Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part V: Super Sophomore

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Don't stick with anything lo it is absurd trying to compare anything since you can always twist stats into making your point and someone else can twist it the other way. This is a usless excercis lol Nobody can compare or even come close to Gretzky no matter what era. Let us just enjoy this great player we have in Connor Mcadvid and stop trying to compare him to Gretzky lol
exercise i mean lol

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Don't stick with anything lo it is absurd trying to compare anything since you can always twist stats into making your point and someone else can twist it the other way. This is a usless excercis lol Nobody can compare or even come close to Gretzky no matter what era. Let us just enjoy this great player we have in Connor Mcadvid and stop trying to compare him to Gretzky lol

Agreed 100%. No use in comparing to Gretzkybecause Gretzky is the greatest ever. McDavid has a TON to do before even being considered top 50.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Any points adjustment between eras is a loose estimate at best. Remember, when Gretzky played, there were far more "lower-level" players in the NHL than there are now. Sorry to the old fogies who think that their era held the best players. The days when the top-caliber players could consistently take advantage of lower-end players is over, and talent is only getting more evenly-spread as time goes on.

An accurate comparison of points between McDavid and players in Gretzky's era needs to be contextualized to account for how much better everyone is today compared to the good ol' days. I don't think such a measurement is possible, so I just let my eyes tell me that McDavid is the most skilled player to ever live as they melt from my face when he goes on his 3rd or 4th breakaway of the game.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Connor McDavid leads the NHL with 65 assists. The leading scorer on 13 teams (BUFF, CAR, CBJ, FLO, NJ, NYR, PHIL, ARI, COL, CGY, LAK, NSH & VAN) has fewer than 65 points.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Connor McDavid leads the NHL with 65 assists. The leading scorer on 13 teams (BUFF, CAR, CBJ, FLO, NJ, NYR, PHIL, ARI, COL, CGY, LAK, NSH & VAN) has fewer than 65 points.

Funny thing is that the overwhelming consensus is that he needs to shoot more.

He's 20th in the entire league in shots on goal, with a shooting percentage of ~12, which is about average for the top 20 shooters.

With 1 additional shot per game he'd lead the league in shots (within a couple shots, whatever).

Just goes to show how many offensive chances he creates.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Pretty good read with comments from his mother.

Fans expressed concern when the Oilers appointed McDavid their captain in October. He was 19 years and 266 days old, 20 days younger than the NHL’s previous youngest captain, Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog.

That was one time that Kelly didn’t fret.

“He was born to be a captain,†she says. “When they gave that to him, he took the role very seriously. He really cares. He has a huge heart.â€

"But he's too young to be the captain."

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I am sincerely happy that he's the leader of this team. I feel like what he brings in his leadership role is something else that had lead to all the success this year that we can't even imagine measuring.

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton

Fans expressed concern when the Oilers appointed McDavid their captain in October. He was 19 years and 266 days old, 20 days younger than the NHL’s previous youngest captain, Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog.

“He was born to be a captain,†she says. “When they gave that to him, he took the role very seriously. He really cares. He has a huge heart.â€

No, sorry, the critiques know him better than his mother. :sarcasm:

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

Agreed.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta

“He was born to be a captain,” she says. “When they gave that to him, he took the role very seriously. He really cares. He has a huge heart.”

Thanks for sharing this. :nod:

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I truly feel the team knowing they have "the best player" on any given night must give them boat loads of confidence.

You go into a game vs literally any team in the west and you know for a fact your guy is better than any guy on their roster. That must feel great in the room.

Sure they have Kane but we have McDavid, sure they have Gaudreau but we have Mcdavid etc.

We are truly lucky those lottery balls landed our way, else we'd be following Dylan Strome lol

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
I truly feel the team knowing they have "the best player" on any given night must give them boat loads of confidence.

You go into a game vs literally any team in the west and you know for a fact your guy is better than any guy on their roster. That must feel great in the room.

Sure they have Kane but we have McDavid, sure they have Gaudreau but we have Mcdavid etc.

We are truly lucky those lottery balls landed our way, else we'd be following Dylan Strome lol

:laugh:
McTavish would still be GM and Todd would have gone elsewhere to coach.

Connor McFries

5-14-6-1
Jan 9, 2008

Lol! Insert "We have a Hulk, McDavid" Gif from The Avengers.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

I would have taken Strome with the 1st overall. McDavid surprised me with how generational he is

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Any points adjustment between eras is a loose estimate at best. Remember, when Gretzky played, there were far more "lower-level" players in the NHL than there are now. Sorry to the old fogies who think that their era held the best players. The days when the top-caliber players could consistently take advantage of lower-end players is over, and talent is only getting more evenly-spread as time goes on.

An accurate comparison of points between McDavid and players in Gretzky's era needs to be contextualized to account for how much better everyone is today compared to the good ol' days. I don't think such a measurement is possible, so I just let my eyes tell me that McDavid is the most skilled player to ever live as they melt from my face when he goes on his 3rd or 4th breakaway of the game.
Some of those old foggies you are talking about could probably kick you ass in hockey and in most physical activities lol But seriously now I could make tons of reasons why Gretzky would of dominated any era by lots. You have no clue what an accurate comparison is because i could also say the equipment and diet and training and rules nowadays is a huge advantage to todays players. I don't care what your eyes tell you. I watched Gretzky live and Mcdavid and nobody compare in the history of the game in how Gretzky saw the ice and made is teammates better. It would be very foolish to suggest any player in his first full year is even close to being on Gretzky's level yet. Nobody cominated his peers like Gretzky did and that is the only way you can compare.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
:laugh:
McTavish would still be GM and Todd would have gone elsewhere to coach.

disg_kfdj897.gif

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Funny thing is that the overwhelming consensus is that he needs to shoot more.

He's 20th in the entire league in shots on goal, with a shooting percentage of ~12, which is about average for the top 20 shooters.

With 1 additional shot per game he'd lead the league in shots (within a couple shots, whatever).

Just goes to show how many offensive chances he creates.

Nice post. I don't buy into the "he needs to shoot more" narrative and your post proves that. You don't tell the best player in the game how to play better. He's doing everything right now, and no one has the generational vision to tell him otherwise.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Some of those old foggies you are talking about could probably kick you ass in hockey and in most physical activities lol But seriously now I could make tons of reasons why Gretzky would of dominated any era by lots. You have no clue what an accurate comparison is because i could also say the equipment and diet and training and rules nowadays is a huge advantage to todays players. I don't care what your eyes tell you. I watched Gretzky live and Mcdavid and nobody compare in the history of the game in how Gretzky saw the ice and made is teammates better. It would be very foolish to suggest any player in his first full year is even close to being on Gretzky's level yet. Nobody cominated his peers like Gretzky did and that is the only way you can compare.

Your a fan boy and a blowhard of Gretzky. I'm middle age and watched Gretzky he scored a lot of goals on subpar goaltending. He also had the benefit of having no one at his level yet. Now the players are more evenly spread (talent wise) also he was on a stacked team. Had Gretzky started his career when Mcdavid, or Crosby did with his size, speed he would comparable to a Gaudreau. He brought innovation and a new skill set but your deluding yourself us old guys loved the guys like we like an old mattress but give it a break if your outside Edmonton (not guys who have collected his memorobillia for 40 years) or a guy who can assess talent over long periods of time you realize as Barry Trots said the next best player has not even played yet because the players are always getting so good.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Your a fan boy and a blowhard of Gretzky. I'm middle age and watched Gretzky he scored a lot of goals on subpar goaltending. He also had the benefit of having no one at his level yet. Now the players are more evenly spread (talent wise) also he was on a stacked team. Had Gretzky started his career when Mcdavid, or Crosby did with his size, speed he would comparable to a Gaudreau. He brought innovation and a new skill set but your deluding yourself us old guys loved the guys like we like an old mattress but give it a break if your outside Edmonton (not guys who have collected his memorobillia for 40 years) or a guy who can assess talent over long periods of time you realize as Barry Trots said the next best player has not even played yet because the players are always getting so good.

You forgot that Gretzky was over a PPG during the dead pick era and even won the Art Ross at the age of 34 over the likes of Lemieux, Jagr, Lindros. He was scoring on goalies like Belfour, Roy, Hasek and Brodeur while in his 30's. Even late in his career he was still one of the top players in the league. He was always to small and to slow for even the 1980's standards. What set him apart was his hockey IQ and superior cardio.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
You forgot that Gretzky was over a PPG during the dead pick era and even won the Art Ross at the age of 34 over the likes of Lemieux, Jagr, Lindros. He was scoring on goalies like Belfour, Roy, Hasek and Brodeur while in his 30's. Even late in his career he was still one of the top players in the league. He was always to small and to slow for even the 1980's standards. What set him apart was his hockey IQ and superior cardio.

I'm not disputing his talent but you don't see 200 point seasons because you just don't see players or teams dominating like they used to. It's the same argument for Babe Ruth once you got blacks, and Dominicans things changed. He has to a large extent padded stats, granted he has a low amount for empty nets, but he had piles of games where a below average goalie got lit up. He also doesn't get the abuse Mcdavid or Crosby got. There was the Gretzky code - not to hit him.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Your a fan boy and a blowhard of Gretzky. I'm middle age and watched Gretzky he scored a lot of goals on subpar goaltending. He also had the benefit of having no one at his level yet. Now the players are more evenly spread (talent wise) also he was on a stacked team. Had Gretzky started his career when Mcdavid, or Crosby did with his size, speed he would comparable to a Gaudreau. He brought innovation and a new skill set but your deluding yourself us old guys loved the guys like we like an old mattress but give it a break if your outside Edmonton (not guys who have collected his memorobillia for 40 years) or a guy who can assess talent over long periods of time you realize as Barrof hocy Trots said the next best player has not even played yet because the players are always getting so good.
lol save your hot air lol i have heard people like you spout this stuff before and i laugh lol I appreciate all hockey skill but nobody saw the ice better than Gretzky ever. You are deluding yourself if you think if Gretzky in this day and age would not of benifited from training and weights and diet and equipment and the new rules and three on three lol You are full of hot air when you compare Gretzky to Johnny Gaudre in Calgary lol Of course hockey players are faster and bigger now lol it is called evolution of hockey but nobody had the mind for the game like Gretzky. You have no clue about me or what hockey i have seen , i appreciate all good hockey players. And i don't care what age you are . I know many people like you who will never admit Gretzky's impact on the game and calling him the greatest. They refuse to admit Grezky would of been great in any era with his mind and creativity for the game. And if he had the advantages of today then you are deluding yourself if you don't think with his mind he could adapt and be at the top of the league.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
I'm not disputing his talent but you don't see 200 point seasons because you just don't see players or teams dominating like they used to. It's the same argument for Babe Ruth once you got blacks, and Dominicans things changed. He has to a large extent padded stats, granted he has a low amount for empty nets, but he had piles of games where a below average goalie got lit up. He also doesn't get the abuse Mcdavid or Crosby got. There was the Gretzky code - not to hit him.
Give it a rest lol we know you don't like Gretzky lol Oh yea nobody hit gretzky lol yea that is why he broke his back when suter hit him and was out half a year. Or when he got hit at centre ice and knocked out in Toronto at the start of his career. You are the type of person who will make any excuse for Gretzky's greatness. Oh yea and i am a fan boy as you say because i actually was amazed at how he saw the game. No use arguing with the like of you, you will never admit the facts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad