Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Haynes has, to me, a much better/smoother voice for sports broadcasting.

Again as I've said here before, he was employed by a company that is owned (essentially) by the team. A sense of homerism should have been expected (on top of Altitude not being a national network). So if people had such an issue w/ him being a homer (which is fine--he was), then I'm not sure why there's celebrating over Moser since he was somehow an even bigger homer than Haynes (on top of not having as good a voice for sports broadcasting).
I want to listen to a homer when I listen to the broadcast of my team. It shouldn't get (too) silly but I want a bit of colour. Problem with Haynes wasn't him being a homer. Problem with Haynes was he was one of the worst in his job in the NHL.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Problem with Haynes was he was one of the worst in his job in the NHL.
Moser is used to describe the game to people that can't see the action so chances are he'll be much better than Haynes to describe what's happening on the ice. If I'm Altitude I tell Moser that telling stories and having interviews* is OK only when the puck is not in play. If he can follow those very simple guidelines he'll be better than Haynes regardless of anything else.

*This isn't only up to him, but the whole broadcast needs to get their shit together. I don't want to hear Lauren when stuff is happening on the ice. There's plenty of time for that between the plays/periods.

Reactions: MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
The only thing that makes sense for this situation is that, for whatever reason (maybe he was upset with the idea of being moved to radio) he decided to just up and quit with no notice. That could explain why no announcement was made and why it seemed so sudden - I can't imagine him leaving suddenly being the team's choice. I also wonder if maybe there's something legal here with a contract violation perhaps, which would explain why nobody is talking about it and we haven't heard anything official.

member 116861

Moser is used to describe the game to people that can't see the action so chances are he'll be much better than Haynes to describe what's happening on the ice. If I'm Altitude I tell Moser that telling stories and having interviews* is OK only when the puck is not in play. If he can follow those very simple guidelines he'll be better than Haynes regardless of anything else.

*This isn't only up to him, but the whole broadcast needs to get their **** together. I don't want to hear Lauren when stuff is happening on the ice. There's plenty of time for that between the plays/periods.

I disagree :dunno:

I don't need them telling me what is happening when I can see it for myself. Ideally there would be zero commentators but I always enjoyed Peter and Mike Haynes shooting the shit.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Never had any problems with Haynes and McNab going on tangent during play. It's on TV so I can see the play myself. As long as the strories are good I don't mind.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

I don't need them telling me what is happening when I can see it for myself. Ideally there would be zero commentators but I always enjoyed Peter and Mike Haynes shooting the ****.

If describing the play isn't important why not turning off the sound and start a sport podcast.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
IF you have surround sound can you still unplug/turn off the center channel that usually has the commentators?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I don't need them telling me what is happening when I can see it for myself. Ideally there would be zero commentators but I always enjoyed Peter and Mike Haynes shooting the ****.

Same, North American sports commentary is annoying once you watch a broadcast that doesn't have any, or is minimal.

I agree for the most part. Can't have them going off topic every other minute but I like it when commentators have some fun. Story time with McNab is usually good for a laugh and I don't mind when they have Lauren giving reports from ice level during play either. That happens in every sport.

Also, if they just stuck to the script, how would we hear about McNab's friends around the league texting him about how awesome some Avs prospect is? I need that.

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
Many years ago I think when we had Raycroft and Budaj I had access to a NHL stream service ESPN something
and I could hear McNab and Haynes talk off air during power breaks it wasn't very positive words at the time hehe good times. Anyway will be interesting to see what Moser bring I will miss Haynes sad voice when the other team score.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
McNab was constantly getting interrupted by Moser the few times they did radio together, if that doesn't change on TV, its gonna be really funny and really bad at the same time.

Edit: I think I've said this before actually, but it just really seemed rude and unprofessional the way Moser would just interrupt McNab when he was trying to do his color commentary or analysis or whatever. I dont think Moser did that on purpose, he's just way too hyper and stuff. Gotta tone it down a little

Last edited:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I agree for the most part. Can't have them going off topic every other minute but I like it when commentators have some fun. Story time with McNab is usually good for a laugh and I don't mind when they have Lauren giving reports from ice level during play either. That happens in every sport.

Also, if they just stuck to the script, how would we hear about McNab's friends around the league texting him about how awesome some Avs prospect is? I need that.
Doesn't have to tell us that during the play.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Like others have said, Moser is used to having to try to describe everything going on for people who cant see what's happening on the ice so I'm sure there will be an adjustment period for him. I'll reserve judgment on him until the end of the season.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Like others have said, Moser is used to having to try to describe everything going on for people who cant see what's happening on the ice so I'm sure there will be an adjustment period for him. I'll reserve judgment on him until the end of the season.
Seriously, give the guy a chance at least. There's a good chance Moser will win everybody over very quickly.

Clainer09

Sep 12, 2012
Prince Edward Island
I'm excited for Moser to take over. Much needed new blood for the new era. Definitely won't miss Haynes pretending the viewer hadn't ever seen a hockey game before "So Peter, explain to us WHAT happens when...." "Peter, so what does this mean for folks at home that might not understand..." Cringe-worthy stuff from Mike 95% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad