Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part V: Super Sophomore

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
They mentioned on the broadcast that on his 14 game point streak to close out the season McDavid put up 25pts.

That means he was a 75 pts on March 14th, and that he just decided he was going to get to 100. What a player, what a season.

Can't express how happy I am he's an Oiler.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
For the Edm fans who witnessed #99 in his hay day and now Connor: Are they in the same level in some areas? How do you compare Connor to other EDM greats? More imporatantly: Does it feel that you have a new Gretzky in your team even though the points etc are not that close?

I've been comparing certain McDavid qualities to Gretz since the day I saw him in Juniors. Nothings really changed my mind. Not comparing the 2 as equals or anything, just the in game qualities. McDavid is his own thing though, so players in the future will be compared to him (if possible). He's pretty much set a new standard of greatness IMO.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I've been comparing certain McDavid qualities to Gretz since the day I saw him in Juniors. Nothings really changed my mind. Not comparing the 2 as equals or anything, just the in game qualities. McDavid is his own thing though, so players in the future will be compared to him (if possible). He's pretty much set a new standard of greatness IMO.

This. Oiler fans better get used to good players being compared to McDavid as the golden standard (as was done for Crosby past 10 years). I still see on Twitter Oiler fans getting into exchanges with people comparing Matthews or Eichel or whomever to McDavid, Oiler fans better get used to it

On a simnialr but different note, Crosby got a rough, rough ride from other fans thru the years. Basically one of most hated players because he was the best. McDavid is pretty well regarded now, but it 1 or 2 years this guy is going to be despised by other fans out of jealousy. Plus hes in a Canadian market too

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Why did I doubt McDavid? I predicted sub 90 points, like Crosby who only had 89.

So happy for the boys! And Maroon because he didn't ruin 100 pts now!

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
This. Oiler fans better get used to good players being compared to McDavid as the golden standard (as was done for Crosby past 10 years). I still see on Twitter Oiler fans getting into exchanges with people comparing Matthews or Eichel or whomever to McDavid, Oiler fans better get used to it

On a simnialr but different note, Crosby got a rough, rough ride from other fans thru the years. Basically one of most hated players because he was the best. McDavid is pretty well regarded now, but it 1 or 2 years this guy is going to be despised by other fans out of jealousy. Plus hes in a Canadian market too

Yup, people are going to despise McDavid, the Oilers, and their fans. It will get WAY worse when the team starts winning Cups and people moan about the lottery and luck etc. Enjoy it. Revel in it. It's going to be glorious.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Why did I doubt McDavid? I predicted sub 90 points, like Crosby who only had 89.

So happy for the boys! And Maroon because he didn't ruin 100 pts now!

Maroon saved 100 points. 101 points on the season? lame. 100 on the dot- very cool

Maroon knew what he was doing

snag

Feb 22, 2014
So cool he is the only one to crack 100 with more than a whole decade between him and the next guys.

Congrats McDavid on a 1100100 point season:yo: Much more impressive looking at it that way ;)

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Gretzky 19/20 year old 2nd season he set the NHL Record for most points in a season and NHL record for most assists 164/109 this is also McDavids 19/20 year old season Gretzky was also 13 days younger than Mcdavid

Are you sure, I think your wrong. Gretz and McDavid were both born in Jan and I am sure Gretz played his first pro year in the WHA, so his 19-20 year (his NHL rookie year) was his 137 point year when he tied for the league lead.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Are you sure, I think your wrong. Gretz and McDavid were both born in Jan and I am sure Gretz played his first pro year in the WHA, so his 19-20 year (his NHL rookie year) was his 137 point year when he tied for the league lead.

Pretty sure the year he played in the WHA was as a 17 year old. He was born in 61, so 79-80 (his rookie season) would be his 18/19 y/o season.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Pretty sure the year he played in the WHA was as a 17 year old. He was born in 61, so 79-80 (his rookie season) would be his 18/19 y/o season.

ya, you must be correct. I always heard that Gretz didn't play his rookie year in the NHL, just assumed that would be his 18-19 year, but ya, he did play his 18-19 year in the NHL. Crazy then. Guy was unreal.

Puts McDavid close though, which is amazing still. McDavid had 1.12 times the next best, Gretz was 1.2 that year. Any way, no one will reach a conclusion as differnt eras are impossible to compare, but any way, did not realize that.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
This is a generally fun read, but ends with a short bit on McDavid:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/roman-josi-nashville-predators-elite-101/

The money quote:
"I already can tell that he’s a really special player because he does everything at a completely different speed. It’s not just his straight-line speed. Yes, he has the ability to pick the puck up in the neutral zone and beat you on the outside. But his stickhandling and vision and reading of the play are all cranked up to a different speed, too. The combination allows him to do things that you rarely see."

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
McDavid is amazing but last years' playoffs really showed how difficult it is for top players to take over the game these days. It's such a team game in the playoffs that even players like Crosby struggled to really mark their dominance.

That being said, there's no player ever like McDavid. He's the fastest and most exciting of all time.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i kinda feel bad for the rest of the league. McDavid put up 100pts in a season where he had a sophmore slump, next year we are looking at 246ish points.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00