never heard of any bradykinin except for cousin Oliver.

If this hypothesis does indeed prove valid, it should allow for better treatments, as the article discusses.

amazing that even with the massive processing power of Summit, it still took more than a week to crunch all the data.

Reactions: MinJaBen

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
OUR COUNTRY IS LED BY BUNCH OF INCOMPETENT FU^KS AND CORRUPT ^UNTS.

Lies and ineptitude completely squandered any sort of edge we have gained in the spring.

Tracing is trash. For government statements to gain any value you have to wait two days, because they are likely to be negates.

THAT’S WHAT WE FU^KING GET WHEN WE’RE LED BY AN OLIGARCH WITH NO IDEOLOGY BUT AN URGE TO REMAIN IN POWER.

Have a nice day everyone. And many days after it.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
OUR COUNTRY IS LED BY BUNCH OF INCOMPETENT FU^KS AND CORRUPT ^UNTS.

Lies and ineptitude completely squandered any sort of edge we have gained in the spring.

Tracing is trash. For government statements to gain any value you have to wait two days, because they are likely to be negates.

THAT’S WHAT WE FU^KING GET WHEN WE’RE LED BY AN OLIGARCH WITH NO IDEOLOGY BUT AN URGE TO REMAIN IN POWER.

Have a nice day everyone. And many days after it.
Wait a second I didn’t know you lived in the US

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
I read today that ECU has hit 1000 positive cases for Covid 19. The story doesn’t give context in terms of how many tests were done. According to the dashboard, there were just over 5000 tests done so an 18.4% positive rate.

ECU hits 1,000 COVID cases among students :: WRAL.com

On last week's Wharton Moneyball Podcast, they discussed the high case numbers getting reported at college campuses.

One of the Profs claimed a high rate of false positive testing from the PCR test because of it's level of sensitivity...false positive in the sense that the test reads positive because it actually detects a small amount of the virus, but the individual is completely asymptomatic and not infectious.

Some more thought needs to go into how to make sense of test results in these situations...and what are the appropriate/logical reactions from college administrators.

On the same podcast, they discussed the new test from Abbott Labs...$15 / results in 5 minutes / linked to an app to act as a virus passport of sorts.

Last edited:

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Few important notes.

Our PM is not just rich. He’s second richest person in the country who owns one of the biggest press publishers, has big money in agriculture and chemistry.

So on our scale he has much more power.

Also he has smaller ego than Trump, but he’s a lot greedier.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
On last week's Wharton Moneyball Podcast, they discussed the high case numbers getting reported at college campuses.

One of the Profs claimed a high rate of false positive testing from the PCR test because of it's level of sensitivity...false positive in the sense that the test reads positive because it actually detects a small amount of the virus, but the individual is completely asymptomatic and not infectious.

Some more thought needs to go into how to make sense of test results in these situations...and what are the appropriate/logical reactions from college administrators.

On the same podcast, they discussed the new test from Abbott Labs...$15 / results in 5 minutes / linked to an app to act as a virus passport of sorts.

While they may not be symptomatic, there's a major question about when an asymptomatic person is infectious, and whether a person with a low viral count can become asymptomatic and infectious.

You still need to quarantine all of them, because we don't know which ones or how many will become infectious, with or without symptoms.

Reactions: A Star is Burns
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad