Speculation: Connor Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Only reason we'd trade Brodie is cause of cap space so taking Little back doesn't make much sense.

Prospect or Picks really. Hate to sell low on Jankowski but he could be a sweetener.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
much more likely situation...

Buff retires and WPG sign both Connor and Laine to a combined 12.5 - 15 million per season.

Cbj trades either Murray, Savvard, Nutivaara, or Gavrikov + defensive prospect (let’s say Carlson) + bottom 6 player

For

Roslovic

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Try Werenski coming back in any return for Conner, anything less Chevy will hang up. And no way the first should be protected in the deal you proposed

I'm not sure I agree with that...CLB has some good young players, someone like Nuti would be a good fit in Colorado. A little bit of Morrissey in him.

That being said, I don't think these teams match all that well.

Reactions: lilfedor

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
With the news of Big Buf contemplating retirement, Winnipeg may be desperate to acquire a defenseman. Columbus is in a position to present an offer sheet to Connor, and could leverage the threat of an offer sheet into a trade similar to how we acquired Brandon Saad in 2015.

To CBJ: Kyle Connor (signed long-term)

To WPG: David Savard + 2020 1st Rd Pick (protected, moves to 2021 if CBJ picks in top-10)

Columbus solves their top-6 LW hole and clears their logjam of defensemen, and Winnipeg frees up a lot of cap space to sign Laine comfortably while adding a steady stay-at-home RHD to replace Buf and Myers.

With appropriate adds (if necessary), could something like this work for both teams?
Lol, Buff being gone would (does, because it's obviously true) mean the Jets are under the cap floor and now we're afraid of an offersheet?

I don't think Kek is a dipshit, but if he were and pulled this, I'd laugh at him, tell him to go ahead with his offersheet, match it, sign Laine to whatever he wants, check in on Point and be extra smug knowing I could still overpay PLD next year.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
It's weird to claim this after he just played back to back full seasons and his 2 season with 50-some games are the only years in his career other than the lockout shortened season (where he played 48/48) and his rookie season (where he had 34 AHL games) that he played fewer than 70 games.

Those two 50 game seasons are pretty concerning to me as it's not far removed, and given his age depending on what the injury was theres always more concern.

Combine that concern with the fact that he scores the same as Backlund at the same position and I just dont think hes a good option.

As a player, sure hes fine as a 2/3 centre. I just have my reservations.

Not to mention the amount of Jets fans that I've seen be upset about him playing with top 6 players...

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Hes a 2/3 right shot center that can put up 40-50 points and play all scenarios. Him for Brodie straight up could definitely work. Id like to see brodie resigned personally but hes clearly being shopped

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Yikes, I think this is gonna be one of those threads I tell myself not to follow but then I will and then posters will make me mad and then I'll feel obligated to teach them that they don't know what they're talking about and it'll consume all my time and then I'll start to question whether or not I should keep coming here and what the longest run-on sentence I've ever written is and whether or not I can break that record.
Ditto

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Hard pass from me. Little is a good player, but he's signed for 5 more years at a higher AAV than Brodie.

But with Brodie + Janko, we actually clear just slightly over 1 mil AAV for the coming season which I believe allows us to do 7.5 mil AAV for Tkachuk. It's also weird because we'd be acquiring Little to play 3C so that Lindholm could stay at 1RW (Instead of moving to 3C). That's a heck of a top 9 to roll and Doc is a damn fine player to have as a 4C. In an injury situation, he could even sub up as top 6 RW.

After next season, without Czarnik + Frolik, that should help to absorb the cap implications.

I can't comment if the Jets even think this move is viable, but since the Flames are not going to be able to compete via superstar centres, having ridiculous centre depth is an option to pursue.

Reactions: jetsforever

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
He would probably be a good fit. The only issue is if Buff really don’t come back and you’re Winnipeg, you want to hold on to that first round pick like your life depends on it, just in case your defense can’t hold it.

I wouldn’t want to trade any top rated prospects or roster players at this point for a one year solution either.

It’ll probably be around a second round pick and b- level prospect if it ever gets to that point and Calgary needs the cap space. Win-win (to some degree) for both teams
If Buff's not coming back (he's not) we're pretty much guaranteed picking 4th as a worst-case scenario. Not sure a D is going to be bpa in that slot

Reactions: Psych0dad

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
While I would not be surprised if an offer like that goes down due to offersheet pressure, that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to make for a productive discussion with the other team's fans. Folks tend to react poorly to that sort of thing. :)

* * *​
much more likely situation...

Buff retires and WPG sign both Connor and Laine to a combined 12.5 - 15 million per season.

Cbj trades either Murray, Savvard, Nutivaara, or Gavrikov + defensive prospect (let’s say Carlson) + bottom 6 player

For

Roslovic
This pathetic nonsense makes the OP look fair and balanced.

Reactions: Fro and MisterT

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
But with Brodie + Janko, we actually clear just slightly over 1 mil AAV for the coming season which I believe allows us to do 7.5 mil AAV for Tkachuk. It's also weird because we'd be acquiring Little to play 3C so that Lindholm could stay at 1RW (Instead of moving to 3C). That's a heck of a top 9 to roll and Doc is a damn fine player to have as a 4C. In an injury situation, he could even sub up as top 6 RW.

After next season, without Czarnik + Frolik, that should help to absorb the cap implications.

I can't comment if the Jets even think this move is viable, but since the Flames are not going to be able to compete via superstar centres, having ridiculous centre depth is an option to pursue.
Until we have to replace the other player on the rsoter and then we save less than 300k

It's a terrible idea. 5 years for a 31 year old, 40 points player making that much is a recipe for a buyout in 2-3 years

Also, we can already go up to about $8m for Tkachuk btw

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Those two 50 game seasons are pretty concerning to me as it's not far removed, and given his age depending on what the injury was theres always more concern.

Combine that concern with the fact that he scores the same as Backlund at the same position and I just dont think hes a good option.

As a player, sure hes fine as a 2/3 centre. I just have my reservations.

Not to mention the amount of Jets fans that I've seen be upset about him playing with top 6 players...
I have no interest in Little, but your reasoning of GP is simply awful.

Ledge And Dairy

There is no legitimate trade here without brodie coming with an extension, flames having a decent 6/7 rd set up, and one of Ehlers Laine or Little returning. The issue with that is wpg will not agree to that. These teams make really awkward trade partners since the players wanted from each side massively outvalue what the team is willing to trade away. IMO jeta should go after 1 of Ristolainen or Faulk

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think Winnipeg, regardless of what happens with Buf, are going to bend a lot to keep Connor. He's an integral piece of their puzzle, much like Dubois is for us.

If there is a target to get from Winnipeg, its Laine. Both with his comments about coaching/linemates and salary demands it would make more sense to deal him if they HAD to. He'd still get a good return, and it alleviates the salary concerns.

But under the scenario where Buf retires, Winnipeg would have plenty of cap space for both Laine and Connor, but the issue would become their defensive depth. CBJ-WPG could swing a deal for a guy like Rozlovic for Murray or Nutivaara. I'm not entirely sold on this, but its an opportunity to help both clubs.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not sure if it's what the Jets want but I could see the Islanders willing to dump Hickey(LHD) for a mid to late round pick if Dobson earns a roster spot

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I feel like there is a deal to be made around one of Columbus’s expendable D (that could end up playing top pair minutes in Winnipeg) and one of Winnipeg’s extra forwards causing a cap crunch (that could significantly help Columbus’s forward group). I’m not sure that the original proposal is what Winnipeg will be looking for, but there’s something there. Columbus has a LOT of defensemen on reasonable contracts that are pushed down in the lineup due to Werenski and Jones. I think Connor, Laine, Ehlers, and Roslovic would all be of interest (assuming Wheeler and Scheifele are off the table).

If I were another team in cap trouble looking for help on defense, I would look no further than Nutivaara: a young #3/4 defenseman with offensive ability that hasn’t seen a lick of power play time that is on an absolutely absurdly cheap contract for a few more years.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Hamonic makes a ton of sense for Winnipeg. They were on his short list when he wanted out of NY. Winnipeg could use him badly and Calgary moves Andersson up the depth chart.

Reactions: BatVader

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Hamonic makes a ton of sense for Winnipeg. They were on his short list when he wanted out of NY. Winnipeg could use him badly and Calgary moves Andersson up the depth chart.

No contract for next year diminishes Hamonic's value though. If this year is going to be a disaster for Winnipeg, just try to sign him next season with the cap space they'll have. No one is due for a big raise next season.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
No contract for next year diminishes Hamonic's value though. If this year is going to be a disaster for Winnipeg, just try to sign him next season with the cap space they'll have. No one is due for a big raise next season.

True. It’s tough to write a season off before it’s even began but damn Winnipeg is having a tough off season. If management secretly decides to write the season off as more or less development season this situation could help them with the Connor and Laine RFA issue as there really is less need to cave on managements part to the player demands.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Flames can't afford to move a defenseman. Why would we f*** our season just to help the Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad