Speculation: Connor Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
WPG will quickly accept this offer before MTL realizes what just happened.

Here are my reasons before anyone attacks me.
  • Weber is a broken down player and likely plays 3 of 7 seasons @ $6M before he retires.
  • Still a very good serviceable player.
  • BUF is possibly retiring opening a significant RHD hole for the next 2 seasons.
  • Weber expected to play 3 seasons replaces the loss of BUF with a similar cap, but earns less.
  • Laine could be extended with the additional cap space.
  • Weber retires early. Remaining years transfer to division rival NSH devastating their cap.
  • Habs have no replacement at the level of Weber, possible high lottery pick (ie. OTT to COL).
Consider the damage this causes to both MTL and NSH. WPG gets their RHD replacement for today and gains a high lottery pick for the future.

MB would be an idiot to make this deal. WPG overwhelmingly wins. I actually believe other teams in the Central would be willing to make such a deal and might even offer more.

Reactions: jetsforever

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Context: Weber + 2021 1st for Conner. Many Jets posters gave a hard-pass on this trade.

Would a Byfuglien retirement change Jets fans minds? I see the value being in their favor (in a vacuum), Weber + likely lottery odds 1st. Is the concern that Weber will soon wear out/decline?

You don’t trade a young 65+ point 30goal kid who wants to play long term in Winnipeg for a guy who’s 34 years old & who has played half his games in the last two years and literally could retire any day. How does this even require an explanation......bizarre.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Context: Weber + 2021 1st for Conner. Many Jets posters gave a hard-pass on this trade.

Would a Byfuglien retirement change Jets fans minds? I see the value being in their favor (in a vacuum), Weber + likely lottery odds 1st. Is the concern that Weber will soon wear out/decline?

Weber is 34 years old and ready for the glue factory.

Connor is a stud and only 22 years old.

Easy pass.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
But I never said it had to be for Connor as I said in my original post. I said if I were the jets I would inquire what it might take if Montreal is willing to listen considering their losses on D this off season and potential loss of Big buff. I didn't say it could for sure be worked out but that I would inquire.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

CountKong

Jun 5, 2018
You don’t trade a young 65+ point 30goal kid who wants to play long term in Winnipeg for a guy who’s 34 years old & who has played half his games in the last two years and literally could retire any day. How does this even require an explanation......bizarre.

Fair enough. Thought experiment, you are the GM and realise for reason X you cannot sign him, do you take the offer?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
And how much of Weber’s 7.857M AAV cap hit over the next 7 yrs is the Habs going to retain on?
Nothing makes Weber to Winnipeg worth it.
34 yr old, 7.857M AAV for 7 more yrs.... Jets can’t say no fast enough!!!

Reactions: Snowman

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
And how much of Weber’s 7.857M AAV cap hit over the next 7 yrs is the Habs going to retain on?
Nothing makes Weber to Winnipeg worth it.
34 yr old, 7.857M AAV for 7 more yrs.... Jetscant say no Fast enough
I don't know, that is for g.m's to work out. They do these things from time to time.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
But I never said it had to be for Connor as I said in my original post. I said if I were the jets I would inquire what it might take if Montreal is willing to listen considering their losses on D this off season and potential loss of Big buff. I didn't say it could for sure be worked out but that I would inquire.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Here’s the thing I think most non Jets fans don’t realize if Buff retires it’s becomes a rebuild year without doubt. Jets can’t trade for 2C & three top 4 D in one year......so trading for one is just pissing up a rope and hurting our draft pick. Jets need to fill the holes from within, trade and FA over the next year, plus the UFA D crop this summer is pretty good.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
If Buff retires that's money for Laine and Connor.

They aren't really short on the money. Jets need defensemen and if Buff is done they are down 3 of their top. Connor might be holding out for money but Laine is not, he wants the role he has deserved for a long time. Connor has been playing that role, maybe his negotiations are also about role in team. All in all, Jets can afford losing a winger and need help in D. They have two wingers without contract and one with contract who are all gunning for 1 available spot. Unless coach does the right thing and opens up the 1st line RW spot to a young player.

As Chevy I would first try to trade my old guys out of the way, but they messed that up by extending them with some NMC's so now forced to deal away some of the young talent to keep the team competitive. I would have to trade Connor as much as I'd hate it. But only for immediate defense relief. Return would need to be Werenski type

Reactions: hn777

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Here’s the thing I think most non Jets fans don’t realize if Buff retires it’s becomes a rebuild year without doubt. Jets can’t trade for 2C & three top 4 D in one year......so trading for one is just pissing up a rope and hurting our draft pick. Jets need to fill the holes from within, trade and FA over the next year, plus the UFA D crop this summer is pretty good.
Fair enough.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Fair enough. Thought experiment, you are the GM and realise for reason X you cannot sign him, do you take the offer?

We have lots of cap space to sign Connor, that isn’t an issue. But playing your experiment the answer is easy no b/c a bunch of teams would beat an offer of an 34 year D who’s missed half of the last two years due to injury. Literally Weber could choose to retire any day or be forced to due to injury.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

That is true, unfortunately. Niku might alleviate some of the pain, Heinola is still a year away at least. Can't just replace 3 top four D in one off season, especially at this hour.

Unless Chevy can get a big deal done like Laine for couple of decent young D that can step in now. Canes look like the best trading partner, they have what Jets need in abundance. Connor could fetch a good D too.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Seriously guys, let's up the maturity of our posting please. I don't want to throw out infractions but I will if you keep it up.

You know who you are, I've deleted your posts, let's try to act like adults. Infractions start next.....

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Gives me a headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad