Speculation: Connor Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Reasonable ask, especially the 2 2nds. It does seem like Calgary has been shopping Brodie for a long time.

Is it really likely Brodie is dealt? He plays so well with Gio and wasn’t Calgary concerned with D depth? I know they brought Stone back in the fold but still.

Just seems to me the Flames would be better off with Brodie for another season/run this year
There has not been a legitimate rumor about Brodie being shopped since Valimaki went down with injury. Even then the only legit rumor was Kadri which resulted in a massive upgrade to our C position and was before FA started, so there is a chance we could have done something else to add a defenseman after the deal.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Cannot believe there is a Connor mega thread. How could anybody think Winnipeg would be stupid enough to trade this kid?
I don't consider it likely. I think the Jackets are pursuing it, and possibly trying to create another "Chicago trading away Brandon Saad" situation with him, but ultimately I fully expect Connor to remain a Jet when all is said and done. There's too many factors in the Jets' favor for a trade or an offer sheet to make a player transfer probable IMO. (But at the same time, you can't win if you don't try...)

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
True. It’s tough to write a season off before it’s even began but damn Winnipeg is having a tough off season. If management secretly decides to write the season off as more or less development season this situation could help them with the Connor and Laine RFA issue as there really is less need to cave on managements part to the player demands.

You don't have to write the season off but you can decide to let things play out as they are. Focus on truly maximizing your forward groups output and get several younger d-men experience in the league. Players like Samberg and Heinola should give a nice boost to the d-core next year.

The Jets strangely enough seem to play their best team game when their D-Core is decimated. The first playoff year (loss to the Ducks) was a season when the Jets at times were playing with 5 of their 6 D out of the line up. Somehow they managed to win a bunch of games. If the Jets can get Laine and Connor signed up long term then they are just a D or two away from being real contenders again. You hope at least one of those slots is filled from internal growth and you need to bring someone in (likely) to fill the other spot.

Next summer seems like a better time to get a top 4 D then right now. Unless Chevy finds some deal he can't turn down.

Young D worth a Connor / Laine / Ehlers aren't the type of players those teams are willing to trade.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The Flames can't afford to move a defenseman. Why would we **** our season just to help the Jets?

Legit question I thought the Flames had a really deep roster for D and potentially have vets blocking top prospects. Many Flames fans have posted that 1 of Hamonic or Brodie may need to go to make the cap work.

For the record I'm not suggesting that Calgary is / should be giving away players.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I don't know what it would take for both clubs to make it work but with all the losses on the back end for the jets and with Buff possibly gone I would think about talking with Montreal about Weber.

Not if the cost is on the Connor / Ehlers / Laine range.
MTL needs Weber and can't move him cheap.
Winnipeg would really regret a move like that in a couple of years.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Context: Weber + 2021 1st for Conner. Many Jets posters gave a hard-pass on this trade.

Would a Byfuglien retirement change Jets fans minds? I see the value being in their favor (in a vacuum), Weber + likely lottery odds 1st. Is the concern that Weber will soon wear out/decline?

Lets be realistic, Bergevin would never offer Weber + 2021 1st for Connor. He still thinks the Weber trade is the best one he's made (per an interview this month). He values Weber much more than HF does.

Reactions: Fro

CountKong

Jun 5, 2018
Lets be realistic, Bergevin would never offer Weber + 2021 1st for Connor. He still thinks the Weber trade is the best one he's made (per an interview this month). He values Weber much more than HF does.
I agree with you on that point, he does seem to stick to his guns.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Not if the cost is on the Connor / Ehlers / Laine range.
MTL needs Weber and can't move him cheap.
Winnipeg would really regret a move like that in a couple of years.
If the cost was any of those players I would agree. But it's precisely because of those players and a few others in their forward group that I think their window is now and why they need to re bolster that defense with an impact guy with the losses of Myers,Trouba and possibly Buff.

that is why I would be asking about a guy like Weber if I were the jets, maybe nothing can be worked out that costs none of those core guys but I would inquire about Weber if I were Chevy.

It doesn't hurt to sniff around.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Yeah, Brodie won't push the Jets over the top and Flames shouldn't trade him for a mediocre return. Is there a Kadri equivalent on the Jets?
Closest woulda been Kevin Hayes. Jets don't even have a 2C themselves, let alone a spare one to trade

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'm surprised Connor's still not signed. In any event the Jets will get him signed. They'll move Laine before they move Connor.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'm surprised Connor's still not signed. In any event the Jets will get him signed. They'll move Laine before they move Connor.

Likely won’t be announced until Laine deal is also announced at the same time to avoid any OS threat.

Reactions: hn777 and BatVader

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
The TSN/TNSE propaganda piece during yesterday's game tells me the KC contract is close to done, if not already done. The interviews were very friendly between Chevy and KC, saying that it was "just a matter of time" before a deal got done. They wouldn't allow TSN to make a piece like that if there was any doubt about the deal getting done.

Reactions: hn777

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I could sure use some good news right about now, so a KC announcement would be much appreciated, but I get the reasoning behind waiting...

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
You don't have to write the season off but you can decide to let things play out as they are. Focus on truly maximizing your forward groups output and get several younger d-men experience in the league. Players like Samberg and Heinola should give a nice boost to the d-core next year.

The Jets strangely enough seem to play their best team game when their D-Core is decimated. The first playoff year (loss to the Ducks) was a season when the Jets at times were playing with 5 of their 6 D out of the line up. Somehow they managed to win a bunch of games. If the Jets can get Laine and Connor signed up long term then they are just a D or two away from being real contenders again. You hope at least one of those slots is filled from internal growth and you need to bring someone in (likely) to fill the other spot.

Next summer seems like a better time to get a top 4 D then right now. Unless Chevy finds some deal he can't turn down.

Young D worth a Connor / Laine / Ehlers aren't the type of players those teams are willing to trade.
This. All of this. Someone should sticky this to the top of each page of every thread about Jets players.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Praise this post!

Reactions: Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
If the cost was any of those players I would agree. But it's precisely because of those players and a few others in their forward group that I think their window is now and why they need to re bolster that defense with an impact guy with the losses of Myers,Trouba and possibly Buff.

that is why I would be asking about a guy like Weber if I were the jets, maybe nothing can be worked out that costs none of those core guys but I would inquire about Weber if I were Chevy.

It doesn't hurt to sniff around.
Myers is really not a loss. He's a bottom-pairing D who gets exposed anytime he's not sheltered.

Trouba is a loss but he's not the team. Buff would be a bigger loss but it's only hypothetical.

The team might commit to actually playing defense like they did two years ago if they feel less confident in the D. The forwards make a big difference. Could work out alright.

It's definitely not time to panic and make a Hall for Larsson type of trade.

Closest woulda been Kevin Hayes. Jets don't even have a 2C themselves, let alone a spare one to trade
Little is a decent 2C and is better than Hayes, especially as a goalscorer (as far as comparing to Kadri). He's also on a better contract than Hayes.

I agree he's not expendable currently.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Myers is really not a loss. He's a bottom-pairing D who gets exposed anytime he's not sheltered.

Trouba is a loss but he's not the team. Buff would be a bigger loss but it's only hypothetical.

The team might commit to actually playing defense like they did two years ago if they feel less confident in the D. The forwards make a big difference. Could work out alright.

It's definitely not time to panic and make a Hall for Larsson type of trade.

Little is a decent 2C and is better than Hayes, especially as a goalscorer (as far as comparing to Kadri). He's also on a better contract than Hayes.

I agree he's not expendable currently.

Hayes is miles better than Little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad