Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Let’s just take a step back and admire how far our broadcast has come in 5 years. Remember when we had Julie Browman and the used car salesmen seeming airhead who would rotate from the Nuggets desk. There must have been some new Producer hired or something.

McGahey showed a lot of promise last night. Easygoing vibe with a friendly chuckle at the ready. Funny because we went to DU same year and were campus enemies cuz politics and ‘04 election lol. Now he has in line for both our dream jobs and I couldn’t be happier for him.

Reactions: 5280

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I mean I don’t think he’s the greatest color commentator out there. But the hate he gets from some people is interesting to me.
I certainly don't hate him as a person but he isn't a plus for a broadcast. He's distracting and doesn't add anything which makes his presence a net negative value.

I'll never understand why they asked Haynes to step down but not him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I certainly don't hate him as a person but he isn't a plus for a broadcast. He's distracting and doesn't add anything which makes his presence a net negative value.

I'll never understand why they asked Haynes to step down but not him.

If the stories are to be believed, they wanted to promote Moser. They don't really have anyone waiting in the wings for McNabb unless you believe they'll move Rycroft in there, and I'd rather they keep him right where he is. I don't really understand the McNabb hate much either. He's not as good now as he once was when Kelly was still around but I have no problem with him. I didn't like how he and Haynes meshed though.

Haynes was never a good fit for the TV IMO. And I'm just guessing but I might not have been the only one who thought that. And I gotta be honest, I don't miss him at all. I think he'll be fine. The Detroit Tigers just fired their entire TV ensemble because they got into a fight so maybe he should apply there. I'd LOVE to see what happens when the odd reference to the hockey team down the street comes up.

On a side note I thought the Altitude coverage of the Nuggets was perfection when it started with Marlowe and Hanzlik. Hanzlik was awesome, then they went and screwed it all up by bringing in Scott Hastings. I like Hastings from an entertainment standpoint but Hanzlik was way, way better. Isn't LaPhonso Ellis doing color commentary for them as well?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If the stories are to be believed, they wanted to promote Moser. They don't really have anyone waiting in the wings for McNabb unless you believe they'll move Rycroft in there, and I'd rather they keep him right where he is. I don't really understand the McNabb hate much either. He's not as good now as he once was when Kelly was still around but I have no problem with him. I didn't like how he and Haynes meshed though.

Haynes was never a good fit for the TV IMO. And I'm just guessing but I might not have been the only one who thought that. And I gotta be honest, I don't miss him at all. I think he'll be fine. The Detroit Tigers just fired their entire TV ensemble because they got into a fight so maybe he should apply there. I'd LOVE to see what happens when the odd reference to the hockey team down the street comes up.

On a side note I thought the Altitude coverage of the Nuggets was perfection when it started with Marlowe and Hanzlik. Hanzlik was awesome, then they went and screwed it all up by bringing in Scott Hastings. I like Hastings from an entertainment standpoint but Hanzlik was way, way better. Isn't LaPhonso Ellis doing color commentary for them as well?

Hanzlik is a top notch guy.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Get McMondays straight in the bin please. It was like the last nine games of Moser not tolerating McNab's bullshit never happened.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I am actually enjoying McNab a lot more this season than in the last several. Mostly because Moser actually keeps the focus on the game at hand a lot more than Haynes did. Big, big improvement for me.

Connor has a wonderful voice and disposition and with time I suspect he will be a quality TV PBP guy.

The only reason I ever liked Mike Haynes on TV was because his name wasn't Doug McLeod.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't understand the hate for McNab, I think he's a fine color guy who sometimes goes off on tangents but adds some good insight. That said, I do hope Ryker eventually replaces him because he has an excellent hockey mind I think he will add some really keen analysis to the broadcast while using fewer words.

Reactions: MarkT

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I don't mind McNab. He's getting on in years and basically repeats himself over the season, but there's something comforting about it. That said, the Avs need to have a guy in the wings. Whether that's Rycroft or Liles, I don't know. But it would be nice to get someone who has a least a little history with the team. By all rights, McNab should have been in Boston all these years. But it's not uncommon, I suppose. See Potvin in Florida or Esposito in Tampa.

Reactions: MarkT

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
McNabb just doesn't even try to break down a play. After a goal against it's just a bunch of platitudes about the guy who scored it. It'd be nice if he would explain why the play occurred. And he doesn't point out broader trends in games, like line matching, or point out guys when someone's been benched, etc. Basically he's unwilling to say anything negative about anyone. It's irksome.

Reactions: Balthazar

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Those who think McNab is fine need to listen to other broadcasts. He's not fine. You can always listen to any HNIC guys to hear how color commentary should be done. You'll actually learn about the game and players but more importantly, they don't talk about old anecdotes nor prevent the pbp guy to do his job.

I was listening TSN radio's Sergio Momesso doing color commentary on the Habs game the other day. Holy shit, day and night with what McNab provides. He was explaining plays, what the players were thinking and why they did that...he was very informative. It's so different it's like it isn't even the same job.

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
McNabb just doesn't even try to break down a play. After a goal against it's just a bunch of platitudes about the guy who scored it. It'd be nice if he would explain why the play occurred. And he doesn't point out broader trends in games, like line matching, or point out guys when someone's been benched, etc. Basically he's unwilling to say anything negative about anyone. It's irksome.
McNab has his orders he can't be negative on Avs own channel. I have heard him and Haynes off air many times due to a miss with Nhl GC many years ago they were far from positive

Reactions: 22FUTON9

AvHooligan

Oct 10, 2015
McNab is alright. I just think it's hilarious how he always says "you know..." like 50 times a game.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I don't mind McNab. He's getting on in years and basically repeats himself over the season, but there's something comforting about it. That said, the Avs need to have a guy in the wings. Whether that's Rycroft or Liles, I don't know. But it would be nice to get someone who has a least a little history with the team. By all rights, McNab should have been in Boston all these years. But it's not uncommon, I suppose. See Potvin in Florida or Esposito in Tampa.
Cody McLeod is coming back y'all. Altitude is cable....the "f-bombs" will rain down like glorious wonder.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yeah...those that say McNab's stories are getting old are correct. He's been doing the gig for how many years now? The thing is, he was actually one hell of a player in his day. He had skill, he also played a rough and tumble game when needed. I've always appreciated his ability to talk about both skill and toughness...but yeah, he's told most of the stories already a couple of times. I do believe next year would be a great time to bring someone new in. It will be weird if it is someone who hasn't played with the AVs before though. I really don't want to hear about stories from when someone played with the Wild or Dallas.

The color guy that replaces McNab is going to be a very big deal when Pete decides he's done. He has been called upon to do Olympic broadcasts. His breadth of knowledge is pooh-poohed by many of us on this board because he likes to take a nip or five while calling games to loosen up the vocal chords...but he's been around and seen a lot and knows the game, the players, the coaches and strategies. That's why I've liked him so much more this year....he's got someone who is reeling him in, keeping the focus on the game at hand and not allowing the broadcast coverage to become stories from the olden days. Moser is allowing him to provide input but not go beyond just providing color to the game at hand. I think Peter has been more effective this year* than he has been in close to a dozen years.

*Small sample size applies.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Can anyone give a brief overview on the Roy/AVs portion?
Wasn't a whole lot, ROR just kind of chuckled at how if you messed up on the man on man coverage there would be hell to pay. Very intense guy.

Said during the offer sheet saga there were definitely some guys who weren't happy with his holdout. Friedman also mentioned how ROR is bit of an out of the box thinker, independent, and the Avs/teams didn't really like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad