Prospect Info: Conor Timmins - D [32nd overall]

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
If he could turn out as good as Slavin I'd be one happy man considering the fact you have Makar coming up and the possibility of drafting a top dman in the 2018 draft.

It'll be interesting to see who is up on the Avs first : Timmins or Makar.

I wouldn't get my hopes up if you're expecting a Slavin level player.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
but did Slavin ever had these types of skating issues?

No, his skating was touted as one of his better attributes.

Maybe it's a bad comparable, but the Avs drafted a young forward in the 2nd round of the 2005 draft with known skating issues by the name of Paul Stastny. I've been told he worked hard to improve his skating before making it to the NHL, but really, he was able to compensate for it by just knowing where to be (Ryan O'Reilly does this as well). If Conor has good hockey sense, and I believe he does, then I'm not too worried about the skating. There are a lot of good, sometimes even elite players (not calling Conor elite mind you) throughout NHL history whose skating ranged from mediocre to bad. I'm not expecting Timmins to be a surefire prospect--he's a project but a worthy one who hopefully blossoms into a top-four guy.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Is there a reason why Slavin's name keep popping in this thread? We don't expect Timmins to become a #1 defenseman do we?

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
It's much, much more difficult to be a defensemen with below mediocre skating than it is to be a forward in today's NHL though.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's much, much more difficult to be a defensemen with below mediocre skating than it is to be a forward in today's NHL though.

I wouldn't call his skating THAT bad, honestly. It's not going to cut it in the NHL at this moment, but it's not fundamentally awful nor is it unfixable. He has time to straighten that out, and there's no reason to panic about that yet. He seems to have sufficient work ethic to have a good shot at getting it up to an acceptable level.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Does Timmins have the ceiling to be a #1D?
I'm not certain he does. If his skating improves to "above average" then he has a shot at it given all his other tools. But without really, really good mobility you need to be elite at something else to make up for that. Top pair, sure, I always thought he had that ceiling, but a lot would have to go right to reach 1D status.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If I understand the ELC rules correctly, Timmins' side would've wanted to wait until the calendar turned to 2018 to sign and now that it has, the Avs should be able to sign him at any time, right?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Unfortunately, we are miles away from restocking our cupboards. So every pick has to be a home run. And be a standout in every showcase.
Once we actually have a drool worthy prospect base we can chill out a bit

until then it's white knuckle time
How about now.

And there's a misspelling there.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If I understand the ELC rules correctly, Timmins' side would've wanted to wait until the calendar turned to 2018 to sign and now that it has, the Avs should be able to sign him at any time, right?

I believe it was the AVs that delayed the offer.

The extra year pushes his ELC eligibility. It also delays becoming an UFA further by the additional year. It might not seem right, but this keeps the player under team control a little longer.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I believe it was the AVs that delayed the offer.

The extra year pushes his ELC eligibility. It also delays becoming an UFA further by the additional year. It might not seem right, but this keeps the player under team control a little longer.

It was he who chose not to sign because having it done in 2017 benefits the team. There's a specific rule about signing an ELC in the calendar year in which the player turns 20 does not make it slide eligible. But the rule is also that a players age is determined on September 15th for the season. Timmins' birthday is a couple days later so had he signed in 2017 it would have given him essentially a 4 year ELC. He and his agent know this and that's why he didn't sign. He's going to have to wait until March 1 now because signing between now and then would actually burn a year. If his camp gets the Avs to do that then they really have them by the balls but I gather it will fall into the Avs standard signing procedure of after March 1.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
It was he who chose not to sign because having it done in 2017 benefits the team. There's a specific rule about signing an ELC in the calendar year in which the player turns 20 does not make it slide eligible. But the rule is also that a players age is determined on September 15th for the season. Timmins' birthday is a couple days later so had he signed in 2017 it would have given him essentially a 4 year ELC. He and his agent know this and that's why he didn't sign. He's going to have to wait until March 1 now because signing between now and then would actually burn a year. If his camp gets the Avs to do that then they really have them by the balls but I gather it will fall into the Avs standard signing procedure of after March 1.

Thanks for the information and still confused. Watching the WJC, the TSN Commentators insinuated the AVs delayed offering Timmins an ELC.

I still don’t understand why he doesn’t sign? If he signed in 2017, his ELC is 4 years. Delay signing until 2018, won’t it be the normal 3 years, but he plays without any income and risks serious injury? So he would still reach the same point if he signed in 2017 or 2018?

Please help unless the 2018 ELC is for 2 years?

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Thanks for the information and still confused. Watching the WJC, the TSN Commentators insinuated the AVs delayed offering Timmins an ELC.

I still don’t understand why he doesn’t sign? If he signed in 2017, his ELC is 4 years. Delay signing until 2018, won’t it be the normal 3 years, but he plays without any income and risks serious injury? So he would still reach the same point if he signed in 2017 or 2018?

I believe it's 3 years either way , still lots of time to sign him.

Curious question, how many contracts do the Avs have signed now ?

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

It is confusing, a lot of specific rules. On TSN they didn't state it correctly, it's not that the Avs delayed the offer, Timmins delayed in accepting it. But what they said helped us understand what's going on that there was a delay on purpose.

If he signed in 2017 then the Avs could call his season next year his 19 year old year and they could keep him in the AHL all year to get another year out of his contract. This is what was done with Mikko, he ends up with a 4 year ELC because he played in the AHL on that 19 year old contract year that slid.

If Timmins signs after March 1 yeah it will be just a normal 3 year ELC, no differences.

Reactions: Patagonia

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
It is confusing, a lot of specific rules. On TSN they didn't state it correctly, it's not that the Avs delayed the offer, Timmins delayed in accepting it. But what they said helped us understand what's going on that there was a delay on purpose.

If he signed in 2017 then the Avs could call his season next year his 19 year old year and they could keep him in the AHL all year to get another year out of his contract. This is what was done with Mikko, he ends up with a 4 year ELC because he played in the AHL on that 19 year old contract year that slid.

If Timmins signs after March 1 yeah it will be just a normal 3 year ELC, no differences.
Ahh right , thanks for the info

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1