Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm not in Denver but the media situation there with the absolute lack of remotely professional AVS coverage is a disgrace and I've been vocal about it in the past. Dater and AJ get shit on regularly but at least they are there and they care.

Look at this Denver talk radio clown arguing with Dater:

and the saddest tweet:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Evans and Clough used to do a fantastic job with Avs coverage/commentary, I don’t know what he’s been doing on Twitter lately though.

I’m still very, very bitter KSE yanked the Avs off The Fan at the worst possible time, they should’ve just left the radio completely alone.

As for newspaper coverage, it’s kinda scattered right now. Frei is at Mile High Sports, Haefele and Dater are at BSN, and Chambers and :laugh: Kiszla at the Post. No one's really running with it right now (I’d say BSN has had the best coverage thus far though).

I’m really pining for an Athletic Denver chapter, hopefully they set up shop and bring someone like Katie Brown, who was unceremoniously canned for no good reason in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Balthazar

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
My monthly rip on the Denver Post, you see who they fired and who's still with the newspaper and that all needs to be said about what they value in. Their CEO/shareholder head(s) are so far up their ass they don't know who is competent and who isn't. Sucks that Dater had to talk to young girls on his drinking binge and Frei had to make an anti-PC comment at the worst possible time. I would gladly take them back over the trash we have in Chambers and Kiszla.

Yeah, the coverage of the Avs have sucked for years. It's not just for the Avs, Nuggets and Rockies coverage sucks as well. I would say that Rockies would probably be the second most talked about team in the Colorado area, but that's solely due to playing in the months nobody else is playing in. Hell, the Colorado coverage talks more about Lebron and NBA playoffs than Nuggets, except Jokic which MacKinnon probably is starting to get the same treatment (some hype here and there on casual broadcasts).

It is the MAIN reason why I cannot stand the Broncos, when I have to wake up and want to listen to some sports news the ****s at The Fan and the local news only have garbage stories such as "Tebow Breakfast Burrito at local cafe" or "Peyton Manning takes his morning coffee with coconut cream". Just complete and utter **** like that it's absolutely useless to listen or watch sports news anymore. The best sports guy was Vic Lomardi and now he's a Kroenke guy so that's a good thing. Problem though is that even if he has his own radio show, nobody I know listens to Kroenke's radio except the diehard Nugget and Avs fans. The casual bandwagon fan still listens to The Fan.

With that said, Mike Evans isn't that wrong though IMHO, Avs are sort of irrelevant from multiple seasons of losing. Why would fans enjoy this team from almost a decade of losing with fluke seasons, when I absolutely hate it, but you have Broncos rise and fall from grace? It's quite a major story how a team from mediocrity went to a powerhouse defencive club just to become one of the worst teams this year. The best thing that can happen to CO sports is have the Broncos become the Calgary Flames of the NFL, just two decades worth of 14th overall picks would do wonders. It would still be a throwball town first and foremost, but there wouldn't be huge headline stories like we're seeing from how Godawful they have been lately.

Reactions: Balthazar

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Forgot to mention Mile High Hockey, Burgundy Rainbow (which I believe was born from the whole MHH mass exodus), and Mile High Sticking. I recently unfollowed Sticking as I just didn’t like their content at all, but still follow the other two. I guess there’s no love lost between MHH and Dater.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Forgot to mention Mile High Hockey, Burgundy Rainbow (which I believe was born from the whole MHH mass exodus), and Mile High Sticking. I recently unfollowed Sticking as I just didn’t like their content at all, but still follow the other two. I guess there’s no love lost between MHH and Dater.

This is as niche as it gets.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Bitch all you want whether Dater and AJ have legit inside sources, their Avs coverage is the best out there and I haven't had to follow anyone at the DP for a while now because of them. They get my support. Dater is kind of an idiot who really doesn't have much sense when it comes to modern day hockey but AJ does a pretty good job of keeping him in check.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I still like Dater as a writer, though I still think he's Hot Take Central, especially on Twitter. I agree, Haefele is pretty balanced and does a good job of looking at the organization at all levels.

I lost what little respect I had for Chambers when he posted that asinine article blasting the Avs for buying out Beauchemin.

Kiz blocked me on Twitter, so...:laugh:

And while I think it's fine to supply constructive criticism, comparing Burgundy Rainbow to Buzzfeed clickbait is nonsense. Maybe you don't like their content but it's clear they put in the work, and I have yet to see a truly hot take on their website. And FFS, the website just practically launched.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I admire guys and gals who put in work to write up those pieces. They are fans and have no financial aspirations from it, but they still do it, so kudos to them. There will always be some stuff you disagree with, but that the nature of the business.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Totally and completely unrelated, but I've not been a Colorado resident since 2010 but still have a bunch of friends and still follow the news there...KBPI moved to 107.9 and 106.7 is a country station!?!? Ugh.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I really appreciate the coverage that BSN offers. AJ and Dater put work in, ask good questions and write pretty decent articles. They don't really know hockey, and their speculation is often completely baseless, but their straight up coverage is very respectable. AJ in particular gained a lot of respect from me when he travelled to the draft. He put out a lot of good work that week.

When they tweet out player grades the first thing I do is scroll down to see who did the grades. If it's TMV I go back to the top and read, if it's anybody else I close it out and don't read anymore.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They don't really know hockey, and their speculation is often completely baseless
I think AJ knows hockey. He's no Pierre McGuire but he knows the game. As for Dater, well, sometimes it's hard to tell.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Yeah, originally then they merged KAZY and KBPI at 106.7. Then it became BPI, the "New Music Revolution" while I was at college. Ugh.

So long as good ol' reliable KBCO is still standing all is well with the world.

Shit, that just brought me back. I had to look it up, lol. KAZY used to be 106.7 and KBPI used to be 105.9...Definitely a couple of my go-to's back in the day, along with 103.5 the FOX and yeah.....97.3 KBCO

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
you can't bitch and complain about "mainstream coverage" when Kroenke's empire has basically bought out all of the media coverage of the team and pulled out of all the mainstream outlets. If I was The Fan, I wouldn't cover the team either. They moved the Avs to some other station, at the Kroenke's direction. At that point, The Fan has no loyalty to anyone and is only going to cover the team(s) that brings in the most audience.

It's no coincidence that the Altitude radio and TV stations are the only ones covering the team at this point.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don’t know who Mike Evans is, but I don’t agree with his thoughts or strategy at all. Maybe it’s best if he stays quiet.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I was recently wondering what had happened to KAZY.
Now I know.

And KBPI is trying to invade the Springs, where KILO is king.
I like having a choice, but they're essentially the same.
Hate to see my long time friends at KILO get put out of business by a Denver station.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Growing up in the southern suburbs of Denver (Parker/Elizabeth), we were always trying to tap into KILO whenever we could - great station

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Totally and completely unrelated, but I've not been a Colorado resident since 2010 but still have a bunch of friends and still follow the news there...KBPI moved to 107.9 and 106.7 is a country station!?!? Ugh.

In my mind, KBPI is supposed to be 105.9.

107.9 should be Y108.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad