Confirmed with Link: Complete Rebranding, New Logo, Arena Renovations & Vinikville - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
It's going to be black! YES!

Then again, I'm an aesthetics junkie who is a member of a forum that obsesses over this stuff, so I've known that the current 3rd is going bye-bye and that the new 3rd would be black for a few months now. Credit to any others who already knew this as well.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
http://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...for-400-room-hotel-near-the-tampa-bay/2180954

Jeff Vinik's hockey team is in better shape, on and off the ice, and so is the arena it plays in. Now the Tampa Bay Lightning owner is ready to focus on his properties in the surrounding Channel District.

That's why he and his partners filed a rezoning application Thursday with the city to build a proposed 400-room hotel on a parking lot at the corner of S Florida Avenue and Old Water Street just west of the Tampa Bay Times Forum.

While Vinik's plans for this site were made public Thursday, Leiweke would not comment on the other 20 acres, which is north and east of the Times Forum.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

Then again, I'm an aesthetics junkie who is a member of a forum that obsesses over this stuff, so I've known that the current 3rd is going bye-bye and that the new 3rd would be black for a few months now. Credit to any others who already knew this as well.

:) i'm still waiting to see a few details to it (victory stripes, etc)

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach

What forum is this? I am an Art Major so I always am fascinated by this. Also like to dabble in some concepts when Im bored during the summer.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
So they are getting rid of the "bolts" jersey? I don't hate it. Don't particularly love it either. However wouldn't mind them wearing it once every blue moon.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo

it's rumored to be black is all i've ever seen.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Maybe they could get a new goal song too. :)

Oh please yes. The one we have now feels like nothing more than a cheap knock off of the rangers goal song. Something the crowd can chant to would be nice. It would be nice to have an anthem like how soccer teams in Europe do. Imagine winning a big game and then singing with 19,000 other people in the stands or hearing it echo throughout the concorses of the Tampa Bay Times Forum as you leave.

BergyMeister

Overpaid 4th liner
Mar 5, 2010
Tampa Via Vermont.
Maybe they could get a new goal song too. :)

This please!

This. Also, I'd really like to hear this when Hedman scores a goal:

Oh please yes. The one we have now feels like nothing more than a cheap knock off of the rangers goal song. Something the crowd can chant to would be nice. It would be nice to have an anthem like how soccer teams in Europe do. Imagine winning a big game and then singing with 19,000 other people in the stands or hearing it echo throughout the concorses of the Tampa Bay Times Forum as you leave.

I figured being the "new" guy I'd get destroyed for saying that. :) Imo it really isn't very good. I figured with the tesla coils and the whole "Be the Thunder" marketing thing it would be awesome.
I Youtubed it while riding in the car with my wife. After listening to it a couple of times she says to me, "Well that was a waste of data." :laugh:

I'm sure it will grow on us though. :)

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I figured being the "new" guy I'd get destroyed for saying that. :) Imo it really isn't very good. I figured with the tesla coils and the whole "Be the Thunder" marketing thing it would be awesome.
I Youtubed it while riding in the car with my wife. After listening to it a couple of times she says to me, "Well that was a waste of data." :laugh:

I'm sure it will grow on us though. :)
Absolutely not man. Be the thunder is a great campaign. The problem I have is the Forum atmosphere. Come playoff time its absolutely WILD! But regular season in a routine game vs the Panthers? Try starting a chant when they're down 2-1 with less than 5 to go in the game and the fans look at you like you're stupid. I seriously do not understand how people pay good money to come to a game and sit on their hands the whole night. Its like some of them forget that they're not in their living room. You're in the home of the Lightning. Its okay to be loud! Its not always like that but its embarrassing when the away fans are louder than we are. Playoffs are a different story but if we can get that every game, we will develop a reputation as the hardest arena to visit. I WANT that. If you're gonna be the thunder let's make some noise and be proud of it. We sell out the house but I know we can be louder.

A better goal song would be a good start to more noise.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Absolutely not man. Be the thunder is a great campaign. The problem I have is the Forum atmosphere. Come playoff time its absolutely WILD! But regular season in a routine game vs the Panthers? Try starting a chant when they're down 2-1 with less than 5 to go in the game and the fans look at you like you're stupid. I seriously do not understand how people pay good money to come to a game and sit on their hands the whole night. Its like some of them forget that they're not in their living room. You're in the home of the Lightning. Its okay to be loud! Its not always like that but its embarrassing when the away fans are louder than we are. Playoffs are a different story but if we can get that every game, we will develop a reputation as the hardest arena to visit. I WANT that. If you're gonna be the thunder let's make some noise and be proud of it. We sell out the house but I know we can be louder.

Making the playoffs on a regular basis would change a lot of that.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

The only time the away fans are louder is when teams like Detroit or Montreal are in town and all of the 364 day a year Bolts "fans" switch sweaters. I go to every home game and we get plenty loud, just hard to compete with half an arena of Detroit, Montreal or Toronto fans who were wearing Bolts blue just the day before.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Making the playoffs on a regular basis would change a lot of that.

Agreed that will help a lot. I just hope we can establish that kind of culture. There's nothing better I dream of than an enormous "TAAAMMMPAAAA BAAAAAYYYYY!" going from one side of the arena to the other during an away team time out. We have that potential and I hope one day we can do it.

The only time the away fans are louder is when teams like Detroit or Montreal are in town and all of the 364 day a year Bolts "fans" switch sweaters. I go to every home game and we get plenty loud, just hard to compete with half an arena of Detroit, Montreal or Toronto fans who were wearing Bolts blue just the day before.

Well they're in our division and we're going to face them a lot. Ottawa and Toronto fans are loud too. The worst used to be Buffalo around 2006. They'd get about 6,500 in the building and completely take over while their team would win 6-2. If we beat them they won't take over so much.

We CAN do it. We just have to win consistently and as fans and as a franchise to make a concerted effort to be the loudest building in the NHL. The Seattle Seahawks have taken the 12th man concept to a whole different universe and I think we can do the same. I think a good first step would be to have a team anthem play at the end of victories. I really think it'll bring us all together and grow the kind of culture Mr. Vinik is looking for. I will admit this is not my own idea. Liverpool FC football in the English league is another favorite team of mine and listening to You'll Never Walk Alone before the game is absolutely amazing. When you're at an English Pub and the people next to you are actual Liverpudlians singing next to you, you feel a brotherhood even though you're from different sides of the world. I'm a recent fan but feel like I've been watching my whole life. It's crazy.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Agreed that will help a lot. I just hope we can establish that kind of culture. There's nothing better I dream of than an enormous "TAAAMMMPAAAA BAAAAAYYYYY!" going from one side of the arena to the other during an away team time out. We have that potential and I hope one day we can do it.

Well they're in our division and we're going to face them a lot. Ottawa and Toronto fans are loud too. The worst used to be Buffalo around 2006. They'd get about 6,500 in the building and completely take over while their team would win 6-2. If we beat them they won't take over so much.

We CAN do it. We just have to win consistently and as fans and as a franchise to make a concerted effort to be the loudest building in the NHL. The Seattle Seahawks have taken the 12th man concept to a whole different universe and I think we can do the same. I think a good first step would be to have a team anthem play at the end of victories. I really think it'll bring us all together and grow the kind of culture Mr. Vinik is looking for. I will admit this is not my own idea. Liverpool FC football in the English league is another favorite team of mine and listening to You'll Never Walk Alone before the game is absolutely amazing. When you're at an English Pub and the people next to you are actual Liverpudlians singing next to you, you feel a brotherhood even though you're from different sides of the world. I'm a recent fan but feel like I've been watching my whole life. It's crazy.

I've spent some time thinking about team anthems and I don't see the way to get fans to adopt one in the sense you mean, especially as there's no preexisting culture for it in NA. At any rate, it has to be organic.

I'd contend that the closest thing in the NHL are in-house national anthem singers. We all know who Rene Rancort and Jim Corneilson are and know what narratives the media will frame them with if their team succeeds.

Kate Smith and now Ginette Reno have been short term performers, but are pretty big deals with fans of those teams.

Figure out what's in common with these markets:
Chicago - Jim Corneilson
Detroit - Karen Newman
Pittsburgh - Jim Jimmerson
Philly - Lauren Hart
Edmonton - Paul Lorieau and Oiler Nation
Ottawa - Lyndon Slewidge
Boston - Rene Rancort
Montreal (70's) - Roger Doucet

an individual singer associated with their team.

TB's would be Marshall Gillon & Les Sabler. No one in Lightning history gets the crowd going quite like them or are immediately associated with the team's success. When they're announced, you expect a ****ing win.

Having them every game would do more for establishing the team 'anthem' and culture than trying to force a song onto them.

Last edited:

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
John Amirante with the New York Rangers is another example of that.

Without a doubt, Jim Cornelison is my favorite anthem singer out there, at least on the American side of the border. I'm no 'Hawks fan but I get chills every time he gestures towards the flag. He's brilliant.

EDIT - here's another with O Canada as well.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I have something much easier than that. You simply have the Lightning produce the team fight song/anthem themselves and play it over the speaker after wins or before the game and you have the lyrics put on the big ass screen hanging over center ice. I'm not talking about O Canada or the Star Spangled Banner. You don't need some musician to start it off, you just play it for the season and by the end (ESPECIALLY if we have a great season and win the division) everyone will be so swelled up with pride they'll sing at the top of their lungs before they leave the stands after we win.

And not having history is hogwash. Since our inception we have continuously had some of the top players in the game on our roster wether it was Vinny, Marty, Richards, Puppa, Savard, and even Bradley was still a well respected player despite only being once an all star. Now we have Stamkos and another stud in Drouin. Not to mention a Cup and two separate statues of (Andy should be one) hall of famers in front of the arena. We've been a terrible team for most of our existence but we have so much to be proud of. We are starting history now in the Yzerman era and entering what could be a golden age of Lightning hockey. If we are going to sing songs, get loud and TRULY legitimize ourselves as a fanbase that does more than just show up to games then these are the years to do it.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I have something much easier than that. You simply have the Lightning produce the team fight song/anthem themselves and play it over the speaker after wins or before the game and you have the lyrics put on the big ass screen hanging over center ice. I'm not talking about O Canada or the Star Spangled Banner. You don't need some musician to start it off, you just play it for the season and by the end (ESPECIALLY if we have a great season and win the division) everyone will be so swelled up with pride they'll sing at the top of their lungs before they leave the stands after we win.

And not having history is hogwash. Since our inception we have continuously had some of the top players in the game on our roster wether it was Vinny, Marty, Stamkos, Puppa, Savard, and even Bradley was still a well respected player despite only being once an all star. Now we have Stamkos and another stud in Drouin. Not to mention a Cup and two separate statues of (Andy should be one) hall of famers in front of the arena. We've been a terrible team for most of our existence but we have so much to be proud of. We are starting history now in the Yzerman era and entering what could be a golden age of Lightning hockey. If we are going to sing songs, get loud and TRULY legitimize ourselves as a fanbase that does more than just show up to games then these are the years to do it.

what if fans don't take to it?

Paul Porter saying "Be The..." and the fans responding "Thunder" was supposed to catch on although most of us (and the media) felt it stupid. Or at least not what the team should be doing.

It has to originate within the fanbase and be the right song/performer at the right time.

Last edited:

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
How the Lightning theme is not Thunderstruck by AC/DC is beyond me.

When they chant THUNDER could get the fans going. I've never been to a game in Tampa, so I guess I'm kind of unqualified to talk about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad