Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Interesting... Per DP (I can't link it currently), Moser goes to TV, Conor McGahey to the radio booth. Glad we got back McGahey back from Vegas - seemed like he did really well there, but it makes sense for him to be in Denver if he's maintaining his other local gigs.

Cool. Wasn't McGahey doing TV for Vegas? Makes sense for him to come back still surprising he'd give that up for radio.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
So they sort of did go outside the organization to fill the radio PBP job. :naughty:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Can't help but think this has been building for a while. I doubt Haynes was just blindsided with this, but perhaps in time that story will be told. It'll be interesting to see if he resurfaces elsewhere.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Haynes was an awful PBP guy. He cheered for the team but in terms of the quality of his commentating, it was genuinely bad, I can't help but think that all the tears over it are by people who just enjoy status-quo, probably the pro-Patrick Roy crowd too judging by reddit.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Was looking for some old Mike Haynes clips when I found the clip that inspired my title. At least we aren't losing our drunk uncle McNab!

Reactions: Ararana

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Bad choice, I dont know who's worse, Haynes or Moser. I think Moser is worse, will make it hard for me to watch the Avs feed

Reactions: BrickAHL

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If Moser is the same on TV as he is on the radio. You’re right it’ll be rough. But I’m assuming he’ll calm down some on tv.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Haynes has, to me, a much better/smoother voice for sports broadcasting.

Again as I've said here before, he was employed by a company that is owned (essentially) by the team. A sense of homerism should have been expected (on top of Altitude not being a national network). So if people had such an issue w/ him being a homer (which is fine--he was), then I'm not sure why there's celebrating over Moser since he was somehow an even bigger homer than Haynes (on top of not having as good a voice for sports broadcasting).

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Again as I've said here before, he was employed by a company that is owned (essentially) by the team. A sense of homerism should have been expected (on top of Altitude not being a national network). So if people had such an issue w/ him being a homer (which is fine--he was), then I'm not sure why there's celebrating over Moser since he was somehow an even bigger homer than Haynes (on top of not having as good a voice for sports broadcasting).

That’s what I liked so much about Haynes and McNab. They have very nice voices to listen to.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I guess it's a matter of taste. Haynes' voice kind of grated on me, I can't really pinpoint why, but he didn't have a voice I really enjoyed listening to. Moser isn't my absolute favorite in that regard either, I just like his style more.

And yeah, IDGAF about homerism. I want to hear somebody get excited about my team. And Haynes and McNab weren't even that bad when it comes to around the league announcers, they had time to gush over guys like Boeser last year too. The only exception was Haynes' hilarious vendetta against the Wings, which was more funny to me than annoying.

Reactions: Avalanche

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Wow...some of these takes...:laugh:

People who are okay with Haynes think Moser is too over-the-top!? Really? Haynes?

And honestly, how many people here have a problem with the home broadcast team being too homer-ish? So long as it doesn't cross into Jack Edwards/Drew Remenda-levels of absurdity I'm fine with it.

And anyone who says Moser is more of a homer than Haynes is flat-out wrong. As I have to keep pointing out, Moser rarely hesitates to call out the team when they're playing poorly, I don't recall Haynes ever, ever doing that.

Again, if you hate Moser that much, you are more than entitled to your opinion, but I really don't think Haynes was far superior, if at all.

It remains to be seen what kind of rapport he and McNab will have. I loved the dynamic between Kelly and McNab, didn't much care for McNab and Haynes, not sure why they didn't work but they didn't for me.

Reactions: 5280

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It remains to be seen what kind of rapport he and McNab will have. I loved the dynamic between Kelly and McNab, didn't much care for McNab and Haynes, not sure why they didn't work but they didn't for me.
McNab did come down to Moser's booth for games that were nationally broadcast. I didn't hear that often enough to really get a sense of the chemistry but they have at least some familiarity with each other.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
McNab did come down to Moser's booth for games that were nationally broadcast. I didn't hear that often enough to really get a sense of the chemistry but they have at least some familiarity with each other.

Yeah, I didn't hear much of their calls but I heard Mose interrupted McNab a lot, but IMO that's understandable since Moser usually has to do all the talking himself. They'll be doing some rehearsal and training to work things out, I'm relatively confident they'll do just fine.

The one thing I miss a lot was way back in the day when Mike Evans (before he turned into a bitter shrew on Twitter) and Sandy Clough gave Moser non-stop shit whenever they had the chance. They really leaned into him when Moser was making TV appearances recapping Avs games.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Wow...some of these takes...:laugh:

People who are okay with Haynes think Moser is too over-the-top!? Really? Haynes?

And honestly, how many people here have a problem with the home broadcast team being too homer-ish? So long as it doesn't cross into Jack Edwards/Drew Remenda-levels of absurdity I'm fine with it.

And anyone who says Moser is more of a homer than Haynes is flat-out wrong. As I have to keep pointing out, Moser rarely hesitates to call out the team when they're playing poorly, I don't recall Haynes ever, ever doing that.

Again, if you hate Moser that much, you are more than entitled to your opinion, but I really don't think Haynes was far superior, if at all.

Just because Moser "rarely hesitates to call out the team when they're playing poorly" doesn't mean he's not more of a homer than Haynes. That's not the only qualification. What I generally saw people get on Haynes for was his reaction to when another team scores, and then use that to say "what a homer". Like they were surprised the PBP guy for the regional sports network that is owned by the same people who own the Avalanche would have a bias (however large or small) towards that team.

And I'm sorry, we have differing opinions here--I find Moser to be way more of a homer towards the Avs than Haynes was. And that's not saying Haynes wasn't--he was, I just didn't give a shit. My primary disappointment with Moser getting the gig is that I don't think he has a suitable voice for televised sports broadcasting. Now of course I'm basing that off of listening to him on the radio, where you have a lot more to do since your audience can't see what's going on. So perhaps his style changes a bit when he's on TV since his primary audience will be able to see what's on the ice, we'll have to see on that.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah, I didn't hear much of their calls but I heard Mose interrupted McNab a lot, but IMO that's understandable since Moser usually has to do all the talking himself. They'll be doing some rehearsal and training to work things out, I'm relatively confident they'll do just fine.

The one thing I miss a lot was way back in the day when Mike Evans (before he turned into a bitter shrew on Twitter) and Sandy Clough gave Moser non-stop **** whenever they had the chance. They really leaned into him when Moser was making TV appearances recapping Avs games.
Yeah, the Avs didn't get the kind of national broadcast attention that would let Moser and McNab get into much of a rhythm together, just a game here and there, it probably wasn't something Altitude spent any time preparing for, just using McNab when he was free.

Reactions: Pokecheque

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Is it too much to ask to have Lauren Gardner do the play by play (with picture in picture) while Rycroft and McNabb tell stories and banter?

Reactions: ASmileyFace

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Your guys' obsession with Lauren is so strange, not calling her ugly because she's far from it, but just really weird. Of course you lads know who I and @Murzu like so I won't mention her here - I don't want a Hoffman 2.0 situation over here. :sarcasm:

New Yorkers have terrible voices, never met one who was articulate at all - they all sound like thugs. However, I will admit that Haynes was one of the better NYers I've listened to...but again it's not really the homerism when it comes to Haynes - he simply just sucked at announcing hockey. Moser will destroy him with his PBP, but Mark is a gigantic duche who thinks he's superior over everyone.

Reactions: Murzu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad