Confirmed with Link: Complete Rebranding, New Logo, Arena Renovations & Vinikville - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Slapshot is stealing my thoughts, almost word for word.

Next thing I know, he's going to say he enjoyed those "thunderstorm" alts of the '90s too, right?

Lightning.jpg

I don't think it looks bad but the uni opens itself up to wayyy too much criticism. Sometimes less is more. The only unique thing about our old look were different numbers that you found nowhere else in the NHL and the A's and C's on the chest. Calgary still uses the flaming A and I think its cool too.

This on the other hand has like 4 unique things

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
KI we could keep everything about our current look and just make a black jersey with silver and blue and I would be all over it. Throw in some victory stripes and its perfect. I think the logo reminds me of gatorade but it works as the "iconic logo" Vinik was looking for.

But still... I want the black back!

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
1) I like the thunderstorm alt as well, so I kinda hope that I wasn't taken for being condescending or anything. Those thunderstorm alts are on NHL 2002 and 2004, and when I played full Lightning seasons, I probably used those about 15 times home and 15 times road each season*.

2) Always preferred black as the primary color over blue as well. I was disappointed when the color hierarchy was re-arranged. I've never been fully able to get behind a uniform that essentially looks like the offspring of a Red Wings and Maple Leafs sexual relationship.

*but I also had the Isles wear their Gorton's outfit probably 80% of the time I played them, so you can question my tastes accordingly. I grew up in the '90s, my avatar is dated to the '90s, virtually every video game I like other than the aforementioned ones are dated to the '90s, and, hell, I own a teal Marlins jacket that I like to wear on the off chance it's cold, even though I'm not a Marlins fan. I'm still not sure January 1, 2000 has ever arrived, in my head.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Anyone know what the 'blue line' STM jersey is going to look like? Only thing I heard it is black and Stamkos.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
KI we could keep everything about our current look and just make a black jersey with silver and blue and I would be all over it. Throw in some victory stripes and its perfect. I think the logo reminds me of gatorade but it works as the "iconic logo" Vinik was looking for.

But still... I want the black back!

I agree but the problem would be that everyone would prefer it to our current home jersey. The team management is still trying to sell people on the new identity, which i happen to love. It's taking time but it is slowly winning people over. So for that reason i think it will be some time before we see one like you described, although i love the idea.

On another note i personally don't see the resemblance to Detroit's jersey that some people keep mentioning, not to mention many teams have the same striping design. I mean you can only be so creative and original when it comes to striping, and Detroit's is different on their home and away. My thought is our new 3rd will look like last years only in black and hopefully without the armpit piping, i don't care for the bolts nickname across the chest but i could live with it but only if they dump the armpit piping.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://tbo.com/news/business/vinik-bids-71m-for-channelside-20140627/
Jeff Vinik is back in the running to acquire Channelside Bay Plaza, with a starting bid of $7.1 million for the shopping and restaurant complex next to the Forum where his hockey team plays.

An auction is scheduled Wednesday for the Channelside complex. Two other parties are also in the running, according to court papers filed late Friday — Port Tampa Bay and the joint venture Liberty Group/Convergent Capital, which is in litigation with the port over the Channelside project.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
i just hope he doesn't build a baseball stadium, id rather see a neighborhood with bars, shopping etc.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
i just hope he doesn't build a baseball stadium, id rather see a neighborhood with bars, shopping etc.

I would love for him to build a baseball stadium. I doubt it ever happens though. Whatever happens, it will make downtown a better place than it is now.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
If he gets Channelside and ConAgra is convinced (with $$$) to relocate that eyesore of a flour mill that is nearby, you've got the makings of a great downtown renewal. A baseball stadium would ensure thousands of bodies coming to the district several nights in many of the weeks throughout the year.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
A group headed by Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik on Monday unveiled its glitzy vision for resurrecting the long-ailing Channelside Bay Plaza in downtown Tampa and tying it into a waterfront entertainment district.

Unifying the district — paving the way for Lightning fans to easily go from the Tampa Bay Times Forum to Channelside restaurants after a game — is a vision Vinik and his partners have had since arriving in Tampa four years ago.

"It was always contemplated that all of this would be connected somehow. It just hasn't happened, and we're intent on making that happen," Lightning CEO Tod Leiweke said. "This could be something cool. This city deserves something better."
http://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...esurrects-his-channelside-live-vision/2186579

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

the concept art makes it hard to understand what they're trying to do.

4 lanes though next to a sidewalk? I don't see it. 2 lanes plus street parking? Pedestrians feel safe.

Alternatively, 3 lanes (middle is shared turning lane) plus the streetside parking on the side they want people to walk down? Also fine. If Vinik wants street life, he's got to limit car capacity and speed. The more lanes that are built mean the more lanes that will be unwelcome to pedestrians.

I'm becoming a bit of an urban planning nerd and Andres Duany gives a good primer on the subject and some relevant thoughts in 1992, some of which fits with what I've mentioned.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Speaking of rebranding and new stuff, how do I get a new name around here? I don't think I want to keep Slapshot forever. I wasn't thinking too hard when I thought of it.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Speaking of rebranding and new stuff, how do I get a new name around here? I don't think I want to keep Slapshot forever. I wasn't thinking too hard when I thought of it.

Like this:
You may change your username once every 365 (120 sponsors, 270 staff) days. Don't change it to something silly unless you're prepared to live with for a year. If you are newly registered the days count starts from your registration date. We allow one account per user and one user per account. Usage of multiple accounts may result in loss of privileges. Do not attempt to register another account to change your username. The option to change usernames is in UserCP--->Settings & Options--->Edit Email & Password. Only enter your password once at the top of the form. The other password fields are only for changing your password. Users with Infraction Level I or greater (10+ points) also will not be able to change names until their points expire. If you are having problems using the software or make an error typing in your new username contact an administrator or super moderator.

Source: HFBoards - FAQ

You have some time to think it over.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Eh oh well I can live with it. After thinking of stuff like SoundofThunder, High Voltage, JonCooper'sGum (yes I know that's a twitter handle lol) and several others, I felt a little cheated. I originally started my account by the name of 91-Timer (instead of one-timer in honor of Stamkos' shot from the circle) but I used a non-valid address (aol instead of yahoo) and the damn name got taken from me.

Best name I've seen is TwistedSustr... whoever you are you are my hero for coming up with something that original and funny.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Back on my incessant New Urbanist propaganda, but the sketch including the streets surrounding the outside of Channelside Live (that may or may not be 4 lanes, although I believe it would be as they included a bridge in order to compensate for it being unappealing to cross)

Jeff Speck is mostly a walkability guy, and he gives some solutions for roads that size in this video, mostly in the second half. The first does include an example of Pasedena using their meter revenues to pay for upkeep, which could be smart for this project, and the space saved from a three lane road to go to bikes, trees, etc. (which I don't see made clear in the sketch either and if it's not being included in an idealized version, it ain't happening). It's also safer.

it may be a restriction of code however, and so you do what you can.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
If he gets Channelside and ConAgra is convinced (with $$$) to relocate that eyesore of a flour mill that is nearby, you've got the makings of a great downtown renewal. A baseball stadium would ensure thousands of bodies coming to the district several nights in many of the weeks throughout the year.

Conagra already has a handshake agreement to get out of there, and they're desperate to - getting trucks in and out of there is a pain in the ass.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Conagra already has a handshake agreement to get out of there, and they're desperate to - getting trucks in and out of there is a pain in the ass.

Cool. I know the company has stated its willingness to relocate to a modern facility elsewhere in Hillsborough County but, given the large expense it would incur, that it would need a financial incentive to actually go through with it.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Ugh, there's a rumor floating around on the Chris Creamer's sports logos message boards that our third jersey next year will be a black version of our BOLTS third. I seriously hope it's not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad