Player Discussion: Connor Hellebuyck

Status
Not open for further replies.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He does not admit to himself that he makes mistakes or is capable of playing bad.
He can not grow if he is a know it all.

He got a big payday and he just expects to play every game regardless of his awful play that kills the team's momentum.

Reactions: sipowicz and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think Helle plays best when he is challenged for the net --he seems a lot more intense and plays better. He's not played well all year-ranked 35-th of all Goalies, and worse after tonight.

I'd like to see Brossoit get at least half of the games, but I understand Helle wants to play all 82 games.

Maurice should call the shots --and split the Goaltending duties until Helle earns his right back to start most of the games.

Let's not forget here - Brossoit is ranked the # 1 Goaltender in all of the NHL--with a Save Percentage of .955 % . This Brossoit guy is "great."

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
He does not admit to himself that he makes mistakes or is capable of playing bad.
He can not grow if he is a know it all.

He got a big payday and he just expects to play every game regardless of his awful play that kills the team's momentum.
As evidenced by how he made no change in his game from two seasons ago to last season.

Reactions: blues10 and Goggins

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
As evidenced by how he made no change in his game from two seasons ago to last season.

By his arrogance in interviews after losses and his its no big deal attitude.

Even when Vegas scored on him in the playoffs it was either considered a lucky bounce or just bad luck.
smh

He needs to own up to his bad play and not hog the net.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
By his arrogance in interviews after losses and his its no big deal attitude.

Even when Vegas scored on him in the playoffs it was either considered a lucky bounce or just bad luck.
smh

He needs to own up to his bad play and not hog the net.
And yet, despite that arrogance in interviews after losses and no big deal attitude, he has already shown that he is willing to put in a ton of work to change his game if he's not getting the job done. You know, like he did before last season.

Reactionary thread. The hot takes in this one will be absolutely volcanic I imagine.
Well, this place wouldn't be the same without overreactions, would it? ;)

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
And yet, despite that arrogance in interviews after losses and no big deal attitude, he has already shown that he is willing to put in a ton of work to change his game if he's not getting the job done. You know, like he did before last season.

Well, this place wouldn't be the same without overreactions, would it? ;)

Last season was last season and it means nothing now.

He is not consistent this season and his play has been awful at times.
One game he looks great and the next he can not stop a beach ball.

How can the fans or the Jets team be confident in him with that type of play especially after paying him that big contract.

Reactions: GNP and Larabee

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Last season was last season and it means nothing now.

He is not consistent this season and his play has been awful at times.
One game he looks great and the next he can not stop a beach ball.

How can the fans or the Jets team be confident in him with that type of play especially after paying him that big contract.
Of course it does when you claim that his attitude will stop him from growing? When he has already shown that he's capable of growing with that attitude?

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
I would put Brossoit in front of the net a little more, just to keep Hellebuyck on his toes. Nothing wrong with a little competition, especially when Brossoit so far has played good.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Of course it does when you claim that his attitude will stop him from growing? When he has already shown that he's capable of growing with that attitude?

He is regressing this season and he is lucky to have the record that he has with all the Jets goal support.
Look at his current save percentage if you want proof.

And yet he still wants all the starts when the back up is outplaying him.

He needs an attitude adjustment by the coach and to be humbled by sitting him a few games.

Reactions: GNP

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I would put Brossoit in front of the net a little more, just to keep Hellebuyck on his toes. Nothing wrong with a little competition, especially when Brossoit so far has played good.
That, and based on recent trends it's a pretty bad idea to wear down your starter during the regular season by playing him close to 70 games.

He is regressing this season and he is lucky to have the record that he has with all the Jets goal support.
Look at his current save percentage if you want proof.

And yet he still wants all the starts when the back up is outplaying him.

He needs an attitude adjustment by the coach and to be humbled by sitting him a few games.
Of course he wants all the starts. Have you ever heard of a goalie who doesn't?

Your original comment was nonsense, unless you're either saying that this attitude is one that Hellebuyck only has had this season.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
2016-2017 Hellysuck has been on full display for pretty much this entire season and the Jets have pretty much outshot the opposition in every game they've played this season, guy with the mask hasn't lived up to his position as the supposed #1 netminder!

.909 SV. % isn't getting it done and the guy is playing behind a pretty darn good defence, beginning to really look like Helly is really a sub. .910 netminder!

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
That, and based on recent trends it's a pretty bad idea to wear down your starter during the regular season by playing him close to 70 games.

Of course he wants all the starts. Have you ever heard of a goalie who doesn't?

Your original comment was nonsense, unless you're either saying that this attitude is one that Hellebuyck only has had this season.

I do not drink Hellebuyck's Kool Aid.
His attitude has been arrogant ever since last season.

I currently have very little confidence in him right now and his ability to take us into the playoffs based on his inconsistency this season.

Reactions: sipowicz and GNP

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I do not drink Helleybuck's Kool Aid.
His attitude has been arrogant ever since last season.

I currently have very little confidence in him right now and his ability to take us into the playoffs based on his inconsistency.
I am willing to bet his attitude didn't change last season. Mostly because I vividly remember these exact nonsense claims about his arrogance and inability to change in his first full season with the Jets.

That just doesn't fit your argument that his arrogance will stop him from growing as a goalie, so it works better if you claim that his arrogance started last season.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I am willing to bet his attitude didn't change last season. Mostly because I vividly remember these exact nonsense claims about his arrogance and inability to change in his first full season with the Jets.

That just doesn't fit your argument that his arrogance will stop him from growing as a goalie, so it works better if you claim that his arrogance started last season.

I can at least admit when he sucks and will not make excuses for him when he sucks.

He is stinking up the net right now and he needs to let the back up start.

Reactions: GNP

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Reactionary thread. The hot takes in this one will be absolutely volcanic I imagine.

A reactionary thread would have been this post after he stunk the joint out against Vegas.

I do want to thank you though for your particularly caliente take. You've added a lot for us to consider and debate to this discussion.

That was sarcasm .

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I can at least admit when he sucks and will not make excuses for him when he sucks.

He is stinking up the net right now and he needs to let the back up start.
Okay?

That much is quite clear. I never said that you're too lenient in your critique. I said your claim that his arrogance will stop him from growing is provably nonsense.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
This post game interview is a classic.
Just to make sure we're on the same page, this was toward the end of a season which was a significant improvement for Hellebuyck over his previous NHL performance, which shows that his arrogance indeed doesn't stop him from growing as a player, correct?

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
I seriously believe that his attitude doesn’t affect his ability to catch pucks. He is probably feeling the pressure but doesn’t want to show it.

Helly (and his caphit) is crucial for Cup run.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Just to make sure we're on the same page, this was toward the end of a season which was a significant improvement for Hellebuyck over his previous NHL performance, which shows that his arrogance indeed doesn't stop him from growing as a player, correct?

We all want him to grow as a player especially since we have him locked up for so long.
The sad thing is that he is actually regressing.

Confidence and a proper mental mindset are huge part of the game.
If what he thinks he is currently doing on the ice is somehow Vezina worthy then he is quite delusional and a liability to the team.

Reactions: sipowicz

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Hellebuyck will be fine.

Question: Is this thread made if he didn’t play so poorly tonight?

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Enh, IMO this is ridiculous. Just because you use anger and disappointment to motivate yourself doesn't mean everyone else should.

In fact, people who motivate themselves through extreme emotional reactions tend to be pretty ineffectual in pursuits that require precision and consistency. Especially in the long run.

And the idea that Hellebuyck has not evolved as a goaltender since entering the league is utterly laughable. I mean, I don’t even know how the average fan would go about evaluating that? The variation that differentiates goaltenders in this league is so minute that to actually see the changes one would essentially have to rewatch every single game with an iso goalie cam. Watching goals and big saves, and looking at stats, gives you zero understanding of what is actually going on with a goaltender’s game.

And to close, the idea that Brossoit is in any way a solution is beyond laughable. And tonight’s makes that pretty clear. Even in a game where Hellebuyck got pulled early, Brossoit still managed to give up the second worst goal of the night in terms of fundamentals. The Gaudreau shortside goal is not one an NHL goaltender should be giving up. Which is not to say I don’t like the guy. He is a perfectly fine backup goaltender at the NHL level, perhaps even a little more than just fine. But the idea he can even be a platoon starter is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->