Speculation: Connor Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
You don't have to write the season off but you can decide to let things play out as they are. Focus on truly maximizing your forward groups output and get several younger d-men experience in the league. Players like Samberg and Heinola should give a nice boost to the d-core next year.

The Jets strangely enough seem to play their best team game when their D-Core is decimated. The first playoff year (loss to the Ducks) was a season when the Jets at times were playing with 5 of their 6 D out of the line up. Somehow they managed to win a bunch of games. If the Jets can get Laine and Connor signed up long term then they are just a D or two away from being real contenders again. You hope at least one of those slots is filled from internal growth and you need to bring someone in (likely) to fill the other spot.

Next summer seems like a better time to get a top 4 D then right now. Unless Chevy finds some deal he can't turn down.

Young D worth a Connor / Laine / Ehlers aren't the type of players those teams are willing to trade.
This post represents my fondest hopes: that we let the kids play and see how the season shakes out.

It also casually mentions my greatest Jets-related fear: that we'll sell from our position of outlandish strength to address a predicted weakness for the sake of this season. We lose that trade 11/10 and I think we only get marginal improvement.

At this point, I'd rather trade Wheeler than Laine, Connor or Ehlers.

Reactions: hn777

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Myers is really not a loss. He's a bottom-pairing D who gets exposed anytime he's not sheltered.

Trouba is a loss but he's not the team. Buff would be a bigger loss but it's only hypothetical.

The team might commit to actually playing defense like they did two years ago if they feel less confident in the D. The forwards make a big difference. Could work out alright.

It's definitely not time to panic and make a Hall for Larsson type of trade.

Little is a decent 2C and is better than Hayes, especially as a goalscorer (as far as comparing to Kadri). He's also on a better contract than Hayes.

I agree he's not expendable currently.
I agree with everuthing but the bolded. It's my solemn belief that Buff is done and the LOA is more than anything, a manufactured window to try and change his mind.

I'm grateful to 33 for choosing to be part of our community, especially if he sticks around post-retirement, but I don't have any expectation we'll see him on the ice again.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I understand Jets do not want to trade Connor (I would not) but value wise is Connor for Gostisbehere somewhat fair for both sides?

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I understand Jets do not want to trade Connor (I would not) but value wise is Connor for Gostisbehere somewhat fair for both sides?

All Jets fans sits in a big cirlce and prays Niku becomes our Ghost-lite, so hopefully we can decline this by december and say we already have 1 :P

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Would the Jets be interested in Green if Buff retires?

Not suggesting for Connor.

More like a pick and a prospect. Retention available.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Sounds like the Jets are preparing to roll with their current D core and evaluating what they have and see how they handle new roles. Might change if Buff retires, but I expect Buff back before the regular season starts.

Reactions: BatVader

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Would the Jets be interested in Green if Buff retires?

Not suggesting for Connor.

More like a pick and a prospect. Retention available.
If Buff retires, there’s zero reason to piss away 5+M on 1 yr of a 33 yr old just to say we did!
Be far better to keep that 5M, sign our RFA’s, play our kids so they can get some experience, save our picks for the draft, look into Hamonic once UFA season opens up, and retool for next season.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Sounds like the Jets are preparing to roll with their current D core and evaluating what they have and see how they handle new roles. Might change if Buff retires, but I expect Buff back before the regular season starts.
got you... I hope he comes back.... I was just asking if someone like Gostisbehere would interest you...

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
got you... I hope he comes back.... I was just asking if someone like Gostisbehere would interest you...

Personally, if buff stays I would roll as it is. If buff retires I would seriously consider trading from a position of strength to fill our needs.......Trading Connor/Ehlers would fill one of our needs (3 top 4 D & dynamic 2C), Laine would fill likely two of those holes & a pick/prospect to boot. So I wouldn't trade Connor/Ehlers but I would consider trading Laine if I got the right offer to fill two of those needs & a pick/prospect.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
As a playmaker, sure. Overall, that's a tough argument. Hayes is worse defensively and can't/won't shoot.
Hayes is miles better than Little.

Overall it's not even close. Hayes is somewhat underrated. He's driven play for years now. Little is a shell of his former self. Not really a debate as of now.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Personally, if buff stays I would roll as it is. If buff retires I would seriously consider trading from a position of strength to fill our needs.......Trading Connor/Ehlers would fill one of our needs (3 top 4 D & dynamic 2C), Laine would fill likely two of those holes & a pick/prospect to boot. So I wouldn't trade Connor/Ehlers but I would consider trading Laine if I got the right offer to fill two of those needs & a pick/prospect.
If Buff is out all year, I wouldn't want the Jets to paper it over with a panic trade. Play the season out with a young D and then use their cap space to hunt for a RD next offseason. Cap will be tight again for a lot of teams and there are a lot of good UFA D coming to market next offseason. The Jets could really weaponized Buff's cap space, but not until next offseason.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Which Green?

This guy could fix our coaching and defense situation with some duct tape. :thumbu:

5cbe64128b8f5.image.jpg

Reactions: BatVader

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Overall it's not even close. Hayes is somewhat underrated. He's driven play for years now. Little is a shell of his former self. Not really a debate as of now.

Thing is that Little played better on the Jets then Hayes did.
In a vacuum is Hayes better? It would definitely seem so.
But that didn't play out on our team and at a 7million cap hit yikes.

Hayes biggest impact to the Jets was in game 5 vs St Louis.
Jets are up 2 - 0. The puck is going in the Blues net and Hayes tries to hit to make sure it goes in and actually knocks it out. That would have put the Jets up 3 - 0. Blues win that game and go on to take the series.

It was a really big waste of a pick. Hayes ended up centering the 4th line. Jets should have stayed out of the rental market. In 2017 - 18 they were playing well enough to justify the expense. 2018 - 19 they certainly weren't playing well enough to justify things.

Reactions: FireChevy

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
If Buff is out all year, I wouldn't want the Jets to paper it over with a panic trade. Play the season out with a young D and then use their cap space to hunt for a RD next offseason. Cap will be tight again for a lot of teams and there are a lot of good UFA D coming to market next offseason. The Jets could really weaponized Buff's cap space, but not until next offseason.
This!!!

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Still hasn’t been signed.
Speculation and rumour is a 6 year deal us the target.
I’m guessing it’s 6 x 7.125

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We have 7.2 if Buff comes back.
Nope, because they would then have a 24 man roster. If Buff comes back, the Jets would have at least 8M in cap space with a 23 man roster, and more than that if they ran a 22 man roster for stretches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->