Prospect Info: Conor Timmins - D [32nd overall]

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Stylistically he reminds me a lot more of Jaccob Slavin than Schultz. His high IQ, along with his elite passing, and calmness under pressure really set him apart. Slavin was a better defender at the time, but Timmins is a better puck mover and in the transition game than Slavin was at the same age.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not gunna lie, the Schultz comparisons don't really thrill me.
Like every human is different, Timmins differs slightly to Justin.

If you want me to go into the details...

Conor is better defencively and has more of a mean streak as Brock reports, but doesn't have the high offensive ceiling that Justin has. Timmins has an underrated shot, but won't come close to Schultz who has a laserbeam. I give Timmins the edge on passing and decision-making, while Schultz is a better skater. However both should be similar in playing styles once Timmins works on his weaknesses.

Justin Schultz has looked like a hockey player again ever since being traded.
Agreed.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Stylistically he reminds me a lot more of Jaccob Slavin than Schultz. His high IQ, along with his elite passing, and calmness under pressure really set him apart. Slavin was a better defender at the time, but Timmins is a better puck mover and in the transition game than Slavin was at the same age.

Slavin was a very late 4th rounder, I don't think he was better at the time than Timmins is today.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Like every human is different, Timmins differs slightly to Justin.

If you want me to go into the details...

Conor is better defencively and has more of a mean streak as Brock reports, but doesn't have the high offensive ceiling that Justin has. Timmins has an underrated shot, but won't come close to Schultz who has a laserbeam. I give Timmins the edge on passing and decision-making, while Schultz is a better skater. However both should be similar in playing styles once Timmins works on his weaknesses.

Agreed.

Appreciate the insight guys.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Appreciate the insight guys.

My parents had season tickets to CC games and I would go all the time. I don't think I've seen a similar player to Slavin as I have in Timmins. Honestly I thought he was going top-15. IMO he's better than Foote and exactly the type of dman the Avs need. He might never be a 50-60 point guy, but his all-around game in incredible. I honestly think his floor is a top-4 dman. He's that good! His IQ is off the charts and his dedication is incredible. One of my buddies moved to Ontario last year and attended Greyhounds games on the regular and said the fans around him thought he was one of their best dman ever. If everything goes right in his further development, he can be a legit top-pair guy.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
If that is in fact true, it may turn to be blessing. Strangely enough, it may have also worked out to the Avs long term advantage to lose the lottery. Obviously that remains to be seen.

I doubt if we had landed a D man in a Duchene or Landeskog trade that Sakic would have taken a D man #4.

I think this situation forced him to realize that his own words from years ago are true. People are not giving away top 4 D men and they are hard to acquire.

You say that, but why has Carolina had so much trouble doing exactly that so far?

You have to actually and actively desire to move assets to turn those assets into players that help the team at other positions.

Carolina doesn't want to trade their top assets but they want other teams best players for less.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I doubt if we had landed a D man in a Duchene or Landeskog trade that Sakic would have taken a D man #4.

I think this situation forced him to realize that his own words from years ago are true. People are not giving away top 4 D men and they are hard to acquire.

You have to actually and actively desire to move assets to turn those assets into players that help the team at other positions.

Carolina doesn't want to trade their top assets but they want other teams best players for less.

Just like the Islanders offer of Hammer and 1st round pick. Its just no good enough. I know wonder if Sakic will take Isles 2 first rounders from 2018, 2nd rounder and some kind of prospect to relieve a little bit of Isles cap space.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Just like the Islanders offer of Hammer and 1st round pick. Its just no good enough. I know wonder if Sakic will take Isles 2 first rounders from 2018, 2nd rounder and some kind of prospect to relieve a little bit of Isles cap space.

Agreed, there has to be a high value or multiple high value assets coming back to move a Duchene level guy. Hammer and a 1st or 2 was not worth it.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I watched this kid play over 50+ games this year because i am a season ticket holder , If hes not a top 4 Dman i don't know what is he can do it all , skate , hit , shoot , play physical you guys got an amazing player i was hoping the leafs took him at 17! . best of luck you lucky #$%^ers

Reactions: LTC Pain

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Round 2

Conor Timmins, Colorado Avalanche.

For me, Conor Timmins is a first-rounder all day and all night, but he slipped into the second round. Good on Joe Sakic to recognize that the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds defenceman was not going to last deep into the round and pounced. Timmins worked on his skating with renowned instructor Dawn Braid and his fast-twitch muscle reaction � plus his overall athleticism � with track coach Andre Metivier and it has paid off. The Greyhounds man is a point-producing defender who has the makings of a longtime NHL pro. Between Timmins and Cale Makar, the Avalanche did their organization�s blue line depth a world of good in this draft.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jeff-mareks-favourite-radar-picks-2017-nhl-draft/

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Watched him for the first time today in a game from November. From the sounds of things around here it seems like he had a poor showing at the WJC showcase but I don't understand the worries about his skating. It's not like he is the most dynamic skater but it didn't stand out at all or limit his game whatsoever in the game I saw.

Seems like he's got a high hockey IQ knowing when to jump into the rush and is a really good passer, making crisp feeds through traffic and hitting the tape almost every time. He also played a lot on the left side, and was used in all situations which I thought was impressive as a draft eligible Dman on a deep team. He didn't look out of place on the left side so could be an option when he transitions to the NHL. I think he max's out as a solid #3 puck mover, but I will have to watch more of him. Either way, looks like a solid player and people shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions.

Reactions: LTC Pain

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Unfortunately, we are miles away from restocking our cupboards. So every pick has to be a home run. And be a standout in every showcase.
Once we actually have a drool worthy prospect base we can chill out a bit

until then it's white knuckle time

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Unfortunately, we are miles away from restocking our cupboards. So every pick has to be a home run. And be a standout in every showcase.
Once we actually have a drool worthy prospect base we can chill out a bit

until then it's white knuckle time

Oh I think even then it'll still be white-knuckle time. :laugh: There are currently two Calder winners on the roster and they're still wondering if those were the right picks (not calling anyone out, I too have been one of those who wondered). It'll be a good, long time before anyone breathes a sigh of relief.

Regardless, there's quite a bit riding on the development of both Makar and Timmins.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
If he could turn out as good as Slavin I'd be one happy man considering the fact you have Makar coming up and the possibility of drafting a top dman in the 2018 draft.

It'll be interesting to see who is up on the Avs first : Timmins or Makar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad