Confirmed with Link: Colorado Claims Christopher Wagner (Anaheim)

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
Most Anaheim fans, who have watched him much more than anyone here (I would imagine) would believe otherwise.

But yes, hopefully he carves out a nice role with us
Logic has left the Anaheim boards as we've continued losing.

We already have four better centers with a fifth one returning in the coming weeks and we have an abundance of bottom six forwards so there was really little place for him in Anaheim and it's easy to see why management didn't think of him as a priority.

If it ends up being a slight upgrade for you guys at 4C then it's a good pickup and it very well could but he hasn't proven much yet. He usually throws one big hit a game and provides energy and seems eager to try to prove he belongs and fans grow attached to that but he hasn't shown much else.

It's a no risk move for Colorado though and it's not out of the realm of possibility that he can be productive regularly on a fourth line so I don't think there should be negativity with the move.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
If it was such a bad move by the ducks, why didnt some else team sign Wagner instead of us? Or are you telling me the avs were first on some kind of a list? How?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If it was such a bad move by the ducks, why didnt some else team sign Wagner instead of us? Or are you telling me the avs were first on some kind of a list? How?

We're 8th on the waiver wire, based off standings I believe. The only teams ahead of us who might've claimed him was Edmonton (actually surprised they didn't) and Carolina. The rest of the teams have enough bottom 6 guys available like Wagner. We didn't.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah I just saw that trying to read up on Wagner.
Nothing really to report -2 in 11 games. Gooseeggs across the board offensively.

To be fair to him, Anaheim is a tire fire offensively and he's been getting very limited minutes. I think he could fit in really well here. Street is an AHL lifer who isn't giving us what we need, and Wagner is a big body who can drive an energy 4th line. I don't expect him to score much, but he's an aggressive, high energy player and he's good on faceoffs.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
To be honest. I think this is a very good claim for us. He adds exactly those things we've been missing from 4th line. I wouldn't be surprised If he becomes new Cliche(claimed and stuck with the team for a while). Nice to add some sandpaper to our offense.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
So Anaheim played him 11 games, if they had only played him 10 he wouldn't have needed waivers, no?

Oh look, the Avs already added him to the roster and he shares my birthday. Just 10 years later ;/

What?? You're only 14???

To be honest. I think this is a very good claim for us. He adds exactly those things we've been missing from 4th line. I wouldn't be surprised If he becomes new Cliche(claimed and stuck with the team for a while). Nice to add some sandpaper to our offense.

I'd prefer he didn't.

Seriously though, I think this is a good claim. We don't necessarily need him to put up a whole lot of points. Stong on the dot, decent defensively and provide energy and he'll be a good addition.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I have in my mind a hybrid of McLeod and Skille, perhaps not as pure grinder as McLeod but also not as much Skill[e] as the latter. Either way I can agree it's good to see Street get a shot, but he belongs in the AHL

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Logic has left the Anaheim boards as we've continued losing.

We already have four better centers with a fifth one returning in the coming weeks and we have an abundance of bottom six forwards so there was really little place for him in Anaheim and it's easy to see why management didn't think of him as a priority.

If it ends up being a slight upgrade for you guys at 4C then it's a good pickup and it very well could but he hasn't proven much yet. He usually throws one big hit a game and provides energy and seems eager to try to prove he belongs and fans grow attached to that but he hasn't shown much else.

It's a no risk move for Colorado though and it's not out of the realm of possibility that he can be productive regularly on a fourth line so I don't think there should be negativity with the move.

You dropped him in favor of Sgarbossa. That is not easy to see why no matter how you spin it.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
My bad. Still seems like a random fee.

Anyways Wagner was really annoying in the preseason opener and I think that's the only time I've watched him closely.

Didn't he have a big hit and score a goal against us immediately after?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
My bad. Still seems like a random fee.

Anyways Wagner was really annoying in the preseason opener and I think that's the only time I've watched him closely.

Didn't he have a big hit and score a goal against us immediately after?

I looked at the boxscore from that game yeah he scored. Must have left an impression.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I just remember him winning a faceoff against Dutchy and then knocking him on his butt.

Its still hard to imagine he is a long term solution to the 4th C spot

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
http://www.tsn.ca/mondaymustread-frustration-bubbles-to-the-surface-in-pittsburgh-1.394537
There appeared to be considerable interest in forward Chris Wagner, who was claimed off waivers by Colorado from Anaheim on Sunday. Wagner, 24, doesn’t have a point in 20 NHL games, but he was praised by head coach Bruce Boudreau for being one of Anaheim’s best forwards in training camp. The Ducks are probably kicking themselves for the waiver claim. If they sent him back to the AHL prior to playing Friday night’s game, he would not have required waivers.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Really suprises me they didn't. They need all the bottom 6 help they can get. Wagner certainly was an upgrade over most of the guys they have there. Oh well. Their loss.

The Oilers have, when healthy, McDavid, RNH, Lander, and Letestu down the middle and even with McDavid hurt they simply move Draisaitl to centre.

They already have a player who doesn't have a single point playing centre (Lander), I don't think they wanted another. They need more production from their bottom-6, I don't know if Wagner would do that for them. He'd provide a ton of energy and grit for them but the Oilers have players like Hendricks, Klinkhammer, Korpikoski, and Gazdic providing that, provided they're healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad