Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part V: Super Sophomore

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I was looking at his numbers compared to Gretz, Mario, Sid. Can't compare numbers, but comparing position in the scoring race, Connor is right on pace with all of them. He is 1st in scoring his 19 year old season. Gretz tied for first, MArio was second to Gretz (so sort of an excuse there). Sid finished just ahed of Joe Thornton. Any way, he is doing as good or better than these guys, pretty unreal.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I was looking at his numbers compared to Gretz, Mario, Sid. Can't compare numbers, but comparing position in the scoring race, Connor is right on pace with all of them. He is 1st in scoring his 19 year old season. Gretz tied for first, MArio was second to Gretz (so sort of an excuse there). Sid finished just ahed of Joe Thornton. Any way, he is doing as good or better than these guys, pretty unreal.

He'll never have Gretzky like domination over his peers, as that is probably completely impossible in the modern league. But he will be by far the best player of his generation. A better talent than Crosby was in my opinion.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Assuming the NHL will even participate in the Olympics, I bet Team Canada is upset that neither of his wingers are Canadian.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

Yeah he's leading the league but you can't ignore Gretz's total domination in saying he's done as well or better than the others you compare him to. McDavid is looking likely to win the scoring title by a few points; Gretz crushed the competition.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Can't see how a player of his calibre won't win a cup or 2 or 3. It'd be unheard of for a generational talent not to.

This will be Chia's biggest test, to find quality 2nd and 3rd line players to support McDavid and stay within the cap.

Ovechkin is the only "generational" player as of late not to win...yet.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Yeah he's leading the league but you can't ignore Gretz's total domination in saying he's done as well or better than the others you compare him to. McDavid is looking likely to win the scoring title by a few points; Gretz crushed the competition.

That's fair to an extent. It should be born in mind, though, that in today's NHL, literally everyone plays at an exceptionally high caliber. The talent gap among players has closed considerably since Gretzky's days, and it continues to close. So the "dominance over his peers" argument used in favor of Gretzky's greatness is no longer entirely apt.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
That's fair to an extent. It should be born in mind, though, that in today's NHL, literally everyone plays at an exceptionally high caliber. The talent gap among players has closed considerably since Gretzky's days, and it continues to close. So the "dominance over his peers" argument used in favor of Gretzky's greatness is no longer entirely apt.

The talent gap has closed, which proves my point. It's because there is no one like Gretz today.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
The talent gap has closed, which proves my point. It's because there is no one like Gretz today.

With the way goal tending and defensive systems are Gretzky wouldn't be Gretzky in today's game. Don't care who thinks otherwise. Nutrition and modern equipment and training wouldn't make up for that either.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I love how much he has elevated his play down the stretch. Almost like he was pacing himself mid season like a vet would.

This is a major thing for him. Got that killer instinct. A top player is facing us and doing well? McDavid has the drive to outshine him and out play him. Happened when Pittsburgh came here recently, happened last night

Probably game of the season and he gets a point on ALL our goals. Down the stretch hes been near 2 ppg

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
With the way goal tending and defensive systems are Gretzky wouldn't be Gretzky in today's game. Don't care who thinks otherwise. Nutrition and modern equipment and training wouldn't make up for that either.

I agree. That's doesn't invalidate my point.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

I guess the other way to look at it would be if you put McDavid back in 1980 even with a tree for a stick and less training/nutrition, he'd probably put up 300 points. No joke.

Those goalies would let in goals on probably 3 out of every 5 McDavid rushes with that speed and stick handling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad