OT: Coronavirus 3 - wait but Covid 19 is SARS-CoV-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Just furthers the narrative that no one really knows what is going on.

everyone is right and wrong at the same time. Makes arguing about it more fun though. You can’t win but more importantly you can’t lose.

Edit: as the Buffalo Springfield song goes “nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong.”

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

everyone is right and wrong at the same time. Makes arguing about it more fun though. You can’t win but more importantly you can’t lose.

The intersection of how science works, the lack of precision in writing (especially in journalism these days), and the social media hot takes makes for some interesting times.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Edit: as the Buffalo Springfield song goes “nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong.”
Father, father
We don't need to escalate

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
The intersection of how science works, the lack of precision in writing (especially in journalism these days), and the social media hot takes makes for some interesting times.
well if theres isnt a second wave after the protests then covid was a overblown attack on the weak minded

Reactions: Primetime8

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
well if theres isnt a second wave after the protests then covid was a overblown attack on the weak minded
Cmon man. Even if it wasn’t what many thought it would be it was an obvious thing to be concerned about enough to shut it down. Nobody understood it and had any idea how to handle it, the only thing we knew was we were underprepared.....which was absolutely correct. It’s easy to poke holes in something like this after, but I saw it all first hand and up close. This happened. It was real. New cases are still developing right now, though at a far slower pace where I am.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
FYI:

Hi Everyone,

Not much change from last time in trends.

US Cases

· The number of new reported cases in the US outside of NY continues to decline slowly (Fig. 1; P = 0.0074 after day 50).
· The number of new tests in the US outside of NY continues to increase linearly (Fig. 2). As of yesterday there have been approximately 20 million tests performed in the US.
· The number of new cases per test also continues to decrease (Fig. 3), albeit slowly (P = 0.0113 after day 71), suggesting that the actual number of new cases per day is also slowly declining.
· The cumulative number of new cases per test still fits a modified logistic well (Fig. 4)
· Extrapolation from this fit suggests that most of the infections associated with the first wave will have occurred by about day 100 (8 June—yesterday). Specifically, for the US outside of NY, on days 99, 129, and 169 (7 June, 7July, and 16 Aug, respectively—these dates are 1-2 days later than projected last time), 95%, 99%, and 99.9% of the total infections during the first wave of the virus will have occurred. On these dates, the minimum number of infections yet to come are 85,753, 17,954, and 2,152. On days 129 and 169, the expected minimum number of new cases will be 972 and 118.

US Deaths
· US deaths outside of NY continue their linear decline (Fig. 6)
· Projecting this trend, the day at which 0 new deaths is achieved will be day 137 (15 July), though given the error of estimation, it could be as late as day 204 (20 September). The latter date is quite a bit earlier than the November date projected previously, which is due to the additional data points we now have. Certainly an excellent trend.

Fig 1

Fig 2

Fig 3 Fig 4

Fig 5 Fig 6
NC Cases

· We’re seeing a return of the virus to NC. The number of new reported cases per day continues to increase linearly in North Carolina (Fig. 7).
· Ominously, the number of new cases per test seems also be increasing over the past three weeks (Fig. 8; linear trend after day 73, P = 0.0009). We’ll need to keep an eye on this to see if the actual number of new cases continues to rise.

NC Deaths

· As might be expected from the small sample size, the number of new deaths per day in NC is very volatile (Fig. 9). We’ve seen some large spikes in the last 10 days, but the trend at this point is not significantly different from flat. That is not good news, though, since there is no sign of it declining. If the number of new cases is actually climbing, we will expect the number of new deaths also to begin rising in the next week or two.

Fig 7

Fig 8

Fig 9
Conclusions

Things are looking good for the US as a whole. The number of new cases per test continues to decline, with an indication that we have already passed the point at which 95% of the new cases have occurred. Similarly, new deaths are declining steadily, with the 0-death day projected to be in just a little over a month, assuming the current trend continues. Of course, that is a big assumption.

As was true last time, however, North Carolina seems to be going against this trend. There as actually been an apparent increase in new cases per test over the last three weeks, which portends a second wave of infections. New deaths also show no sign of decreasing. Both of these trends suggest that NC will be suffering from the virus substantially longer than the US as a whole. So be careful, and consider continuing your social distancing as much as possible.

Stay safe!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Cmon man. Even if it wasn’t what many thought it would be it was an obvious thing to be concerned about enough to shut it down. Nobody understood it and had any idea how to handle it, the only thing we knew was we were underprepared.....which was absolutely correct. It’s easy to poke holes in something like this after, but I saw it all first hand and up close. This happened. It was real. New cases are still developing right now, though at a far slower pace where I am.

Exactly. And in some ways it WAS what many thought it would be, just not everywhere as population density certainly matters. US has had over 100,000 deaths attributed to Covid19. Some don't believe the numbers, but look at a place like NYC. The city averages about 55,000 deaths / year. If you ignore cause of death all together, NYC had over 32,000 deaths from March 11-May 2nd, so just under 2 months they had almost 60% of the number of deaths they usually have annually. It was ~24,000 more than what would be projected without covid 19, suggesting that the true number of covid 19 deaths were probably undercounted.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Exactly. And in some ways it WAS what many thought it would be, just not everywhere as population density certainly matters. US has had over 100,000 deaths attributed to Covid19. Some don't believe the numbers, but look at a place like NYC. The city averages about 55,000 deaths / year. If you ignore cause of death all together, NYC had over 32,000 deaths from March 11-May 2nd, so just under 2 months they had almost 60% of the number of deaths they usually have annually. It was ~24,000 more than what would be projected without covid 19, suggesting that the true number of covid 19 deaths were probably undercounted.
To me it’s become a political argument about the numbers that is frustrating, and it seemed every day we were being told something different which made a lot of people question what was going on so I understand the frustration. It was tough to get your head around so I’m glad I do what I do. I got to see that it was real, and that justifies a lot of it to me. It wasn’t faked and as long as really anyone was dying from this it deserved a strong response. It’s hard to argue that what we did didn’t flatten the curve as hoped, though you can always argue it worked because it wasn’t that big of a deal if you’re on the other side of the argument.

I only get upset when people disrespect the lives lost. A guy I went to college with died from it....in his 40’s. He had just gotten remarried and seemed pretty full of life and generally healthy. It wasn’t just grandparents in the end.

It’s also easy for me to defend because I didn’t lose my job or any pay, and the only real inconvenience I faced was waiting in line at Home Depot. I went backcountry skiing twice a week waving at other skiers a football field away. This was not nearly as tough on me as it was on others in terms of home life. I was up to my eyeballs in it at work of course.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Whether you are actively trying to improve your already stellar reputation at The Shed or not, you are doing just that.
Knew you would get it, and now I feel bad for botching the quote:

"May you live in interesting times" is the actual wording of the old Chinese curse that every Englishman knows but not so the actual Chinese.

And I can't believe I can't find a Brit newspaper headline addressing PM May with a "May, you live in interesting times".

Found this though:

4SFbxEn.jpg

(published in Nov 29, 1995)

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The EU GDPR has got me perma-banned from most US news sites.

Most of the time I can survive but damn if I now don't want to know more about their impromptu prom. Was there any promiscuity or where they promise ring gang going wild, but not too wild?

Didn't provide many details other than impromptu prom at an outdoor venue followed by beach party.

Reactions: Lempo

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
The EU GDPR has got me perma-banned from most US news sites.

Most of the time I can survive but damn if I now don't want to know more about their impromptu prom. Was there any promiscuity or where they promise ring gang going wild, but not too wild?

Basically, girls gone Mild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad