Prospect Info: Conor Timmins - D [32nd overall]

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
It is confusing, a lot of specific rules. On TSN they didn't state it correctly, it's not that the Avs delayed the offer, Timmins delayed in accepting it. But what they said helped us understand what's going on that there was a delay on purpose.

If he signed in 2017 then the Avs could call his season next year his 19 year old year and they could keep him in the AHL all year to get another year out of his contract. This is what was done with Mikko, he ends up with a 4 year ELC because he played in the AHL on that 19 year old contract year that slid.

If Timmins signs after March 1 yeah it will be just a normal 3 year ELC, no differences.

Thanks you so much!

Don’t know why the Agent would do this as Timmins lost at least a year’s Minor League Salary - Approx $70K.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Nah, his CHL team will be playing long after the Rampage

That seems realistic. So someone help me out with this, what is the advantage of signing him now. Is it just to get it out of the way so you are not under the gun next year? As long as it does not affect ELC/UFA/expansion draft status, it sounds nice.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
That seems realistic. So someone help me out with this, what is the advantage of signing him now. Is it just to get it out of the way so you are not under the gun next year? As long as it does not affect ELC/UFA/expansion draft status, it sounds nice.
It's so you'll know Sakic is clocking in at work. The contract is for next season on, there is no grand scheme.

E: Oh yeah right, the ELC thing...

Last edited:

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Probably a PR thing since the Miro news they wanted to put something positive out there to try and spin the conversations a bit.

Alot of buzz out there that the contract was done a while back, seems like too much of a coincidence that both stories hit the same day.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

Someone can clear this up better than me but IIRC it has to do with years accrued towards RFA/UFA status, waiting until after March pushes his UFA eligibility back a year that would have been unnecessarily burnt if they'd signed him sooner.

Anyone care to confirm or deny?

Reactions: McMetal

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Probably a PR thing since the Miro news they wanted to put something positive out there to try and spin the conversations a bit.

Alot of buzz out there that the contract was done a while back, seems like too much of a coincidence that both stories hit the same day.
Come to think of it, with Mironov moving on, which was also a possibility for a while here probably, dummies on Facebook will surely equate Mironov leaving to Timmins coming in now that the news came out like this.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Come to think of it, with Mironov moving on, which was also a possibility for a while here probably, dummies on Facebook will surely equate Mironov leaving to Timmins coming in now that the news came out like this.

Do we really think (m)any people outside of HF know/care that Mironov is on the way out?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Do we really think (m)any people outside of HF know/care that Mironov is on the way out?
It depends. If word gets out that the Avs are down a young defenseman who played this season, there will be hell to pay, since Facebook only wants all defensemen all the time.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It was he who chose not to sign because having it done in 2017 benefits the team. There's a specific rule about signing an ELC in the calendar year in which the player turns 20 does not make it slide eligible. But the rule is also that a players age is determined on September 15th for the season. Timmins' birthday is a couple days later so had he signed in 2017 it would have given him essentially a 4 year ELC. He and his agent know this and that's why he didn't sign. He's going to have to wait until March 1 now because signing between now and then would actually burn a year. If his camp gets the Avs to do that then they really have them by the balls but I gather it will fall into the Avs standard signing procedure of after March 1.

I should have read back further in the thread. Thanks. Interesting information.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Do you guys think Timmins has a decent chance to crack the roster next season?

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Extremely unlikely. He's still recovering from a concussion as well, which is concerning. If he's healthy for training camp he will definitely be one of the last cuts but there's too much of a logjam and he will benefit from big AHL minutes. Injury call-up later in the season perhaps, and likely 3rd pair in 2019/20

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, highly doubt it. I expect him to get good minutes in the AHL for the Eagles, paired with a guy like Warsofsky, Lindholm, or Graves who have experience at the level. He needs to get over the symptoms and play consistent, healthy hockey.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
At some point? Yes. Not to start though. Zadorov, EJ, Barrie, Girard, Cole, Nemeth and Barberio are pretty much a lock to be the 7 D on the roster after camp. Injuries are bound to happen though, that will be his opportunity at some point.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Imo he has a decent chance to get called up for a few games after some time in the AHL. Everything else (like making the team out of camp or getting a call up and staying in the NHL from then on) would be unexpected but not completely unrealistic in my eyes.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I could see him making it to start the season if indeed Nemeth and Zadorov are out with injuries. Unless he plays extremely well I'd expect him to get sent back down though once everyone is healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad