Player Discussion: Connor Hellebuyck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Even when Hellebuyck is good, he doesn't particularly look so. So when he is bad, he looks really bad. He doesn't really have the acrobatic big saves in him, so when his fundamentals are lacking, he just looks slow, clumsy and downright bad. When he plays well, he's super calm and seemingly doesn't have to do much.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, we had Pavelec, who made aerobic saves and flopped around like a fish on dry land. ;)

Careers with the Jets organization:

Hellebuyck: 118-65-17, 2.66 GAA, 0.915%
Pavelec: 152-158-47, 2.87 GAA, 0.907%

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Helly will surprise people....again. He needs the competition. I’m glad coach is playing that card and so he should be. Complacency is no good. Make the goalies earn their starts, it’s whats best for both of them and the team. He responds well this year is my bet.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Helly will surprise people....again. He needs the competition. I’m glad coach is playing that card and so he should be. Complacency is no good. Make the goalies earn their starts, it’s whats best for both of them and the team. He responds well this year is my bet.

With the exception of putting in Comrie for a crucial game in March last season, Maurice has done a surprisingly good job of managing goaltending starts during his tenure in Winnipeg.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Helle was solid tonight, not many difficult saves but very solid. Well done

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Nice one hellboi.

Knew you were pissed when they tripped villeboi.

Jets need you big time this year, so our new D's on the block can do magic on transition offense.

Go Jets Go

Reactions: Evil Little

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
There were quite a few flurries of Grade A chances by the Wild down low. They had the Jets hemmed in a lot until that 4v4 broke the game open. Very good game by Hellebuyck.
Two Vezina-calibre games in a row according to the Hellebuyck Tracker Machine.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I don't think anyone is expecting Helly to get the next 77 starts. I think a target of 55-60 games seems about right.

i think the range should be 50-55, I don't see a good reason to play Brossoit only 22 games. Keep Hellebuyck fresh and motivated. It's also super early to declare this guy a Vezina candidate, so lets see how things progress

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
i think the range should be 50-55, I don't see a good reason to play Brossoit only 22 games. Keep Hellebuyck fresh and motivated. It's also super early to declare this guy a Vezina candidate, so lets see how things progress
I'm just happy with his play the last 2 games. I try not to get too involved in the goalie debate. I really like Brossoit and see him as the best backup we have ever had. If this pushes Helly to be better great. I'd be fine with a 50-32 split but I'm also okay 60-22 if we get strong goaltending along the way. 55 - 27 seems like a nice 2-1 split that should keep Helly fresh.

Reactions: GNP

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
He looked good last night. That's not saying anything about future but I think that's a good showing if he wants to get back to the form from the WCF run.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

55/27. I'll keep pounding that drum until someone makes it into a t-shirt slogan.

Wow PAVS sucked

The thing you have to factor in as well is that the league average save percent was higher during his time, so he was even farther below the grade. All in all, he was about a 2nd percentile goalie relative to league averages over his career. A true degenerational talent.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Such a very true post here. Helle needs to be pushed with some competition --just like when Mason was here, and he pushed Helle for his job, and Helle responded. I like the way Brossoit plays, and hope Maurice uses Brossoit, not only as a great backup, but someone that can push Helle, and get the best out of him.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Such a very true post here. Helle needs to be pushed with some competition --just like when Mason was here, and he pushed Helle for his job, and Helle responded. I like the way Brossoit plays, and hope Maurice uses Brossoit, not only as a great backup, but someone that can push Helle, and get the best out of him.

Except Mason played like shit so I don't see how that made Helly play better. I don't buy into the "pushed with competition" business. Helly is going to have good games and bad games, and it has nothing to do with Brossoit. He knows he's the starter and that won't change short of an extended run of disastrous games, which is unlikely. So, it comes down to how much can Helly motivate himself to be physically and mentally prepared for each start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->