Player Discussion: Connor Hellebuyck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Hellebuyck is a very good goalie, but I don't think this is going to last. He's been getting a few bounces. When those start going the other way, I expect people to start demanding his head again... ;)
Or he may put up the same numbers if Morrissey picks up his game. Beaulieu has already been better than the guy he replaced so maybe that will help numbers.

Reactions: Jets4Life

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Or he may put up the same numbers if Morrissey picks up his game. Beaulieu has already been better than the guy he replaced so maybe that will help numbers.
Yeah better defense will theoretically limit chances. I think they've taken some steps in the right direction recently. Let's hope it continues.

Reactions: GNP

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Confirms observations by some here that our early success is greatly influenced by exceptional goaltending.

This is most likely to revert somewhat over time.

Great for Helly

He has been elite in all leagues he has played.

If he does have a stretch when he becomes mortal.
I hope it coincide with Laine super saiyan month. So Jets can pump in the goals....

Reactions: Eyeseeing

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I haven't been a huge Helle fan these past couple years but he has been unreal. Hopefully he keeps it up.

I was also questioning his abilities after last season and early in this year.
If he can keep up this play he will mask the weak team defence in front of him although Copp made a huge play at the end of the game and there were a few shifflee sightings in the d zone.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I was also questioning his abilities after last season and early in this year.
If he can keep up this play he will mask the weak team defence in front of him although Copp made a huge play at the end of the game and there were a few shifflee sightings in the d zone.
I take it you’re not questioning his ability as much.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Updated Hellebuyck stats 2019-20:

Record: 10-6-1
Wins: 10 (2nd in NHL)
GAA: 2.35 (6th in NHL)
Saving %: 0.935 (4th in NHL)
And of course he gets no love on the central boards even though players with less to show this season are getting far more love.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
He's been terrific.

My concern is that, as in previous years, he gets overplayed to the extent that he burns out with plenty of the season left to play. I get the "hot hand" thing, but not at the expense of Helle playing himself into the ground by February/March, especially if we're looking to resign Brossoit (maybe we aren't).

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hellebuyck is a very good goalie, but I don't think this is going to last. He's been getting a few bounces. When those start going the other way, I expect people to start demanding his head again... ;)

Helle has been outstanding, but he has also had a lot of luck. The way he is playing, I think he will still be doing very well when the bounces average out. I hope that by then our D is playing better. But if he is still playing at an outstanding level and we are losing some people will still be on him.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Goaltending just like scoring does require a little luck but Helly is not over committing or going down too early . He's playing his angles well and staying concentrated on the puck . Sometimes you can do everything right and the puck still goes in but he is playing super right now . We have a few guys that should be scoring more so if Helly starts letting in a few more pucks hopefully they start putting the puck in the net and we can still win games .:thumbu:

Reactions: GNP

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I haven't been a huge Helle fan these past couple years but he has been unreal. Hopefully he keeps it up.

The year before last he was a Vezina finalist. I don't know how you could have not been a fan that year.

Last year was a little different. He started a little slowly and never looked quite as good as he had the year before. But sv% was down league wide last year and he improved steadily as the year progressed. By the end of the year he was in a 4 way tie for 12th in the league in sv% among goalies who played in at least 41 games. The 3 he was tied with were MAF, Dubnyk and Bobrovsky. Eleventh was Gibson and 16th was Rask. Pretty good company.

Considering the workload he has carried and the number and quality of shots he is facing, I think he is easily the top goalie in the league - so far.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Memba when the debate was how bad his contract was?

Pepper ridge farms Membas

I really think whoever talked about the equipment changes last year affecting his game had it bang on.

I was just about to post the same thing about his contract. If this is what we can expect going forward, even with a little regression, that contract is a steal.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
He's been terrific.

My concern is that, as in previous years, he gets overplayed to the extent that he burns out with plenty of the season left to play. I get the "hot hand" thing, but not at the expense of Helle playing himself into the ground by February/March, especially if we're looking to resign Brossoit (maybe we aren't).

Yep, my feeling is that in his Vezina finalist year, he got burned out at the WCF stage. That's why to me, his play in the WCF was so poor. [Not saying it's a done deal Jets will make WCF this year or Helle will again be a Vezina finalist, but those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it...]

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
The year before last he was a Vezina finalist. I don't know how you could have not been a fan that year.

Last year was a little different. He started a little slowly and never looked quite as good as he had the year before. But sv% was down league wide last year and he improved steadily as the year progressed. By the end of the year he was in a 4 way tie for 12th in the league in sv% among goalies who played in at least 41 games. The 3 he was tied with were MAF, Dubnyk and Bobrovsky. Eleventh was Gibson and 16th was Rask. Pretty good company.

Considering the workload he has carried and the number and quality of shots he is facing, I think he is easily the top goalie in the league - so far.

If I recall down the stretch two years ago and the playoffs he was mediocre. He was 'okay' but definitely didn't steal any games. This year he is easily stealing games for us. If you want to win the cup you need a goalie to steal the odd game for you, ala Binnington last year.

I hope he can keep this up, we get Buff situation sorted, Heinola for playoffs and it could be a fun run.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If I recall down the stretch two years ago and the playoffs he was mediocre. He was 'okay' but definitely didn't steal any games. This year he is easily stealing games for us. If you want to win the cup you need a goalie to steal the odd game for you, ala Binnington last year.

I hope he can keep this up, we get Buff situation sorted, Heinola for playoffs and it could be a fun run.
That team didn't require the goalie to steal games. This team does.

Garret suggested that the way to figure out how many extra wins Hellebuyck is worth this year is to take his GSAA and divide by 5. That means he's been good for 2 extra wins. The Jets would be 11-10-1 right now - tied with Calgary, a point behind the 2nd WC. And I think that's a conservative estimate, considering the number of 1-goal games the Jets have been in...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Players are not as consistent as you seem to expect - especially goalies. Goalies will steal you a game once in a while but if your strategy is counting on that you will be disappointed.

I think the chances of him keeping this up are slim. Even if he is the best goalie in the world he will have some ups and downs.

Personally, I am not counting on any resolution to the Buff situation on any particular time scale. It will happen when it happens. I don't expect it to make any difference for this year when it does happen.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Daily Goalie Charts | Charting Hockey

Jets right now:

1516896042-20180125.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events