OT: Coronavirus 3 - wait but Covid 19 is SARS-CoV-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
It sounds like an episode of Outer Banks on Netflix that I watched in desperation thinking the scenery would at least be nice escapism. Turns out it is filmed in Charleston.

I miss the outdoor summer concerts and musical festivals the most. In Asheville some bands are having shows with fans in their cars or on tailgates drive-in style.

Reactions: MinJaBen

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I am studying for an exam from Internal Medicine, which means my life is almost the same. Sitting on my ass. Sitting on my ass. Occasional training. Sitting on my ass.

Not to mention I am at mom’s place which is at the very end of a very small village (cca 200).

Compared to the sitch’ most of US is in... can’t complain.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
It sounds like an episode of Outer Banks on Netflix that I watched in desperation thinking the scenery would at least be nice escapism. Turns out it is filmed in Charleston.

I miss the outdoor summer concerts and musical festivals the most. In Asheville some bands are having shows with fans in their cars or on tailgates drive-in style.
I haven’t watched it (and don’t plan to) but a friend shared an article on Facebook after the show released. Apparently in one of the episodes the characters take a ferry from the Outer Banks to Chapel Hill? I got a good chuckle out of that.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Outer Banks was only filmed in Charleston because of the film industry's response to North Carolina's HB2 bill. Well that and Charleston has become a small hot spot for production itself (all of Danny McBride's recent projects were filmed here, along with several other projects).

North Carolina is usually 10x more progressive than South Carolina in many aspects so I thought it was kind of weird to move it from there to here of all places if your primary concern is social justice but what do I know

Reactions: DaveG

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Outer Banks was only filmed in Charleston because of the film industry's response to North Carolina's HB2 bill. Well that and Charleston has become a small hot spot for production itself (all of Danny McBride's recent projects were filmed here, along with several other projects).

North Carolina is usually 10x more progressive than South Carolina in many aspects so I thought it was kind of weird to move it from there to here of all places if your primary concern is social justice but what do I know
The Republican legislature slashed incentives for film/tv production. Wilmington was a hot spot. Too many people in the industry are liberal and thus vote Democratic.

Reactions: skipnjump

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I watched Outer Banks. That’s how bad my tv watching got. I watched that and “The Core”. That’s really bad. Even worse when you take into account I’d actually already watched that movie when it came out in the first place. I knew it was awful and I watched again anyways.

With Outer Banks, having even his best friends and authority figures calling him “John B” instead of just “John” at least occasionally made me want to hit them with hammers. There’s no other John’s in the room, there’s no need to clarify which John you’re referring to.If this is a southern thing and I’ve offended I apologize for my northeastern ignorance.

I’m a John. If it helps understand my confusion.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I watched Outer Banks. That’s how bad my tv watching got. I watched that and “The Core”. That’s really bad. Even worse when you take into account I’d actually already watched that movie when it came out in the first place. I knew it was awful and I watched again anyways.

With Outer Banks, having even his best friends and authority figures calling him “John B” instead of just “John” at least occasionally made me want to hit them with hammers. There’s no other John’s in the room, there’s no need to clarify which John you’re referring to.If this is a southern thing and I’ve offended I apologize for my northeastern ignorance.

I am also a John, have not watched Outer Banks, and now I don’t want to watch it. I do love to visit them though. Ocracoke Island is one of my favorite places I’ve been.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Preliminary, but seems to indicate that infections produce a wildly varying level of later protection that may correlate with severity of symptoms. Pretty much blows the idea of allowing a naturally acquired herd immunity to develop as a solution.....Sweden.

Antibody testing suggests immune response post-COVID is very variable

The second thing is that SARS-CoV-2 infection isn't necessarily producing a robust immunity. We don't really know what levels of neutralizing antibodies are actually protective, but it's clear that a lot of people don't produce many of them after an infection. Which means any plans for generating herd immunity by allowing a controlled level of infection have to be viewed with extreme skepticism at this point. And vaccine developers will need to ensure that the infections produce a consistently high-level response that includes neutralizing antibodies.

Reactions: DaveG

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
2861C977-834D-419F-9561-D618A8D8FCB3.jpeg

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Preliminary, but seems to indicate that infections produce a wildly varying level of later protection that may correlate with severity of symptoms. Pretty much blows the idea of allowing a naturally acquired herd immunity to develop as a solution.....Sweden.

Some good info below on variance in immune response to covid-19...you can look in the show notes for links to particular topics of interest.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Our press is making a thing of Trump's camp wanting a legal release from the registered goers to the campaign rallies to not sue the campaign if they get the coronavirus there... Am I wrong if I assume that this is a normal fare and standard policy and contractual term in the US nowadays wherever there is a mass gathering being organized to take place? I have hard time seeing how someone's lawyer would not insist on covering their own asses by addressing the possibility of contracting the virus (and requiring the waiver) in the terms of a standardized contract terms.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

I am also a John, have not watched Outer Banks, and now I don’t want to watch it. I do love to visit them though. Ocracoke Island is one of my favorite places I’ve been.

One Steve Limit - TV Tropes

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Our press is making a thing of Trump's camp wanting a legal release from the registered goers to the campaign rallies to not sue the campaign if they get the coronavirus there... Am I wrong if I assume that this is a normal fare and standard policy and contractual term in the US nowadays wherever there is a mass gathering being organized to take place? I have hard time seeing how someone's lawyer would not insist on covering their own asses by addressing the possibility of contracting the virus (and requiring the waiver) in the terms of a standardized contract terms.

The actual issue here is that it's the height of narcissism to be having a rally with thousands of people in an enclosed space when professional sports teams aren't yet able to do that. The contract is just the cherry on the top of that bullshit sundae.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014

There's a lot of litigation in the US relative to the rest of the world...we have lots of lawyers and people suing each other, corporations, the gov't, etc. Therefore release forms are very prevalent. For the foreseeable future I believe release forms with covid verbiage will be the norm. It will not unique to Repub convention...just had a coworker tell me he had to sign a covid release form for something involving one of his kids.

Reactions: Lempo and DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The actual issue here is that it's the height of narcissism to be having a rally with thousands of people in an enclosed space when professional sports teams aren't yet able to do that. The contract is just the cherry on the top of that bullshit sundae.
But if he went and banned all gatherings and brought national guard to enforce it, that would be bad too.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
But if he went and banned all gatherings and brought national guard to enforce it, that would be bad too.
Hey, no one's saying it's illegal.

It's perfectly legal to invite a bunch of people to your political rally in a pandemic time when other, more sensible organizations have decided that it would be unsafe and unwise to hold such gatherings.

It's perfectly legal to show your disregard of those people, your supporters, by packing them together in disregard of social distancing guidelines ("no empty seats!" he tweets) and forcing them to sign disclaimers shielding yourself from liability in case they get sick.

It's perfectly legal to say "hey, it's their choice." Because it is.

It's all perfectly "legal", because as the President well knows, everything is legal unless and until you get convicted or successfully sued for it. Stiffing contractors by the thousands. Starting a fake university to scam people out of their money. Running a charity as a slush fund. Telling tens of thousands of obvious lies, as the President of the most powerful nation on Earth, to dilute even the notion of truth itself.

Despicable, but "legal". Roy Cohn would be proud.

Last edited:

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Hey, no one's saying it's illegal.

It's perfectly legal to invite a bunch of people to your political rally in a pandemic time when other, more sensible organizations have decided that it would be unsafe and unwise to hold such gatherings.

It's perfectly legal to show your disregard of those people, your supporters, by packing them together in disregard of social distancing guidelines ("no empty seats!" he tweets) and forcing them to sign disclaimers shielding yourself from liability in case they get sick.

It's perfectly legal to say "hey, it's their choice." Because it is.

It's all perfectly "legal", because as the President well knows, everything is legal unless and until you get convicted or successfully sued for it. Stiffing contractors by the thousands. Starting a fake university to scam people out of their money. Running a charity as a slush fund. Telling tens of thousands of obvious lies, as the President of the most powerful nation on Earth, to dilute even the notion of truth itself.

Despicable, but "legal". Roy Cohn would be proud.

Law and Justice are not only separable, but sometimes very exclusive.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
So 2 Great Clips employees had COVID, everyone (themselves included) wearing masks, nobody they interacted with got COVID (approx 140 people) so far. So masks are way more effective than initially thought? Is social distancing less of a factor? Were they asymptomatic so it is indeed difficult to transmit when asymptomatic? The more we learn, the less we know. But of course this revalation is occurring while hospitalizations and cases are increasing in NC...though so is testing (are we still around 7% positive?). This is one hell of a roller coaster, we have a new twist or turn seemingly every day. I also haven't heard much on the treatment or vaccine front the past few weeks.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Frustrating. Masks are one of those protective measures that are relatively easy to take and can have a potentially large impact. Even in the absence of conclusive evidence, it seems like sensible public policy to mandate masks widely and monitor the results. Worst case, the results are negligible or inclusive. Best case, we see dramatic improvement and can potentially reopen more/faster/more safely as a result. I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad