Confirmed with Link: Complete Rebranding, New Logo, Arena Renovations & Vinikville - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Why shouldn't they? Wouldn't you be in a singing, happy mood if we just beast Boston in game 7?

Once the fanbase decides, it'll be a hard thing to change, especially since it's being held above as a thing they 'should' like.

My concern is that how long, should the crowd not buy-in, do you stick with it? With anthem singers you can pass the mic around, and we've already found one of special importance to the fanbase.

right place, right time.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
How the Lightning theme is not Thunderstruck by AC/DC is beyond me.

When they chant THUNDER could get the fans going. I've never been to a game in Tampa, so I guess I'm kind of unqualified to talk about it.

I don't understand it, either. Such an easy song to get hyped to, and everyone knows the words that count.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I know songs should come from fans. And you're right. But considering the fact that 200 people will look at you like you're stupid when you try to start a chant while being down in the scoreboard and the team would like to hear encouragment, there is no way in hell you're going to teach fellow fans a whole song on your own. That's why I suggest putting it on the big screen and however long it takes for fans to buy in is inconsequential. There's nothing special about yelling THUNDER after a goal. When you go 53-20-9 win the division and the air of a championship can be felt by the 19,204 in attendance in the last game of the season, any die hard will sing at the top of their lungs.

If you make something simple, catchy and resoundingly triumphant people will buy into it. We have a million dollar pipe organ that can lead the fans in unison and can become a gameday tradition. Vinik wants to establish a culture and a dynasty. What better way to do that than this? Every country in the world has an anthem, I feel like our team should.

All I can say is watch some European soccer and you'll see what I mean. If they can do it so can we. I don't buy that we need to be around longer. We have the support I just refuse to believe we are so prideless and stupid that we could win an important game and not want to celebrate in our own special way.

I know what I'm saying probably sounds silly but I love this team with all my heart and if they ever did this I would be one of those fans singing.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Once the fanbase decides, it'll be a hard thing to change, especially since it's being held above as a thing they 'should' like.

My concern is that how long, should the crowd not buy-in, do you stick with it? With anthem singers you can pass the mic around, and we've already found one of special importance to the fanbase.

right place, right time.

Right place right time is everything. I'm not saying do it now. But if we are better next year, win a playoff series, kick some butt in 2015 too let's throw it out there. People are going to be so crazy for this team by then. I say imagine singing after a big game. Imagine everyone singing together if we won a Stanley Cup again at home and the players skate about with the Cup over their heads to the sound of the Tampa faithful. Can you even IMAGINE what that would be like? Our players would be moved to tears not just because they won a championship.

You gotta stick with it and promote it. If the team sucks the idea will probably die out. If we are great I bet people will be more receptive to it.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
It's the opening song..or at least it was for years.

Pretty sure they play it directly after the final buzzer of a win, before the black eyed peas song. Orrrr they play it after a win when the players raise their sticks.

Can't recall which one, at the moment.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
They definetely play thunderstruck by ac/dc at the arena - this I know for a fact since I go to 10+ games per year. They don't play the words to the whole song but the music and the word Thunder definetly are played - LOUD & OFTEN. The majority of fans say Thunder and the words Thunder appear all accross the arena and the jumbotron in the middle of the ice when its time to say thunder.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Right place right time is everything. I'm not saying do it now. But if we are better next year, win a playoff series, kick some butt in 2015 too let's throw it out there. People are going to be so crazy for this team by then. I say imagine singing after a big game. Imagine everyone singing together if we won a Stanley Cup again at home and the players skate about with the Cup over their heads to the sound of the Tampa faithful. Can you even IMAGINE what that would be like? Our players would be moved to tears not just because they won a championship.

You gotta stick with it and promote it. If the team sucks the idea will probably die out. If we are great I bet people will be more receptive to it.

I enjoy this back and forth, but you said it would be easier to:
1. write a song that everyone will like
2. force fans into buying a foreign, potentially unwelcome concept
3. employ it at the right time
4. win to give something meaning that it didn't previously have

versus my concept of copycatting other teams in a copycat industry and:
1. Marshall Gillon and Les Sadler every game.

both of us are copying things, it's just a matter of who.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I enjoy this back and forth, but you said it would be easier to:
1. write a song that everyone will like
2. force fans into buying a foreign, potentially unwelcome concept
3. employ it at the right time
4. win to give something meaning that it didn't previously have

versus my concept of copycatting other teams in a copycat industry and:
1. Marshall Gillon and Les Sadler every game.

both of us are copying things, it's just a matter of who.

True enough. Well if they sing it before the games instead the pump up song like thunderstruck (whcih I have found gets ZERO reaction some nights) they'll get more people on board. Something simple but catchy. I write a lot and I'm curious of you opinion of how something like this sounds as a chorus. We of course let the professionals handle this but remember how Tim Taylor (at least I think I twas him) said if they won a cup they'd walk together forever? I always found that to be a magnificent quote and I think its something you can use.

And we will walk on together.
Bound by glory forever.
Proudly by your side.
We all wear the Lightning crest with pride.

I'm not gonna compose a whole song here but if done correctly I think the idea could be a hit.

I'm just glad you don't think I'm crazy for thinking of this, just overly ambitious with no real plan lol.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
True enough. Well if they sing it before the games instead the pump up song like thunderstruck (whcih I have found gets ZERO reaction some nights) they'll get more people on board. Something simple but catchy. I write a lot and I'm curious of you opinion of how something like this sounds as a chorus. We of course let the professionals handle this but remember how Tim Taylor (at least I think I twas him) said if they won a cup they'd walk together forever? I always found that to be a magnificent quote and I think its something you can use.

And we will walk on together.
Bound by glory forever.
Proudly by your side.
We all wear the Lightning crest with pride.

I'm not gonna compose a whole song here but if done correctly I think the idea could be a hit.

I'm just glad you don't think I'm crazy for thinking of this, just overly ambitious with no real plan lol.

As I've mentioned, I've given this idea quite a bit of thought in the past but couldn't quite crack it in a way that felt satisfactory.

The thing with me is to understand how the culture starts. Too many hockey fans jump to the Arbitrary Six era as the starting point of the NHL, and it absolutely wasn't. That was decades in. It's the boring, early years where the foundation was laid that needs to be examined. NYC wasn't a hockey town. The Canadiens didn't initially connect to Montrealers, Toronto named their team the St. Pats in order to attract the Irish, etc. Things that are taken for granted or just assumed to have always been that way.

What I don't know about soccer is it's history. I sort of get, or know where to find, how hockey and it's traditions caught on, but I don't know anything about European soccer, and I feel jumping to 1963 Liverpool for instance is too late in history. I'd want to see from the beginnings of association football and where the culture to support it came from. Without understanding the circumstances surrounding it's genesis, I don't see a way to replicate the outcome without dumb luck.

Last edited:

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
They already did the Hockey Paradise song and that was godawful. You can't force a song to happen. And a Liverpool like song would just be really hokey.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I actually really like this third jersey concept. What do you guys think?

http://www.icethetics.co/concepts/2014/6/4/striking

0605-nickburton-tbl.png

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
I like it. Kind of wild looking but that is the idea of third jerseys.

Same here, would be something completly new, but I am not 100% sure how it would look on a real jersey. But I really like the concept.

I am still hoping for the former Logo to come back on the third jersey. For me it's one of the best logos in sports (the one from 07 till 11)

Last edited:

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
I dont like the gradient either, its a clever fun idea but does not look like a professional sports teams jersey. It looks like a special nhl gimmick created jersey.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Smooth gradients like that are hallmarks of like, early 2000s graphic design software. I'd honestly prefer something damn near all-black. Maybe with a white logo and some blue piping somewhere.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I don't think the 3D font on the "C" and numbers matches the "flat" (2D, no outline) logos and player names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad