Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part V: Super Sophomore

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Hey guys!

Long time lurker here. This kid man, he brings it all! He brings us all out of our seats, he brought me to buy a jersey (1st one since my blue 90's Koho Smytty with the driller guy on it) and brought me to make an account.

He is amazing!

Gotta say I didnt like the non-call on the pick and elbow to the face he recieved!

Playoffs (sorry, off topic :sarcasm:) baby wooooooooooooo!

Lets do this!

Welcome to the boards! I think you'll find you're maybe not alone here on your feelings on McDavid :sarcasm:

Exciting times for Oil Country!

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Hahahahahaha. I had the same thought earlier in the year! At first I was wondering why Sekera NEVER advances the puck at all. He ALWAYS opts to go D to D, or curl back into the zone and try again.

Marek is on to something, although I don't think it is exclusive to McDavid. Sekera DOES look off McDavid all the time, but he does the same to every forward in my opinion. He seems incapable of making quick decisions with the puck, and I believe quite a few posters brought the same thing up early into the season after we signed him. Pay close attention to him during a game, and you'll see he either is so indecisive that he can't make a quick pass, or he just prefers to slow the game down tremendously.

Not sure which, but I see it all the time too.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Hahahahahaha. I had the same thought earlier in the year! At first I was wondering why Sekera NEVER advances the puck at all. He ALWAYS opts to go D to D, or curl back into the zone and try again.

Marek is on to something, although I don't think it is exclusive to McDavid. Sekera DOES look off McDavid all the time, but he does the same to every forward in my opinion. He seems incapable of making quick decisions with the puck, and I believe quite a few posters brought the same thing up early into the season after we signed him. Pay close attention to him during a game, and you'll see he either is so indecisive that he can't make a quick pass, or he just prefers to slow the game down tremendously.

Marek is ********.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/apart-from-mcdavid-crosby-who-deserves-hart-nomination~1095304
f2iSwareM4c

One would think that this guy is the Art Ross, Hart and Lindsay winner. We'll see.

So happy to have him on our team.

Apparently that guy's skills transferred well to the NHL.

They look like Junior highlights FFS.

This guy Destroys!

I decided to look for something Destroys, but before I did I figured an old time favorite album. Every one of those tunes is good!

Some of the younger posters may want to check this **** out.

Sorry for veering off topic :laugh:

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I've noticed that the Oilers dmen very rarely give it to McDavid when he wheels around in his own zone, and I think it's by design. They usually throw it up to Drai or Maroon at centre, giving McDavid enough time to beat his guy and take the puck full stride. I don't think it's just Sekera, but I can see why someone would make that observation.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010

I'd love to know how he's gotten 35 points then.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Another article from the Globe and Mail about how McDavid is unquestionably the Hart winner.
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/sp...him-apart-in-hart-discussion/article34640141/

The Globe is as good an indicator for how eastern media will vote as any.

Definitely think the Hart is McDavid's at this point. McLellan is likely a finalist for the Adams. Don't think they are right about Talbot. Bobrovsky and Holtby should definitely be finalists with the Vezina going to one of the two. Third finalist will be among Price, Anderson or Dubnyk.

Prayfor97Preyfor97

Apr 6, 2017
Welcome to the boards! I think you'll find you're maybe not alone here on your feelings on McDavid :sarcasm:

Exciting times for Oil Country!

Heck Yeah!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/apart-from-mcdavid-crosby-who-deserves-hart-nomination~1095304

One would think that this guy is the Art Ross, Hart and Lindsay winner. We'll see.

So happy to have him on our team.

Funny thing, in the highlights from this year video, there was an assist from Sekera! I think it was around 3:30. Conspiracy busted! :D

Last edited:

chicago oiler

Jul 17, 2010
It's sad that both Marek and Wyshinsky have decided to get so weird about the Oilers. Not sure what's driving that.

I used to listen to their podcast fairly frequently, but now I've abandoned it completely.

It's a shame, because it's hard to find good hockey podcasts/radio that don't sound like they're hosted by massive troglodytes.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
It's sad that both Marek and Wyshinsky have decided to get so weird about the Oilers. Not sure what's driving that.

I used to listen to their podcast fairly frequently, but now I've abandoned it completely.

It's a shame, because it's hard to find good hockey podcasts/radio that don't sound like they're hosted by massive troglodytes.

Wysh is a click baiting troll, he knows the Oilers have a huge following and attacks them relentlessly to drive traffic.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Have people seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCh4azcbw5c

Never noticed that, is that a thing?

Yes it is absolutely a thing but not all the time. I notice when Sekera skates the puck out of the defensive zone he'll usually pass the puck to any forward in the neutral zone other than McDavid. I notice this because it pisses me off as to why you would want Maroon carrying the puck into the offensive zone instead of a wide open Mcdavid. Marek isn't completely right or wrong.

Now with that being said I have seen Sekera pass the puck to Mcdavid during many other situations.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010

I quit listening after the episode last summer when they mocked the Oilers for overpaying Lucic because, 'its the only way to get players to go to Edmonton' and basically laughed at Lucic for saying the new arena and McDavid were reasons why he chose Edmonton.

That was bad enough... but they then literally a second later were praising Buffalo for signing Okposo. which was basically the exact same contract to a player who is the same age and has never been as good as Lucic.

They're either idiots or trolls.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Outlet pass is usually from D to winger. No surprise that McDavid waits for the second pass so he can receive it in-stride as he enters the zone. Marek should know better than this.

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
So during the today's Rangers/Senators game, Ron MacLean seems to be pushing hard that McDavid is the obvious MVP.
During the 2nd intermission of that game, they showed this McDavid highlight package. Mostly his goals, but some other stuff as well.

Also during the first intermission, Friedman was talking about how Karlsson pushed himself into the Hart discussion, but MacLean eventually shut him down saying something like "We all know McDavid is gonna win the MVP".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad