Prospect Info: Conor Timmins - D [32nd overall]

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
They used their best 2 picks to draft the best defensemen on their list, which should be their motto for the next 2 drafts.

We already have Zadorov, Bigras and Mironov. We just drafted Makar and Timmins. And you want to use our top 4 picks over the next two years on more Dmen? That's massive overkill.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We already have Zadorov, Bigras and Mironov. We just drafted Makar and Timmins. And you want to use our top 4 picks over the next two years on more Dmen? That's massive overkill.

Maybe not the next 4 but at least two. We have no potential top pairing LHD still. That's kind of a big deal.

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland

unless we can grab dahlin :laugh:

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
They used their best 2 picks to draft the best defensemen on their list, which should be their motto for the next 2 drafts.

That's only because they were BPA. We could have come out of this draft with two forwards as our first two picks. If Makar and Heiskanen were gone, we'd draft one of Hischier or Patrick. If Kostin was still up, we'd have drafted him. I believe they'll continue to draft BPA.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I'm fine with this pick at 32. He's got some decent potential and good size, he'll have to round out his game some more and hope his offence can translate.

It's quite amusing though that this is the draft where they choose to address their needs at D, one of the weakest drafts in recent years. They better focus heavily on D next year as well. Build up the stable, you can NEVER have too many young D projects.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Those who know more about him, do you agree with benders reports that he has top pairing potential? If so that would be pretty awesome to add him and makar to the system

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Those who know more about him, do you agree with benders reports that he has top pairing potential? If so that would be pretty awesome to add him and makar to the system

Button says top 4 and compares him to Chris Tanev. :dunno:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Preferred Hague - LHD, but he is a better skater and provides more offense. Like the pick!

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Great pick, his progress last season was by leaps and bounds. Hopefully it is both sustainable and going to continue!

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a surplus of quality D. If the time ever comes in which the Avs are at excess (like that would ever happen), someone will pay a premium.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a surplus of quality D. If the time ever comes in which the Avs are at excess (like that would ever happen), someone will pay a premium.

You say that, but why has Carolina had so much trouble doing exactly that so far?

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
You say that, but why has Carolina had so much trouble doing exactly that so far?

Carolina doesn't want to trade any of their big 4, it's just that they CAN if they want to and one of their prospects pushes for a top-4 slot. They're in an amazing position, all of their top-4 are under 25.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

Many of Carolina D's are still prospects, Nashville is the much better example here. SOme got traded from Nashville, other went as UFA's, but they seem to always have the cubbard's full, so new D just take the spots.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
So happy with this pick. I wanted the Avs to get an extra 1st so they could draft this guy. I would have like Kostin but now I am glad he was picked before us because now the Avs have another great D prospect. I don't have a problem with the Avs being heavy on one side. You draft the best D regardless of the side especially the right side as they are always a premium. It is easier to trade a RHD for a LHD than the other way around.

His skating report is really weird on this guy. the reports are anywhere from very good skater to need work.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Makar
Meloche
Timmins
Mironov / Clurman

If the team can develop the talent we now have, the right side of our d should be set even after EJ & Barrie are gone.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Really stoked about him.

Not very good defensively as he waits for the play to die instead of being the catalyst, but defensive game is teachable. What you cannot teach is his vision and hockey intelligence. Very good on the powerplay and has a fantastic passing game offensively. Not really a pass first defender, he would much rather rush the puck up the ice similar to Tyson Barrie.

Has an underrated shot where I think we'll see his goal total double once he gets more opportunities, especially on the powerplay.

Still quite lanky, though has an underrated mean streak, but isn't very physical and needs to be a little more competitive when he doesn't have the puck. Not a truly terrible skater, but needs to work on his first couple of steps for straight line speed. Once he gets that higher, he should be more dominant when he has the puck.

Picture someone like Justin Schultz. Those are my two cents.

Makar
Meloche
Timmins
Mironov / Clurman

If the team can develop the talent we now have, the right side of our d should be set even after EJ & Barrie are gone.
Timmins has more offencive potential and just overall tools over Meloche, I would switch them IMHO.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Really liked this pick.

He would have been drafted in the 250-300 range last year, but born 3 days late. He used the extra year to work extremely hard to improve his skating, stick handling, D and offence. He shot up the rankings to low 1st Round, but could have easily been Top 15 if born earlier.

His efforts to improve shows his dedication and high IQ making this a safe pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad