Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
How do people like BSN for their content (not their, personalities)? I really like The Athletic for league wide and coverage of other sports but their Avs coverage is quite bland. I know he's new but everything Clark has written so far has been a big fat meh.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
How do people like BSN for their content (not their, personalities)?

There's no accredited media that even come close to BSN when it comes to AVS coverage. They have pretty much 3 guys working full time on the AVS. You're not missing a whole lot for not joining the website though, Twitter + podcast will cover about 80% of their work/news/scoops.

That said, I like the player grades after each game and I paid the subscription mainly because I want them to continue. I understand that there's no reason for them to work if there's no money coming in (even for the free content).

Reactions: The Merchant

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
How do people like BSN for their content (not their, personalities)? I really like The Athletic for league wide and coverage of other sports but their Avs coverage is quite bland. I know he's new but everything Clark has written so far has been a big fat meh.

They're worth the sub. You won't find more passionate, extensive Avs coverage anywhere else.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

I understand that their personalities aren't for everyone, and I cannot expect people to like them personally (at least AJ) like I do. For one, AJ and I have a friendship that has blossomed outside of hockey, as we tend to like like a lot of the same everyday things and hobbies. Yeah, we'll privately talk hockey from time-to-time, but it's mainly just friendly BSing that he and I do.

Now that said, I do strongly believe that in terms of hockey coverage, BSN is the best at covering the Avs. For all the warts and things people say about Dater, the guy busts his ass on a daily basis for them. Yeah, people may disagree with his personal opinion on things, but the guy works. And I've said it many times before, but he has a straight connection to Joe Sakic. So when Joe wants to get something out, most of the time it's going to come from BSN via AD.

The Athletic is likely to catch up at some point, but right now BSN just believes that in order to remain competitive, they need to be "full-court press" on the coverage, so that's what they've been doing.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I really don't quite see what the big problem is with A.J. He doesn't bother me at all. I like him and Dater, though the latter's hot takes on certain players can really irritate me from time to time. Both of them write well and I've no doubt they work hard.

I heard both McNab and Rycroft were screaming bloody murder about that boarding call last night, not a good look if true. Please don't take a page out of the Jack Edwards playbook. I didn't see the hit but it sounds like it was a legit call, even if Little-Stat flopped a bit (again, didn't see it, just going off what I read on Twitter).

I've had to listen to Conor a couple times, dude's got the perfect voice for radio and calls the game well. I like the current setup, even though I still think there should be two guys on the radio side.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I really don't quite see what the big problem is with A.J. He doesn't bother me at all. I like him and Dater, though the latter's hot takes on certain players can really irritate me from time to time. Both of them write well and I've no doubt they work hard.

I heard both McNab and Rycroft were screaming bloody murder about that boarding call last night, not a good look if true. Please don't take a page out of the Jack Edwards playbook. I didn't see the hit but it sounds like it was a legit call, even if Little-Stat flopped a bit (again, didn't see it, just going off what I read on Twitter).

I've had to listen to Conor a couple times, dude's got the perfect voice for radio and calls the game well. I like the current setup, even though I still think there should be two guys on the radio side.

The issue was that Stat was in a position where he could’ve been hit and then turned his face and body to the boards as he was about to be hit. So he put himself in a vulnerable position. I’m not that upset with the penalty being called, but I do agree with Ryker because that is how you’ll get yourself hurt in the league.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

He turned at the last second when he saw Zads coming, you can't put yourself in a vulnerable position like that and expect to draw a penalty. It was a borderline call at best.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
He turned because he saw Zads coming and he turtled. I don't mind the call, but I don't think Zads had the time to adjust. Not a dirty hit, it just ended up a little unfortunate and I'm glad nobody got hurt.

Reactions: klozge

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He turned because he saw Zads coming and he turtled. I don't mind the call, but I don't think Zads had the time to adjust. Not a dirty hit, it just ended up a little unfortunate and I'm glad nobody got hurt.

Basically. The call wasn’t that big a deal, was only a minor. And it’s something Stat will learn from.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany

If Rycroft really wanted Mittelstadt to get penalized for diving (I read this in the Sabres GDT) he needs to give his head a shake. I don't think McNab said anything horrible about the hit.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Understood, I didn't see either thing, so I'm just going off what I read on Twitter.

I just hope they're not leaning toward Skip Bayless-level antics in order to drive up ratings. There's no need to go full-homer, just provide proper analysis and insight and move on.

Reactions: klozge

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
If Rycroft really wanted Mittelstadt to get penalized for diving (I read this in the Sabres GDT) he needs to give his head a shake. I don't think McNab said anything horrible about the hit.

He didn't want him to get penalized for diving - he just wants the league to start penalizing players who do that, and I think he's right. When a player turns into the boards just as he's about to be hit, it should be coincidental minors. So Z should get the boarding call, but Stat should have had a penalty too. I'm not sure what you'd call the penalty - probably just generic unsportsmanlike.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
MacKinnon stays hungry for Avalanche after setting goal-streak mark

"I didn't even know I could do that," MacKinnon said of his success last season. "I didn't rule it out, but I wasn't expecting even a point per game last year. I just wanted to get 70 and I thought that'd be awesome. It's tough to go from 50 to 100. I didn't really think that. I'd be lying if I said I did. But now that I've kind of unlocked that I'm not going to cap myself at a certain number."

"There were games where it almost felt like you were back in minor hockey," Avalanche defenseman Tyson Barrie said. "Some nights he seemed unstoppable, and he was."

Reactions: RareDangles

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I understand that their personalities aren't for everyone, and I cannot expect people to like them personally (at least AJ) like I do. For one, AJ and I have a friendship that has blossomed outside of hockey, as we tend to like like a lot of the same everyday things and hobbies. Yeah, we'll privately talk hockey from time-to-time, but it's mainly just friendly BSing that he and I do.

Now that said, I do strongly believe that in terms of hockey coverage, BSN is the best at covering the Avs. For all the warts and things people say about Dater, the guy busts his ass on a daily basis for them. Yeah, people may disagree with his personal opinion on things, but the guy works. And I've said it many times before, but he has a straight connection to Joe Sakic. So when Joe wants to get something out, most of the time it's going to come from BSN via AD.

The Athletic is likely to catch up at some point, but right now BSN just believes that in order to remain competitive, they need to be "full-court press" on the coverage, so that's what they've been doing.
giphy-2.gif

Reactions: UncleRisto

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wait, is Liles done with being on the broadcast?
I haven't seen anything that says that personally? I hear that he lives in Vail so he does broadcasting as a part-time gig considering the driving distances between the places. Rycroft is the full-time employee.

Reactions: Avs91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad