Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part V: Super Sophomore

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Last 3 seasons a player has topped 90 points twice. Kane once and Crosby once.

McDavid will need to play 80+ games to hit 90 and even if he does stay healthy all year I'm not sure he'll be able to get it done.

I think he'll hit 80-85 assuming he plays most of the season. Right around top 5 in league scoring.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
If he plays a full schedule, he's more than capable. So, I'm going to say yes...

but wouldn't be surprised if he hits 97 points by game 80, rests the final 2 in advance of the Oilers 1st. Playoff appearance in a decade as the 2nd Wild Card team playing the #1 seed. And that will ultimately be more important to him than cracking the 100 pt. plateau.

McDavid is all about team.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I believe he's definitely going to hit 90, and 100 is possible. I'll say yes, baby.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I hope so but I think 100 is still a bit too optimistic this early in his career.

If he stays healthy I think 85-90 is what you get.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
nope...still don't have a puck-mover from the backend that can transition the puck to Connor and let him do his thing...

Connor is going to have to mostly generate offence with his wingers and that means less points (since offense from the defense is non-existent)

90 points tops

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If McDavid was in the Eastern Conference he would get around 90-100
I think he gets 80 points this season in the tough and physical Western Conference

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't see him playing 82 games.

Even if he does the other issue is how is he going to do in a full NHL season. It's one thing to have a break and be full of energy, but with the World Cup of Hockey and a full pro season I think he could slow down at times.

I'd also add the fact that only Kane and Crosby once have had over 90(100 as well) since the lockout really shows you how hard it really is to hit those numbers.

If he does then wow.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I got a bad feeling McDavid is going to sustain a long term injury in World cup or in preseason. So unfounded but just had it for a while

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
I think we need a true 40+ point pp qb for him to hit 100+. Seeing we don't really have one of those, I find it unlikely. I do expect ~90 though.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
nope...still don't have a puck-mover from the backend that can transition the puck to Connor and let him do his thing...

Connor is going to have to mostly generate offence with his wingers and that means less points (since offense from the defense is non-existent)

90 points tops

Imagine if they got a D man who's really good in his own zone and and really good at passing the puck....

Oh wait they did

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If we are including the playoffs games then yes McDavid will score 100+ next season ;)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think we need a true 40+ point pp qb for him to hit 100+. Seeing we don't really have one of those, I find it unlikely. I do expect ~90 though.

McDavid is THE PPQB..
He will have good options this season.. Puljujarvi on the far side, Lucic\Maroon in front, Klefbom\Davidson on the point.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
I voted yes, Cause he's McJesus. Is this the year the goalies get smaller equipment?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
McDavid is THE PPQB..
He will have good options this season.. Puljujarvi on the far side, Lucic\Maroon in front, Klefbom\Davidson on the point.

Yeah I never understood why people think we need a PP QB when it always has been McDavid. All we need is a capable shot from the point that can get pucks through. Maybe the 2nd unit could use one to assist Nuge/Draisaitl, but thats about it. Everything runs through McDavid on the first unit and he opens up so much space all by himself.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
you're right, thats why he has so many assists and NJ scored a ton of goals

oh wait, he doesn't

Not hard to imagine why when you look at their forward group and play style last season. If you don't think that Larsson has a good outlet pass then I think that tells us about all we need to know about how many games of his you've watched.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Not hard to imagine why when you look at their forward group and play style last season. If you don't think that Larsson has a good outlet pass then I think that tells us about all we need to know about how many games of his you've watched.

I didn't say that...I'm saying he's not an offensive defenseman that generates points.

not say he can't be more than he is cause I think he'll get more PP time here but the guy isn't going to be a 35+ point defenseman a la Giordano, Brodie, Barrie, Karlsson etc..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad