Player Discussion: Connor Hellebuyck

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
55/27. I'll keep pounding that drum until someone makes it into a t-shirt slogan.

The thing you have to factor in as well is that the league average save percent was higher during his time, so he was even farther below the grade. All in all, he was about a 2nd percentile goalie relative to league averages over his career. A true degenerational talent.

I remember that lawless told me on the radio I was clueless because I said on a call pavelec was garbage.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Except Mason played like **** so I don't see how that made Helly play better. I don't buy into the "pushed with competition" business. Helly is going to have good games and bad games, and it has nothing to do with Brossoit. He knows he's the starter and that won't change short of an extended run of disastrous games, which is unlikely. So, it comes down to how much can Helly motivate himself to be physically and mentally prepared for each start.

I don't know if I buy what your selling ? -- but I have noticed how well Helle plays after Maurice starts Brossoit, and Brossoit plays really well. I do think it motivates Helle -- but I do see your point. As they say, I guess we'd have to agree to disagree.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
So, can someone rename the thread to 'Let's debate the definition of Clutch' please. Thanks in advance.

The only useful one is to weight the impact of a score-altering event by how it impacts win probabilities, from a scale of 0 (say, scoring or allowing a goal when one team is up by six goals with one second left) to 100 (an overtime goal). We can do this pretty darn precisely, MoneyPuck has a nice P(Win) tracker that even includes the changes in P(Win) if "this team scores next immediately" versus "other team scores next immediately".

There was an EXCEPTIONALLY well-written article in Rob Vollman's 2017 Hockey Abstract on this subject that covered the above methodology.

Reactions: Ducky10

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Yay for Helly, nay for Brossoit.

upload_2019-10-15_9-40-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-15_9-40-20.png
    upload_2019-10-15_9-40-20.png
    76.1 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Jets4Life

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Praise Helle! I read an article recently about Boston's platooning of goalies, and how it has helped over the past few seasons to elevate their team save % and their overall gameplay. Also noted the balanced distribution of TOI among forwards. IIRC, Rask played 42/46 games last year and this was essential to their playoff push.

Should we be aspiring to a more even distribution for Helle/Pastry, even though we might thereby be giving up points since H is clearly outplaying P, or do we ride the hot hand and risk burnout (or hope for a bounce back from Butters as he gets a chance to dial in)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->