Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part V: Super Sophomore

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Have people seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCh4azcbw5c

Never noticed that, is that a thing?

haha, I totally noticed this especially last year and somewhat earlier this year! Though I really only noticed it on the PP. Good thing Klef is on Mcdavid's unit now. It was driving me INSANE how Seks would keep looking off Mcdavid on the PP and passing it to the other half boards when Connor was WIDE open with tons of ice to work with! He kept doing it! Don't know WTF was up with that. I even remember in one sequence earlier this year Mcdavid switched to the other half boards where Seks kept passing to instead of to Mcdavid side and Seks deliberately passed to the back to Mcdavid's side where he wasn't anymore and Drai was!

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Gretzky had 153 points in those 51 games too.

I wonder what McDavid could have done when talent gaps were wide, goaltending was a complete joke and nothing resembling the trap existed.

Dude is basically twice as fast as anyone who played at that time.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I wonder what McDavid could have done when talent gaps were wide, goaltending was a complete joke and nothing resembling the trap existed.

Dude is basically twice as fast as anyone who played at that time.

Not fair, McDavid is pretty much the fastest player of all time.

And Coffey would likely still be a top 10 skater in the league.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAf1J7DjG2E

Not sure where this belongs, but I just saw it. Seems like a bizarre comment to me. Sekera makes odd decisions with the puck from time to time, but I've never got this impression from him. I also think he's been great this year. I'm inclined to just chalk it up to sports radio stupidity, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this?

edit: I see it's already been posted in here.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAf1J7DjG2E

Not sure where this belongs, but I just saw it. Seems like a bizarre comment to me. Sekera makes odd decisions with the puck from time to time, but I've never got this impression from him. I also think he's been great this year. I'm inclined to just chalk it up to sports radio stupidity, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this?

edit: I see it's already been posted in here.

Probably got that from watching 1 period of the Oilers and decided it's something that must always happen. Like the guy in the mains that said McDavid is a winger because he never goes below the dots in his own end, which he concluded after watching 1 period of Oilers hockey. Kinda funny, cause I have paid more attention to this since I saw it suggested and McDavid is helping the D down low all the time, more than I thought he actually did before I really paid attention.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Probably got that from watching 1 period of the Oilers and decided it's something that must always happen. Like the guy in the mains that said McDavid is a winger because he never goes below the dots in his own end, which he concluded after watching 1 period of Oilers hockey. Kinda funny, cause I have paid more attention to this since I saw it suggested and McDavid is helping the D down low all the time, more than I thought he actually did before I really paid attention.

It's probably to be expected with a player like McDavid. People who don't usually watch the Oilers will tune in and just watch McDavid and then come away with all kinds of conclusions based off of one game (or as you said, maybe even one period).

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I've noticed for a long time that Sekera basically does the exact opposite of what I think he should do.

Skate up ice now? No I'll go behind my net.

Pass to the left wing? No it's going right.

Drop pass? Slap shot.

Pass to anyone? Skate around in circles for 20 ****ing minutes to take a weak shot that actually goes in.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Getting to 100 points should win him the Hart. 11 points more than second place in the scoring race is huge.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Did he just have the best season every by a 19 year old? Gretz didn't lead the league, Crosby did by 4 points. Mario didn't (of course he had to go against gretz so not really fair).

Still, did we just see the best season ever by a 19 year old? kid is unreal.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Did he just have the best season every by a 19 year old? Gretz didn't lead the league, Crosby did by 4 points. Mario didn't (of course he had to go against gretz so not really fair).

Still, did we just see the best season every by a 19 year old? kid is unreal.

Gretzky 19/20 year old 2nd season he set the NHL Record for most points in a season and NHL record for most assists 164/109 this is also McDavids 19/20 year old season Gretzky was also 13 days younger than Mcdavid

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
For the Edm fans who witnessed #99 in his hay day and now Connor: Are they in the same level in some areas? How do you compare Connor to other EDM greats? More imporatantly: Does it feel that you have a new Gretzky in your team even though the points etc are not that close?

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Yay, I was guessing right. 100 pts. is huge in nowadays NHL. I'm sure this won't be McD's last Art Ross..

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00