Prospect Info: Conor Timmins - D [32nd overall]

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That'd be good news if concussion recovery was linear.

The fact he's recovering and made progress at all is good news. Again, I'll wait until next year's camp. We all knew him suiting up for any games period was going to be a remote possibility. But if he's still not ready by next season...then yes, I'll pretty much have him written off as an NHL player. Frustrating as f*** as a fan, but I'm sure he's feeling even worse.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I thought this was debunked already. Im not sure but I thought someone mentioned the coach was not at fault. I could be wrong though.

Do you happen to know where it was debunked?

This guy claims to know specifics, but even if he's just outright lying, the coaching staff has to take blame for sending a 19 year old back out on the ice after that. The way he was hit, it was obvious that a concussion was a big possibility. Safety and preventing career altering concussions for youngsters should be the priority, not winning.

It's not just his quality of life that's at risk, but 10's of millions of dollars are at stake as well. Perhaps more if he became a top pairing defenseman.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The fact he's recovering and made progress at all is good news.

Yes it is, but the problem is you're never out of it until you're out of it. You can feel good for a long period of time and then it comes back. It REALLY sucks. There's an article online about Marc Savard and how it affected his life. He felt better and even played again but it kept coming back. I'll try to find it later and post it here.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Do you happen to know where it was debunked?

This guy claims to know specifics, but even if he's just outright lying, the coaching staff has to take blame for sending a 19 year old back out on the ice after that. The way he was hit, it was obvious that a concussion was a big possibility. Safety and preventing career altering concussions for youngsters should be the priority, not winning.

It's not just his quality of life that's at risk, but 10's of millions of dollars are at stake as well. Perhaps more if he became a top pairing defenseman.

It was definitely a poster on our boards who said it wasnt Bannisters fault.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Certain concussion symptoms don't really show up until a couple days later, which is probably what we saw a couple times with Bernier last season. This same situation could have effected Timmins as well and it was just Murphy's law where everything bad happened. However, in a game as big as they were playing in and how much Conor meant to the Greyhounds, I also wouldn't be surprised if the coach didn't ask questions and sent him out regardless of how banged up or drowsy he could've been. At worst case (and I might be totally wrong, but) he should've went and taken the concussion test in the quiet room. That's a ball dropped on the SSM coaching staff, medical team, and OHL officials.

Reactions: klozge

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Don't they say that having a concussion won't increase your chance of getting another concussion but if you do get one it is more severe?
It is opposite of that, sustaining a concussion increases your chances of sustaining another concussion, but it wouldn't be a higher severity level unless the circumstances are present for the level to increase (such as higher speeds, being in a more prone area, etc.). Of course seven repeated small concussions could be as bad as one severe one.

And majority of time in the really bad concussions, it's not really the brain which is affected long-term because that heals up (except for cases like Deadmarsh and Clowe). It's more of the neck area which could bring about symptoms as we saw in Joey Hishon.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
A lot of times guys aren’t even really recovered from the initial concussion and then they take a bump on the noggin.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
A lot of times guys aren’t even really recovered from the initial concussion and then they take a bump on the noggin.
Sadly that's the sports culture, majority of these lot can't lose that competitive edge because that's how they made it there in the first place. It's even worse in highschool and juniors where they're trying to make it in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad