Player Discussion: Connor Hellebuyck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Hellebuyck is a very good goalie, but I don't think this is going to last. He's been getting a few bounces. When those start going the other way, I expect people to start demanding his head again... ;)
People should just look at his last 100 games and expect that sv% over the next 100.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
People should just look atbhis last 100 games and expect that sv% over the next 100.
Hellebuyck last 100 regular season games:

- 5v5 SV%: .927 (15th among goalies with 1500 TOI)
- All situations SV%: .918 (13th)
- GSAA/60 (all situations): 0.27 (13th)

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Edit: Wait - this isn't quite apples-to-apples...I filtered by last 129 team games to get Hellebuyck's last 100 games, but most goalies in that sample played far fewer than 100 games (only 3 played that many out of their teams' last 129 games: Jones, Hellebuyck and Bobrovsky).

If we go with goalies who've played at least 100 games in the past 3 years, Hellebuyck's all-situations rankings:
SV% - 7th
GSAA/60 - 6th

Last edited:
Reactions: Halberdier

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Great times isn’t it. My favourite part of this year, aside from winning, is watching Helly prove people wrong and this thread (and the Laine thread) getting quieter and quieter........
And the coaching thread
Winning fixes things

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
3hyjxa.jpg

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I think Jets fans are so traumatized by the Pavelec era that they see Pavelec behind every stone and shadow. Safe to say that predictions of him being a "slightly better Pavelec" and calls of "should of start Brossoit" look wrong now.

Reactions: SLAYER

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
If I recall down the stretch two years ago and the playoffs he was mediocre. He was 'okay' but definitely didn't steal any games. This year he is easily stealing games for us. If you want to win the cup you need a goalie to steal the odd game for you, ala Binnington last year.
Not sure where you get this idea that Hellebuyck was "mediocre" down the stretch of the 2017-18 season. His record in March/April 2017-18:

Record: 12-2-1
Saving %: 0.931

Then again, you had stated Hellebuyck did not play well in the playoffs, when he finished with a 0.922% average, and played amazing. On a side not, Hellebuyck had better stats than Binnington in the series vs the Blues, and is once again outplaying Binnington this season.

Reactions: rubikscube

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
When I need a laugh, I come to this thread and read some of the posts from the off season and most of last season.

Pure gold.

True.

Then again, what to do with a goalie who has decided to have:

Crappy/mediocre 16-17
Amazing 17-18, Vezina finalist, NHL win record for a US goalie
Mediocre 18-19 with crappy start
Amazing 19-20 so far

It's like this Helle can't decide whether he is a star goalie or a worse than average starter.

This season he is in a beast mode, so I have full confidence on him. It's just Chevy's task to hire a decent backup for 20-21 ;-)

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
True.

Then again, what to do with a goalie who has decided to have:

Crappy/mediocre 16-17
Amazing 17-18, Vezina finalist, NHL win record for a US goalie
Mediocre 18-19 with crappy start
Amazing 19-20 so far

It's like this Helle can't decide whether he is a star goalie or a worse than average starter.

This season he is in a beast mode, so I have full confidence on him. It's just Chevy's task to hire a decent backup for 20-21 ;-)
Here’s the thing, a lot of people weren’t just criticizing his poor play. The fact he was inconsistent last year was pretty obvious. But this thread is littered with comments along the lines of him being more average than good, Chevy overpaid just like he did with Pavelec, he had one lucky year and last year was the real Connor Hellebuyck, he’s not a “clutch” goalie and more than a few calls to trade him while they could and sign Brossoit long term, as he was the better goalie.

Like I said, pure gold.

Reactions: Halberdier

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
upload_2019-12-10_8-17-38.png

Highest GSAA playing in front of a team with highest xGA allowed (cumulative)

guy has been our MVP

Reactions: hn777

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Not sure where you get this idea that Hellebuyck was "mediocre" down the stretch of the 2017-18 season. His record in March/April 2017-18:

Record: 12-2-1
Saving %: 0.931

Then again, you had stated Hellebuyck did not play well in the playoffs, when he finished with a 0.922% average, and played amazing. On a side not, Hellebuyck had better stats than Binnington in the series vs the Blues, and is once again outplaying Binnington this season.

My mistake on the part about down the stretch. Despite the numbers he let in numerous soft goals. Binnington stole games, Helle didn't, that was the difference.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Here’s the thing, a lot of people weren’t just criticizing his poor play. The fact he was inconsistent last year was pretty obvious. But this thread is littered with comments along the lines of him being more average than good, Chevy overpaid just like he did with Pavelec, he had one lucky year and last year was the real Connor Hellebuyck, he’s not a “clutch” goalie and more than a few calls to trade him while they could and sign Brossoit long term, as he was the better goalie.

Like I said, pure gold.

I'm more than happy to be wrong for once. I absolutely disliked Helle the past few years and he has been outstanding this year.
The "pure gold" would have been if he played like this in the playoffs the last two years and we'd have a cup. I don't know why you think it's funny he was mediocre in two consecutive playoffs, and some people were down on him for the numerous soft goals he let in. People had every right to lose faith in him.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
My mistake on the part about down the stretch. Despite the numbers he let in numerous soft goals. Binnington stole games, Helle didn't, that was the difference.
Does that make Helly a bad goalie would he have needed to steal games if everyone else did their jobs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad